Injuries

Can Lehigh get back to the NCAA postseason?
RichH

Injuries

Post by RichH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Petit out for the year. Spence out indefinitely. According to Inside Lacrosse a number of other players are out indefinitely.
Will this squad suffer the same fate of wrestling and football last year??
Lots of frosh will have to step up much sooner than any thought. Tough break for Cassesse and the players. :cry:

TMH

Re: Injuries

Post by TMH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:18 pm

It doesn't stop there. Softball has had some scares during the off-season. Hopefully, they will be ready by the time the season starts next week.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:26 pm

I wonder whether all these injuries are unfortunate happenstance? Are they a connected to our S & C programs?
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:19 pm

In the case of softball, there was one injury (happenstance) and 2 serious illnesses.

I talked to several coaches in different sports and they are pretty consistent in their belief that it is a lack of down time. Almost every sport seems to be a 12 month venture. When they aren't playing/practicing, they are lifting or some other physical activity. Sometimes the body just needs to rest and heal.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:32 pm

I was reading an article last summer which posited exactly the same idea. Makes sense.
When I was playing there was no formal workout regimen until preseason camp. A lot fewer injuries albeit medical tech not close to what is common now.
I know with football, a number of players get personalbtrainers for summer workouts. S & C also gives all players personalized workout regimens. They may improve performance but as you noted the body gets no time to heal.
Lax guys really giving their all. Hell of a game
grad81

Post by grad81 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Pettit tore ACL in practice. Done for the year. Not sure what Spence's injury is but he was on the sideline in a warm up suit walking around at the UVA game. Game effort by the squad today but over 20 turnovers did them in especially in the second half. Had two freshman at attack and one on the starting midfield. If Pettit and Spence were in the line up, the number of turnovers are cut in half. Defense simply ran out of gas again because they essentially played the entire second half in their defensive zone. A real shame. Was not impressed with UVA in the least. With our full squad, I think we win this game easily.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:22 pm

Agreed but we are not going to have a full squad.for a while. Frosh are going to have to mature fast for us to get back to full. Somehow, we have to alleviate the pressure on D late in games. Tough schedule ahead.
Hope Pettit takes his 5th but rwal life may dictate other options.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:35 pm

TMH wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:19 pm I talked to several coaches in different sports and they are pretty consistent in their belief that it is a lack of down time. Almost every sport seems to be a 12 month venture. When they aren't playing/practicing, they are lifting or some other physical activity. Sometimes the body just needs to rest and heal.
This is true. Plus, many -- not all -- of these young folks have been one-sport athletes for most, if not all, their high school careers. Working the same muscles over and over again ...
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 pm

This may be the equivalent of whistling pas graveyards (couldn't think of something better) but is it possible that the mountain terrain of the Packer Campus adds a physical strain that contributes to injuries. I know of few campuses with this feature. I have heard Mansfield? Cornell kids walk to academic campus from below, but classrooms are kind of flat.

Of course one of our most senior wrestlers to miss first semester dropped a beer keg on his foot. That is the kind of of injury we would all be proud of
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Definitely an honorable injury. No more keg parties on campus. Still have a hard time getting my head around thar one. LU basically killed all on campus parties by banning alcohol almost totally. Students being innovative moved parties off campus.