Assistant coaches ...

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
TMH

Re: Assistant coaches ...

Post by TMH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:14 pm

I am not a football guru by any stretch but it seems to me that the OC, whoever it may be will need to be far more creative this year than we were last year. We will need to find a way to get the most out of the tools we have. IMO, that will entail getting the TE more involved in the offense. It means getting the ball to Allen in space by throwing to him. It may mean moving the pocket more to get time to execute deeper plays. We may even want to consider using a FB more effectively.
The biggest weapon we may have next year is the element of surprise.

RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Well, first we have to recruit a FB. :D
Spread and pistol Os have their uses 2 back set or an H back set is a great change up. Folmar went 1 back spread and Brisson followed suit. Even in our various versions of AirLehigh we had multiple sets. 2 back, double TE, wildcat. Players mastered them then, they can now.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:03 pm Not to disparage anyone but what does a tight ends coach actually do at Lehigh? It is sorta like being the guy who is responsible for checking the rain gauge in the Sahara Desert. The tool is there but we rarely use it.
I had similar thoughts.

Several other good ones on the fairly vanilla O. Could it be last year's O was even more vanilla due to the inexperienced O line, crushed by injuries and just trying to learn basic plays?

Any good offense needs a good OL.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 pm
TMH wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:03 pm Not to disparage anyone but what does a tight ends coach actually do at Lehigh? It is sorta like being the guy who is responsible for checking the rain gauge in the Sahara Desert. The tool is there but we rarely use it.
I had similar thoughts.

Several other good ones on the fairly vanilla O. Could it be last year's O was even more vanilla due to the inexperienced O line, crushed by injuries and just trying to learn basic plays?

Any good offense needs a good OL.
This was the #1 reason our O went in the crapper this year. Losing both very experience and good tackles caused a host of problems. Moving players around to see who could perform where, and those who did play weren't up to the demand. It is reflected in the struggles Brags had and the Mayes being 'antsy' and not playing with confidence. Of course, it also begs the question as to why the OC didn't change our approach by trying to get Brags and TEs involved in the passing game. I swear there must have been psychic aversion to the screen pass, which should have worked many times considering the pass rush. Success begins in the trenches--both sides of the ball. Must be a big focus. If the QB has time, he need not be Lum or a Borda. A good QB at this level can be efficient without having magical skills.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Sutyak officially gone? OL coach too?
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Yup. Per scoop both Sutyak and Bandy are out.
Bandy showed very little last yr in admittedly a tough spot. OL basically sank our O. For whatever reason, we were hardly in sync forvthecseason.
Feel for Coach Sutyak. Great guy and recruiter. Perhaps just not ready for DC slot. Wish him the best moving on.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm

Not surprised, but do feel Bandy dealt a bad hand. Comes in last summer and we lose the major anchors of the OL. He had been at HC before Harvard, no? If so, Tom certainly familiar with him. Must have someone lined up. As for Sutyak, I agree. Great guy, but I think wasn't up to DC. Wish them both well. It's a hell of a life being an assistant college football coach.
Lehigh4Life

Post by Lehigh4Life » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:40 am

let the Ivy's go play a tough schedule. They are playing with different rules. If we are going to take a butt whooping, I'd rather take it from an FBS school (get paid) or a high level FCS team that will give us experience against teams we might face in playoffs.

I have some contacts in the recruiting area, and the DiMichele hire is a phenomenal hire. Dude works his tail off on recruiting trail.

Questions on analyst: All of the P5 schools have analysts on staff, that are not allowed to coach on field. They study film, scout in advance, provide reports, even self-scout for the coaching staff. it is a paid position, and likely a higher paying job than position coaches in the Patriot League.

While I wasn't a fan of the hire at first, remember that Clawson and Higgins likely were used as references for Joe, and Higgins doesn't mince words.. If he recommended Gilmore, he believes in him.

Only time will tell.
Lehigh4Life

Post by Lehigh4Life » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:41 am

Let me add that I don't expect to take butt whoopings. I expect us to compete with the FCS Scholarship schools when we get it going.

I was talking short term....
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 am

Well said L4L.

DiMichele is indeed a top recruiter. Perhaps more importantly a great closer.
Noonan likewise a go getter.
Right now not much info on the make up of this staff. Looks to be a good start tho.

Actually expect us to be better next year,if healthy. TG coming in to a team with a very solid core of talent. D needs better direction and focus and some big DTs :D .New voices should help with that.
we are not in a rebuild mode. Up to TG and staff to put it all together. A somewhat easier schedule next year. Back to back with UC Davis and Nova after open with SFU not a cake walk but we can be competitive. 4 OOC games before PL games. SHU is week before Pards. A must that we have a winning record in OOC games.