Tom Gilmore.

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
ngineer

Re: Tom Gilmore.

Post by ngineer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 pm

Would be nice to renew some games with Delaware and Rutgers. Don't have to do every year, but at least every 2-3 years. Start adding Temple every now and then, too.

TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Personally, I think we need to get our program in a position to be able to offer these teams some competition before we commit them to our schedule. No fan should like losing 50-3, no matter the opponent.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:07 pm

TMH wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 pm Personally, I think we need to get our program in a position to be able to offer these teams some competition before we commit them to our schedule. No fan should like losing 50-3, no matter the opponent.
Delaware is still trying to find their way under Rocco. They were about as uninspiring a 7-4 playoff team as you'll ever find this past season. Rutgers is absolutely horrid. I think Colgate would have beaten them by 2 TDs this year.

Even if Gilmore gets the team/program headed in the right direction in 2019 Lehigh's likely going to get run out of California but what will be a Top 5 Aggies team. Outside of that, there shouldn't be a game on Lehigh's schedule they can't win imo. I'm tired of losing to Villanova and not saying that just because I'm a Temple alum. Andy Talley is long gone and the Wildcats simply aren't THAT good right now. Lehigh's had so many chances to beat them over the years. Perhaps Gilmore gets it done in his first year like Coen did in 2006.

Without redshirting and with the smaller roster sizes Lehigh needs to schedule smart imo. That being said don't shy away from 2-3 quality FCS opponents per year. I'm not a big fan of FBS games unless Vegas thinks you can keep it within 2-3 TDs.

The 2019 schedule sets up well for Gilmore to have success. Colgate and UC Davis are the only games Lehigh enters the season as legit underdogs against. I know Lehigh is coming off a 3-8 record but given Andy's health concerns/issues I really put little stock into it.
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Not a bad hire imo

Marco summed it up nicely a few Posts ago..we needed a Defensive Coach to bolster up that side of the ball because we won't win giving up so many points. So here is Gilmore a winning coach who knows Defense

I think this is a good call by Sterret to get us back in contention for PL title and hopefully a FCS playoff spot..I can live with TGs blemished record and shortcomings. He's smart so he has probably learned a thing or two

Plus, he has an Ivy League background so he must be aware how the IL now get great student/athletes by changing things around in the admissions game and with financial aid superceding Scholarships. The Ivies draw from the same pool of applicants as the PL so this is crucial

Finally, taking a step down from FBS Wake Forrest to come and Coach at Lehigh says something. Not only does he get to run his own show again but there is opportunity for playoffs/championships . At WF they went to a Bowl Game,which is a big deal for them. TG should have no trouble coaching against an ND State one day...let's give him a chance

Meh..a lot of handwringing and worry that ends once the Ws start coming.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 pm

IPSY1975 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:30 pm Not a bad hire imo

Marco summed it up nicely a few Posts ago..we needed a Defensive Coach to bolster up that side of the ball because we won't win giving up so many points. So here is Gilmore a winning coach who knows Defense

I think this is a good call by Sterret to get us back in contention for PL title and hopefully a FCS playoff spot..I can live with TGs blemished record and shortcomings. He's smart so he has probably learned a thing or two

Plus, he has an Ivy League background so he must be aware how the IL now get great student/athletes by changing things around in the admissions game and with financial aid superceding Scholarships. The Ivies draw from the same pool of applicants as the PL so this is crucial

Finally, taking a step down from FBS Wake Forrest to come and Coach at Lehigh says something. Not only does he get to run his own show again but there is opportunity for playoffs/championships . At WF they went to a Bowl Game,which is a big deal for them. TG should have no trouble coaching against an ND State one day...let's give him a chance

Meh..a lot of handwringing and worry that ends once the Ws start coming.
At the is point everyone needs to be cautiously optimistic. If nothing else trust the programs track record over the last 40+ years.

Anyone who's watched Gilmore's teams over the years knows there could certainly be some issues with him. His resume does not scream defensive genius. The reality is his defenses at Holy Cross often struggled. The units the last few years under the Gilmore-Kashurba combo were terrible.

Wake Forest's defense this year was also terrible. So while the experience to be near Clawson and Higgins is nice I'm not sure what he proved down there from a production standpoint.

The expectations and goals need to remain the same. Hopefully Gilmore lives up to them. If not don't let him hang around for 14 years like HC did....
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:06 am

Plus to not keeping anyone around 14 seasons...I think 5 years ago we started trending down with Andy

Does anyone know details of TG contract?

1 year show me ? Or longer?
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:38 am

I am under the impression that all Lehigh coaching contracts are year to year but I may be mistaken.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:02 am

They are annual contracts. Usually run until June.
We shouldnt be surprised that there are open qustions.
We cannot ignore the history at Holy Cross. Other than the Pujols and Randolph years,Cross offense was mundane at best.The scheme relied heavily on a superstar QB to work. D was outmanned most every year.
Is that predictive? I dont believe so. Accounting to much weight to his time in Woostah, assumes that TG has learned nothing over his career. I cant accept that at least not yet.
I like owl's cautious optimism. :D Before we judge him, lets see what he does and accomplishes. The next few months will give us some current info to base opinions on.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Based on what I've heard, TG is a great, demanding coach who loves his players (in some respects like AC). But you've got to have quality top assistants. They're not easy to find, but when you find them you can win (then they leave). AC and TG have that in common.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:23 pm

IPSY1975 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:06 am Plus to not keeping anyone around 14 seasons...I think 5 years ago we started trending down with Andy

Does anyone know details of TG contract?

1 year show me ? Or longer?
The usual contract is year to year with review annually. However, when a new HC is hired, I think the past has shown that the new HC gets several years to start in order to get their program settled. IMO I would think Tom was given a 3-5 year contract. After initial period, then year to year renewal.