Tom Gilmore.

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Tom Gilmore.

Post by RichH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:25 pm

Per numerous reports tonite. Tom isnour new HC. Announcement tomorrow.
Have to relect on this. Postblater.

Shadow1

Re: Tom Gilmore.

Post by Shadow1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:50 pm

An excellent choice

Superb experience

Knows the league and Lehigh

He will jump start the program

Lehigh is lucky to get him.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Wow. Like everyone else I hope this is a great hire. But wow.........
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:58 pm

Obviously one of the early 'front runners' listed on the board, and rightfully so. I know there will be some doubters regarding the curious ending of his tenure at Holy Cross, but I would think Joe has done his due diligence in speaking with those who know Tom the best and familiar with what occurred. Think about it...Tom has coached with Kashurba, Bandy, Higgins, Clawson and Andy. He knows Lehigh and what is expected; he knows the PL , the Ivy and the Northeast. Hopefully, this will jumpstart the program, especially with regard to improving the D. Even if Brisson is staying, I'd like to see him bring in Stambaugh on the O for tutoring our QBs and creativeness. Phil played here when Tom was the DC and while not directly, coached, there would be strong familiarity. Looking forward to the presentment and press conference.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:23 pm

I have to stick by my guns and say that i think Gilmore is a below average coach. Anyone who's an AGS guy knows I've been steady on my stance.

I watched him for years at Holy Cross to have enough sample sizes. His defenses simply were average to below average while in Worcester. Stats and rankings support this. His teams were terrible in close games/late game situations. Several of those 6 and 7 win seasons could have been more successful had the Crusaders been better in the 4th quarter. He's an emotional guy which has worked against him the past. He also has a history of being really tough on assistants. His lone PL Title came by riding Randolp's coattails. IMO, Holy Cross seriously upgraded their program when they dumped Gilmore for Chesney. I was actually happy for Holy Cross when Pine fired him because it meant the Holy Cross program could improve which would be good the league. He and Tavani both needed to go.

Obviously, things will play themselves out! Hopefully he has learned to be a much better coach than the version that existed in Worcester.

Records that matter
Overall 72-81
Patriot League 41-40
VS Lafayette 8-6
vs Colgate 4-9 (1 win in Hamilton)
Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 pm

Yikes, that is incredibly unexciting. A .500 coach recently fired by a conference rival does not exactly bring enthusiasm to the fan base.

Surprised it took so long considering Gilmore's Wake Forest season ended on 12/22. Maybe Joe struck out on a few guys?
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:44 pm

Not the choice many looked forward to thats for sure :D :shock: . I have no doubt Joe did his due diligence with Clawson,Lembo,Higgins et al. If they had serious reservations Tom would not be Joe's pick. We can all speculate on whether Tom was the 1st choice or the 5th but it is irrelevant now. Tom is our coach. For now, I'm going with he is the right guy. Now to see how he fills out his staff and back to recruiting.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:58 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:23 pm
Records that matter
Overall 72-81
Patriot League 41-40
VS Lafayette 8-6
vs Colgate 4-9 (1 win in Hamilton)
Add 1 career FCS playoff appearance with ZERO wins in 13 years at HC. From some comments in previous threads, maybe this is the best we can expect to find in our current situation....but I am uninspired, if this is indeed our selection from an exhaustive search.
Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:17 pm

Shadow1 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:50 pm An excellent choice

Superb experience

Knows the league and Lehigh

He will jump start the program

Lehigh is lucky to get him.
Thanks Mrs. Gilmore for your unbiased assessment.

This is an absolute yawn of a hire and rather damning reflection of the state of the football program. He ihas been by every objective measure a very mediocre coach in a rather mediocre league.
Last edited by Hawkineer on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUHawker

Post by LUHawker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Well, I could not be less excited. Lehigh needed new blood, a coach with a winning heritage and an ability to recruit in the scholarship era. I see none of that with Gilmore. I second Owl’s comments that his record is uninspiring and his tenure at Holy Cross was less than stellar.

Not a great choice to re-energize the fan base.