Tom Gilmore.

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUHawker

Re: Tom Gilmore.

Post by LUHawker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:01 am

van wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 am so no one here is enthused about this hire, myself included, but I have a lot of confidence in Joe S

The highlighted quote about lots of confidence in Joe S. has been repeated or commented on frequently, especially around this process, but it feels to me like we're trying to get ourselves to believe this. Were we all feeling that way over the last couple of years? Does this hire instill confidence?

Maybe Joe picked up a diamond that had been cast aside, but the optics of this hire are terrible. I agree with most other posters here regarding the underwhelming performance of TG as a HC. Sometimes you need to go outside the "family" to bring some new energy and perspective and this was an insular pick.

Obviously, we'll have to wait to see what happens, but this hire and now the entire program is a "show me" story.

RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:06 am

Just read LU r.elease. Pure PR? Joe noted a number of capable coaches but TG picked as also capable but providesva smoother transition. Go read it in full. Think tenor a bit offputting at least for me. Well I will watch at 2.
Marco

Post by Marco » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:15 am

If it's Tom Gilmore or if it's Happy Gilmore, I maintain that the biggest failing of this team since the late stages of the 2013 season has been its indifference to defense. The 2016, 2017 teams were offensive juggernauts held back by a deplorable defense. So what good is an offense that can score 35+ points per game if the "D" gives up appalling numbers?

We are not, repeat, NOT going to contend for "national honors" as long as we are limited by the AI, the absence of red shirting, etc... but we cannot afford to become Lafayette, that is irrelevant within the Patriot League.

I have faith that we can score 28-35 points per game, but will lead a parade down Broad Street if the new hire brings a new toughness/attitude to the other side of the ball.

That's all we should be focusing on.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:16 am

I’m not ecstatic either. But upon further review…. Imagine you are an aspiring, up and coming FCS or FBS assistant looking for your first serious HC gig. Correct me if I’m wrong about any of this:

Absolutely no financial aid allowed to a legitimate recruit beyond the league mandated athletic scholarship equivalences. Roster capped at 90 some. No redshirting. You can only recruit in the top 10% academically. Most of your four non-league games are against the Ivies who effectively only have the academic restriction…..and the CAA and other FCS conferences who usually only have the NCAA rules as restrictions. What are your chances of excelling? And you have to move your family. And probably take a pay cut.

I’ve probably been delusional about the desirability of the Lehigh job to my preferred type of candidate.

We have a daughter, son-in-law, and grand kids in Winston Salem for the last 17 years. It’s a great place to live. And they know the Wake Forest athletic department intimately. If coach Gilmore is secure in his position at Wake, obviously a great school, he’s probably making a big sacrifice coming back to Lehigh.

Again, I'm not doing cart wheels on this hire for all the reasons listed by previous posters. But all things considered, we’re probably lucky to get him. Best of luck to Coach Gilmore and his staff!

And hopefully the Patriot League someday gets serious about competitive FCS football in the 21st century.
Last edited by jimk72 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:19 am

Marco wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:15 am If it's Tom Gilmore or if it's Happy Gilmore, I maintain that the biggest failing of this team since the late stages of the 2013 season has been its indifference to defense. The 2016, 2017 teams were offensive juggernauts held back by a deplorable defense. So what good is an offense that can score 35+ points per game if the "D" gives up appalling numbers?

We are not, repeat, NOT going to contend for "national honors" as long as we are limited by the AI, the absence of red shirting, etc... but we cannot afford to become Lafayette, that is irrelevant within the Patriot League.

I have faith that we can score 28-35 points per game, but will lead a parade down Broad Street if the new hire brings a new toughness/attitude to the other side of the ball.

That's all we should be focusing on.
Well said.
LUHawker

Post by LUHawker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 am

RichH wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:06 am Just read LU r.elease. Pure PR? Joe noted a number of capable coaches but TG picked as also capable but providesva smoother transition. Go read it in full. Think tenor a bit offputting at least for me. Well I will watch at 2.
I read a lot, but not all of the press release. Holy crap, was it long. As a rule in PR/Communications, keeping it short and sweet is key. This release reads like a "Tom did this, and this, and this, and this..." to cover up for the fact that the outcomes of what he did were mediocre. When you have to put that much quantity to cover for quality, it's a telling sign. Lots of lipstick.

If we had any doubts about the insular nature of how Lehigh views the search and family element, one line says it all: "However, Tom Gilmore had direct and successful experience at Lehigh and in our league, and was the candidate we felt would be most able to make a smooth and rapid transition."

Last night, I was disappointed leading to distraught. Today, I'm distraught leading to aggravated and bordering on angry.
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:31 am

Wow what a ridiculous hire. Not much more to say.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:40 am

Mulling all of this over. Disappointed I guess. Not sure what to expect going forward.
Chuck gave me the best perspective for going forward.
Belicheck couldnt win with the Browns and then he went to the Patriots. :D
Marco

Post by Marco » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 am

So, many posters here are disappointed by this apparent hire. How many out there actually believe that a head coaching job in the PL is a "plum job"?

Considering the enormity of the disadvantages, and just recently, even versus the Ivy League, who really thinks this might be anything other than a stepping stone position?

Knowing this and knowing Lehigh's propensity to either look inside the program for its HC (from a current assistant) such as Whitehead, Higgins, Lembo, or to tend to reach out to those who were here previously, such as Coen, I think Joe Sterrett most likely values experience with Lehigh and within the Patriot League over practically anything else. Hence, this hire.

Nothing really wrong with this at all; as stated numerous times, the program can remain an upper level, top tier, even top 25 team with an efficient offense and a decent, dependable defense.

You may not want to hear this, but there is a real possibility that for some interested candidates, they are ultimately turned off by the overly stringent academics and the lack of flexibility toward roster building. As a result, we are fortunate to get a Tom Gilmore.

As long as he is not John Garrett.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 am

Sure hope you are right marco.

As already noted, TG successfully rebuilt a bad program. Chuck pointed out that he hired Bandy and Coach K during that period..
Reading comments from LU football alums from Tom's time at LU. Uniformly positive.