Ayir Asante to Holy Cross

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: Ayir Asante to Holy Cross

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:10 pm

RichH wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm Short staff on the road . other than Ford not much to report.
Question : I wonder what D scheme we'll have or what O scheme really.
Realistically, could an argument be made that Gilmore is inheriting a roster that's more athletically gifted than anything he had at Holy Cross? The 2008 and 2009 Crusader teams had some great individual players on the 2-deep but 20-60+ it was not a talented team. Despite being about 10 players short on talent on defense the rest of Lehigh's roster seems strong.

RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:41 pm

It is owl. Healthy we will be good. Despite a real issue at DT. , D has depth everywhere in the back 7. 2ndary has excellent atletes not all of whom are good football players. Coaching. New voices may help there.
Asante flipping sucks but WR not a need group.
Always edgy during recruiting but I am more so going into this round. We need a big class. Probably a bigger one than we have funds for.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:56 pm

TMH wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:55 pm I know the cream is typically picked off in the early signing period in other sports but could football be a bit different? Should we be looking for those who were expecting an FBS offer that didn't come through?
I suspect -- no, I know -- there are a bunch of guys who go overlooked by DI schools out there.

I know some from past years. Great kids playing at DII because things didn't work out with timing, $, visits, offers, etc. I know of a freshman starter who signed late at G-town. Some of these guys lives in under-recruited areas.

I keep thinking of Khalil Mack, who went to Buffalo. He was overlooked by LOTS OF TEAMS! Now he's the best defensive player in the NFL.
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 am

It seems quiet on recruiting front...its not...state of Ga being worked hard this week. Next weekend will have plenty of OVs on campus- there will be DL in that group for those concerned. This is a recruiting model used by Ivies- get them on campus for weekend and close them on site with Mom and Dad there. On side note- I see we dropped Penn and Princeton for couple of Northeast teams in 19'. Haven't followed program long enough to understand what this means.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Not having Penn or Princeton is reportedly a one year thing of no Ivies. Wagner owed us a game from our trip there two years ago and SFU preferred coming to Goodman two years in a row rather then hosting us. I think Monmouth owed us a game here after our last trip there two years ago. With 'nova and Cal-Davis I surmise the schedule didn't work. The UCD game is a once a decade type trip we take. Haven't been to CA since St. Mary's game in late '90's, and due to Lehigh's growing footprint in the northern CA area, due to the NASDAQ relationship, that is the only reason this game makes sense. It's good for recruiting and alum relations, but it can create havoc with a schedule.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:57 pm

LUopa wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 am It seems quiet on recruiting front...its not...state of Ga being worked hard this week. Next weekend will have plenty of OVs on campus- there will be DL in that group for those concerned. This is a recruiting model used by Ivies- get them on campus for weekend and close them on site with Mom and Dad there. On side note- I see we dropped Penn and Princeton for couple of Northeast teams in 19'. Haven't followed program long enough to understand what this means.
Sched this year is finishing some NEC H and H contracts and UCD. Ivies back next year.
Assts are out on the road in their territories. There are OVs coming up on the next 2 weekends. Hope you're right about DL and hope he is a DT. :D
Regardless of our varied opinions of OC Brisson, he is a phenomenal closer.
Andy has been adding WOs regularly to help fill out roster over the last 2 years. While not "recruited" under NCAA rules, we have been pursuing them. We may need a lot of those this year.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Hope UCD is a night game. Could easily be over 100F there
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:58 pm Hope UCD is a night game. Could easily be over 100F there
UCD is in Northern California--about an 1 1/2 hours from San Fran. Near the mountains. Of course, if the forest fires are still rampaging, you may be right! :D
LehighGuy

Post by LehighGuy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:11 pm

If we could get transfers that’s big. But that likely won’t happen.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:38 pm

This is a new era with the NCAA tranfer portal. Historically we've gotten very few and even fewer JC kids. None have made much, if any , waves.
Who knows maybe we can. Fordham has a 6'3 295 DT coming from a football mill JC in Bklyn NY. He was a HS A-A in HS in NYC. From there to ASA JC. Think Last Chance U. And now he is going to Fordham.