And the Head Coach Clock restarts. Tick-Tock....

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
TMH

Re: And the Head Coach Clock restarts. Tick-Tock....

Post by TMH » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 pm

You can tell it's pouring outside. I have too much free time on my hands.

To win a National Championship in FCS football, we need to get past North Dakota St. So what do we need to do to get that type of program.
1.)ND St. is funded by the state with a tuition of $8K in-state and 19K out of state. They currently have about 12,000 under grads. Lehigh has 5,000 undergrads and the tuition is about $60K

2.) ND State has an acceptance rate of 94%. Lehigh is at about 22%

3.)ND State has a graduation rate of 56%. Lehigh is at about 88%

4.) ND State funds a total of 14 sports. Lehigh funds 24

5.)Klieman just signed a contract for $300K. This is what I found on Lehigh.

https://www.paysa.com/salaries/lehigh-u ... ball-coach

My contention is that we need to stop focusing on being National Champs and begin focusing on being Patriot League Champs in anything first. Then we can begin to raise the bar.

RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:46 pm

We agree. My point is we should always strive to be the best we can be. PL titles. A W or 2 in playoffs would be nice but not getting curbstomped is more important now.
Natl title :D. That would need unvelievable luck and likely heavenly intervention. :D :shock: . What the heck maybe someday.
Weather vane teams a different level particularly the MVFC. Thats a discussion for sometime in the future if PL ever undoes our chains. :D
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:45 pm

TMH wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 pm You can tell it's pouring outside. I have too much free time on my hands.

To win a National Championship in FCS football, we need to get past North Dakota St. So what do we need to do to get that type of program.
1.)ND St. is funded by the state with a tuition of $8K in-state and 19K out of state. They currently have about 12,000 under grads. Lehigh has 5,000 undergrads and the tuition is about $60K

My contention is that we need to stop focusing on being National Champs and begin focusing on being Patriot League Champs in anything first. Then we can begin to raise the bar.
Doesn't seem to make sense. Brisson, Sutyak, and Roberts have to be making much more than that. HC range has to a be in the $150-200K range.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:01 pm

I wonder where paysa gets their info. Agree with ngineer that they do seem out of sync with our coaches other than the low pay assts. Particularly Roberts and Brisson.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:40 pm

I don't see what the big issue is with Lehigh's overall commitment to football. If the goal is to win the PL they're the best at it. Every school in FCS has institutional hurdles and obstacles. The vast majority of the state schools at the FCS level have serious budget/funding issues. Just look at what has happened to Delaware's program in recent years. The Blue Hen administration basically implemented a PL'esque mindset 8-9 years ago when they were at odds with Keeler. They seem to be recommitting to the program by updating The Tub and paying some $$ for Rocco. Time will tell if they can become a power again. NDSU is an absurd barometer to measure success by right now.

In the grand scheme of things, what plagues Lehigh is far more related to the Patriot League than the school itself. Lehigh was one of, if not the first, school in the league to begin to grumble about scholarships in the early 2000s. The biggest issue with Lehigh right now is the defense sucks. If the defense was better they're competing with the CAA and top Ivies. I think that's always been the reasonable expectation; not national title or bust. The PL rules stink but Colgate proved this year it's still possible like it has been for the last 20 years. If these academic powers figured out how to succeed on a national level under the need base model, they should be able to figure this out too. There has to be some grey areas the truly ambitious programs in the league can take advantage of. For instance I'd red shirt freshman for high ankle sprains and pulled hamstrings. They just never heal... :)

The one thing that will continue to really bug me is the ability to host playoff games. The administration owes it to their student athletes to reward them with staying in Bethlehem when they win 9 or 10 games. If you don't need lights then put in the coin for a home game! The 2016 team had no business being sent on a god-awful 8 hour bus ride to Durham.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:40 pm I don't see what the big issue is with Lehigh's overall commitment to football. If the goal is to win the PL they're the best at it. Every school in FCS has institutional hurdles and obstacles. The vast majority of the state schools at the FCS level have serious budget/funding issues. Just look at what has happened to Delaware's program in recent years. The Blue Hen administration basically implemented a PL'esque mindset 8-9 years ago when they were at odds with Keeler. They seem to be recommitting to the program by updating The Tub and paying some $$ for Rocco. Time will tell if they can become a power again. NDSU is an absurd barometer to measure success by right now.

In the grand scheme of things, what plagues Lehigh is far more related to the Patriot League than the school itself. Lehigh was one of, if not the first, school in the league to begin to grumble about scholarships in the early 2000s. The biggest issue with Lehigh right now is the defense sucks. If the defense was better they're competing with the CAA and top Ivies. I think that's always been the reasonable expectation; not national title or bust. The PL rules stink but Colgate proved this year it's still possible like it has been for the last 20 years. If these academic powers figured out how to succeed on a national level under the need base model, they should be able to figure this out too. There has to be some grey areas the truly ambitious programs in the league can take advantage of. For instance I'd red shirt freshman for high ankle sprains and pulled hamstrings. They just never heal... :)

The one thing that will continue to really bug me is the ability to host playoff games. The administration owes it to their student athletes to reward them with staying in Bethlehem when they win 9 or 10 games. If you don't need lights then put in the coin for a home game! The 2016 team had no business being sent on a god-awful 8 hour bus ride to Durham.
+1
Playing games with med redshirts while not rife in PL has been going on for a while.
I note lights may no longer be an issue with ESPN. We'll see how future schefs work out. In any event temp lights for 1 game is doable, if LU is willing to spend 40,000 or so.
A lot of this discussion hinges on the capability of our new HC.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:05 am

TMH wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 pm You can tell it's pouring outside. I have too much free time on my hands.

One more NDSU advantage. They are allowed to field a team with ~15 admitted and convicted misdemeanents. Lehigh can't use a guy who retweets an offensive remark.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:05 am

One more NDSU advantage. They are allowed to field a team with ~15 admitted and convicted misdemeanents. Lehigh can't use a guy who retweets an offensive remark.
Huh?

Where did you get the NDSU stat? I promise you every team in the PL has athletes with underages, disorderlies, small possession, too many traffic tickets, etc. Don't sweat the small stuff. Youngstown State allowed a convicted rapist on their team. I'm not questioning NDSU football's moral stance until there's a reason to do so.

Lehigh has given its fair share of second chances to players over the years. One of the main reasons a certain highly rated local QB ended up at Lehigh was his incident while in high school. Which wasn't much of anything. Didn't Colgate let Jordan Scott return after he was convicted of robbery?

Spadola was suspended by the NCAA not Lehigh. I'm pretty sure Sterrett did what he could to have the NCAA's decision overturned.

Lehigh needs a coach so we can start to talk about spring practice....
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:30 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... d/1608409/

Right there. Ten then current players. Five others (I seem to remember at least 2-3 had been players.

Yes Spadola was suspended by the same Montana AD who did not suspend the NDSU guys, the same Montana AD who so admired Baylor.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Scuttlebut heard today at the basketball game: tomorrow is the day. Don't kill me if I'm wrong 'cause this came from a third hand source. And supposedly a name we will know.