Tom Gilmore.

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: Tom Gilmore.

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Fans are fickle :D :D .
One thing for sure with TG. There will never be complacency. Folmar excellent at adapting. It was necessary. Brisson didnt show much aptitude at adapting.
True of more than one of our prior OCs, even good ones.
Brisson faced with an almost perfect storm of change and injuries.
Next steps are here. Important. Staff and recruiting.

TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:50 pm

Speaking of which, what are the odds that Kashurba becomes the defensive coordinator?
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:53 pm

:shock: Pretty good I'm thinking.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:35 pm

I watched the press conference and Gilmore said all the right things. I was disappointed no one asked him to explain what went wrong at Holy Cross that led to him being replaced mid season. Two great follow up questions would have been what did he learn from that experience and what will he do differently this time around. I would feel better about the hiring If I heard his answers to those questions.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:06 pm

Those are questions raised and answered in the Job interview, not in a public forum. Possible legal implications if discussed, as it was a personnel issue and may have been subject of separation papers. Plus, it does nothing but churn some water for the purpose of prurient interest and making a headline. Sure, the curiosity is there, but pursuing it in a public forum serves no legitimate purpose, but creates only negativity. There is no question that would have been discussed not only between Joe and Tom, but likely with others who would have been privy to the facts and not speculation.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:13 pm

ngineer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:06 pm Those are questions raised and answered in the Job interview, not in a public forum. Possible legal implications if discussed, as it was a personnel issue and may have been subject of separation papers. Plus, it does nothing but churn some water for the purpose of prurient interest and making a headline. Sure, the curiosity is there, but pursuing it in a public forum serves no legitimate purpose, but creates only negativity. There is no question that would have been discussed not only between Joe and Tom, but likely with others who would have been privy to the facts and not speculation.
+1
Rebeating dead horses based upon speculation should really stop. No purpose. TG is the coach. Now the questions are specific to our football team.
New Staff?
What O will we run?
Same question for D.
Pressing issue is finishing recruiting successfully.
Shadow1

Post by Shadow1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:27 pm

My read on the HC departure:

A while ago, HC put financial and other restrictions on their football program and that caused it to struggle despite having a good coach and great history. Add in the PL issues related to academics, amount of aid, etc of this era.

The Holy Cross AD, a shorter term opportunist, was ambitious and wanted to flex his muscles so he made an ill advised decision to change the HC to prove he was an agent of change. There was probably a personality conflict that informed his decision.

All of this would have been analyzed and figured out during the Lehigh search/interview process and there is no smoking gun.

The AD left after less than 5 years at the Cross for greener pastures.

As often said on this forum: Just my Opinion.
Sons of Vaval

Post by Sons of Vaval » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 pm

That's a very informed opinion, Shadow.

Nate Pine, despite hiring the right guy in the end, really botched the process.

It was time for a change to be made. In fact, TG probably should have been let go after an embarrassing loss to Fordham at Yankee Stadium. But, then to fire him mid-season the following year -- this after a 28-21 loss to UConn and a blow-out win against a highly-ranked New Hampshire team was wrong. TG ran a clean program since the day he took over and didn't deserve that from an AD that was simply looking to make a statement.

I would argue that TG overachieved during much of his tenure at HC. For whatever reason, the Pujals years were pretty bad. Oddly enough, I actually thought his non-scholarship teams were better. I'm interested to see how he recruits at Lehigh.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Not looking forward to Bball up at your place. Ugh.

Recruiting my main interest. I want to see how he does. He will have a bit more leeway with Admissions. Tom's early years vs later. Which give a better picture. My guess is a bit of both. Looking at his staffs. The early years he had guys like Bandy and Kotulski. A better staff? Pujols years are hard to fathom.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:52 pm

RichH wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:39 pm Presser was better than I anticipated in some ways.
TG very clear on his expectations. PL titles and playoff Ws not just appearances. He wants the same level as he expeienced in his 1st 2 yrs at LU. Undefeated seasons and playoff Ws. Highlighted routing W,Illinois.
I didn't see it all, but was impressed. More energy than I thought.

Let's give him a chance.

An easy choice; someone Joe can trust who can hopefully focus on building a sustainable Defensive legacy this time around. The O will come.

Some people can learn from their past ...