Offers. Round 2

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUFAN

Re: Offers. Round 2

Post by LUFAN » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 pm

jimk72 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:05 pm
LUFAN wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:37 am
TMH wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:33 pm I understand. I think my point though was that a freshman can start and have success.

I am by no means promoting one QB over another.There are 4 already on the roster and frankly, there is very little for the casual fan to evaluate them on. Spring football may shed some light on the situation.

What will be interesting to me though is that there will be a whole lot of players who will be evaluated with a fresh set of eyes this year. Beauty, as they say, is in the eyes of the beholder.
How many D1 freshman begin season as starter when they do not enroll early? Minuscule. This forum is painful for folks who actually know football.
Sorry for being a painful, casual fan. Is it ok for us to post on your forum?
Sorry, thought this was actually a football forum where I could come and get real information about Lehigh Football and follow the program.

LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:09 pm

TMH wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:47 pm First I'd like to apologize to LUFAN if I caused him any great pain :-). It was unintentional.
Remember however that I never did endorse any QB over another nor was I anticipating that a freshman will start the year. My only point is that a freshman can be a starting QB at Lehigh and play well if the opportunity arises. Stambaugh, Shafnisky and Mayes have shown that. I have no idea when a freshman receives a playbook. Are there regulations against summer classes prior to your freshman year and informal workouts with the team?
Just as a point of discussion, Summerville transferred to Vance HS just prior to his junior year. This is what they said of his transition
"When he started at Vance a year ago, Summerville had never started a varsity game. Playing in a complex passing offense, he started slowly but finished with a flourish. Vance reached the N.C. 4A Western Regional championship game and Summerville finished with 2,981 yards passing and 30 touchdowns.

That tied for the second-most touchdown passes in school history and was among the top 25 performances in Mecklenburg County history."

Perhaps he is a good student of the game. Only time will tell.

On a somewhat related note...Justin Gurth was named the Outstanding Offensive Lineman at the football banquet this year.
No pain...as mentioned, just thought this was more of a "football" forum. Stats mean nothing in HS football...or college for that matter. Every system is different. I'd only say dig into the facts before projecting starters. I think it is a slap to the junior who has spent 3 years learning Lehigh's playbook. Check out 247 sports, it may add more insight to the players you are "projecting".
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:54 am

LUFAN wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 pm
LUFAN wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:37 am

How many D1 freshman begin season as starter when they do not enroll early? Minuscule. This forum is painful for folks who actually know football.
Sorry, thought this was actually a football forum where I could come and get real information about Lehigh Football and follow the program.
Apparently you haven't read anything Rich has written. His info is a real as it gets. Have a nice season.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:30 pm

jimk72 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:54 am
LUFAN wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 pm
Apparently you haven't read anything Rich has written. His info is a real as it gets. Have a nice season.
Ah well, I 've been under the weather the last week. See everybody still playing sorta nice. :D
LUFAN. Still pissing ppl off. :D :D
No problem with posting "real" football info. Dont assume that that bit of info has any relevance to Lehigh.
The majority of ppl here are fans not experts. There are also football alums, Parents and coaches who pop in regularly. This board is also read by the players and a number of current coaches.
Frosh QB starting? It happens. Dont see it happening next season here tho. LUFAN has a good point that HS are not helpful as they arent comparable . Both Monaco and Shoup had excellent HS careers in Fl and Ga. That neither beat out Mayes does not mean that either are just not good enough. For all his faults, he was one of the best LU has ever had at QB.
Mr. Summerville likewise had an excellent HS career in N Car.
Right now I would go with the senior. His job to lose. Spring will be interesting for a lot of reasons.
I expect OC Brisson will put in a lot more of his O. Veterans / Starters at every spot . Hopefully all healthy.
Over on the other side, D will be "in flux". :shock:
Term does give you a good sense of what to expect while providing zero clarity about the situation. :D
Sorry just couldnt resist. We know the players we expect to return. Not much else. Another new system?? DL? Back 7 has a lot of good returning, if we get all our rehab guys back this season.
STs? Will we have a coach? Mish. Great 4 years. Hope we find a real good P .
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:26 am

FCS Football says we have 17 starters returning-most in league...Spring game 13 April. I do believe HS kids get access to directed workouts and playbook digitally and get a good rundown during summer phase.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... 9393602604
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:31 pm

LUopa wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:26 am FCS Football says we have 17 starters returning-most in league...Spring game 13 April. I do believe HS kids get access to directed workouts and playbook digitally and get a good rundown during summer phase.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... 9393602604
Conditioning workouts and ltd skill sessions by position group . Not unusual for players on campus for the summer to invite kids up for some work. Duffy and Short brought in all the frosh OL to familiarize them with schemes.
Technically FCS is correct if you include replacements for injured starters. Guess we may have 4 returning starters at the 2 LB spots. :D