Offers. Round 2

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Sundayamqb

Re: Offers. Round 2

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:06 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:28 pm
As for high academic Div II schools, here is a list provided by the NCAA

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... excellence
Great find! I assumed some of these were DIII

RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Jalen Burbage. Ath. 6'0 170. 2* Bryan Station HS. Ken
Played QB thus year 1498 yds pass, 15 TDs, 1097 yds rush, 12 TDs.
Per his twitter he veballed Cincinnati on 12/18 and reclassified to '20.
Odd tho no followup. Nor does he list himself as a commit. 247 gives 100% prediction he goes to Cincy..
Only other offer is Fordham.
So not sure what year he is or why we offered. One heck of an athlete. One can hope.

BTW, his Dad played for the Cowboys back in the mid 80s.
Last edited by RichH on Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:50 pm

RichH wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:57 pm Jalen Bubage. Ath. 6'0 170. 2* Bryan Station HS. Ken
Played QB thus year 1498 yds pass, 15 TDs, 1097 yds rush, 12 TDs.
Per his twitter he veballed Cincinnati on 12/18 and reclassified to '20.
Odd tho no followup. Nor does he list himself as a commit. 247 gives 100% prediction he goes to Cincy..
Only other offer is Fordham.
So not sure what year he is or why we offered. One heck of an athlete. One can hope.

BTW, his Dad played for the Cowboys back in the mid 80s.
Was he offered a scholarship by Cincinnati? If so, this would be a good get imo. Especially if Fordham is going after him. I tend to think Lehigh and Fordham have the most athletically gifted rosters year in and year out. That doesn't always translate in success but it's a good starting point.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:52 pm

Yes for '20 it appears.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:06 pm

Last weekend turned out to be productive. I note that Sabvute is being followed by most of our outstanding offers not to mention by a lot of our commits. Hopefully this will lead toba few more commits.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:57 am

Brandon Spencer, Kim and Sickafoose had great visits. Fingers crossed and I'll probably light a candle at church. :D
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:56 am

Roster check. If everyone returns plus all our commits and verbals we stand at 77 players right now. :cry:
2nd round has picked up a bit. Still have a little over a week until NSD.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:35 pm

Nice to see Simeon actively recruiting Burbage for Lehigh. Another upside from last weekend. :D
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:37 pm

RichH wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:49 pm Bored so I did a tour to see how PL is doing in recruiting this year. 247 ranks Cross at 1 followed by Hoyas and Fordham. 247 is limited to their own data base but still a valid take on team success. Colgate has a big and very good class. Bucknell and Pards are yet incomplete but both have gotten a few good propects.
Lehigh has decent numbers with more than a few very good prospects but has a ways to go to get into the conversation with the top 4. At least on paper.
We do have a solid basis to build a winning program starting next season. It may be a while before we get back to the top of the PL if these rankings have any predictive validity.
In any event, it is clear that top 4 are having successful recruiting years. PL may no longer just be Lehigh and Colgate and the other 5 guys.
Hopeful that we hit some Homers in this recruiting round.
Meh. These are nothing more than educated guesses, and I underscore guess. Trying to compare apples, oranges and bananas. Great players can get buried on bad teams, average players on great dominant teams can be overrated. My father, who coached many years at a nearby high school, had a great athlete 40+ years ago. So good, that he played QB, MLB, KO, FG and P. Only time he was not on the field was punt return. Unfortunately, there were very few good athletes around him and his junior and senior year the team was 2-5-3 and 3-7. Very few schools showed interest, including the 'smaller' programs. But Syracuse offered him a scholarship and he went on to play for the Orange at several positions, including QB his senior year as the starter went down, leading Syracuse to a winning season and being named Chevrolet player of the game on a couple televised games. The data crunchers focus mostly on numbers. They usually do not have the access to information that recruiters get from coaches. The media has a created a cottage industry of all of these rating services which gives them fodder to talk about something. Something needs to fill the time. So, while the ratings are 'interesting' I cannot get excited about them.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:53 pm

I do agree that most ratings on national services are rumor more than scouting. For me , a much better gauge is the number and type of offers a prospect holds. Better but far from perfect. Take Tommy Lewis on a bad team in a weak league. No matter how good he might turn out to be he will never be ranked.
That said using either method, Cross,Fordham and Gate have excellent classes. Hoyas have done remarkably well winning more H2Hs for top recruits than I can ever recall. Does not translate to a better class than FU or Gate.
We are still in with a number of highly sought recruits. Hope to win a few.