Injuries

Can Lehigh get back to the NCAA postseason?
ngineer

Re: Injuries

Post by ngineer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 pm This may be the equivalent of whistling pas graveyards (couldn't think of something better) but is it possible that the mountain terrain of the Packer Campus adds a physical strain that contributes to injuries. I know of few campuses with this feature. I have heard Mansfield? Cornell kids walk to academic campus from below, but classrooms are kind of flat.

Of course one of our most senior wrestlers to miss first semester dropped a beer keg on his foot. That is the kind of of injury we would all be proud of
That's a good one! We always felt hiking that mountain a couple times a day was an advantage. "You can tell the seniors from the frosh by the size of the calf muscles."! No, I think the kids are over-using/abusing their bodies by not letting them rest/regroup when the season is over. It is one thinkg to "stay in decent shape" but another to be pushing in a competitive mode 12 months a year. Ya gotta step away every now and then.

TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:11 pm

ngineer wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm
Richb-3 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 pm This may be the equivalent of whistling pas graveyards (couldn't think of something better) but is it possible that the mountain terrain of the Packer Campus adds a physical strain that contributes to injuries. I know of few campuses with this feature. I have heard Mansfield? Cornell kids walk to academic campus from below, but classrooms are kind of flat.

Of course one of our most senior wrestlers to miss first semester dropped a beer keg on his foot. That is the kind of of injury we would all be proud of
That's a good one! We always felt hiking that mountain a couple times a day was an advantage. "You can tell the seniors from the frosh by the size of the calf muscles."! No, I think the kids are over-using/abusing their bodies by not letting them rest/regroup when the season is over. It is one thinkg to "stay in decent shape" but another to be pushing in a competitive mode 12 months a year. Ya gotta step away every now and then.
We need to realize that South Mountain has gotten much steeper since our undergraduate days. Something to do with volcanic activity I suspect. :-)
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:16 pm

TMH wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:11 pm
ngineer wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm

We need to realize that South Mountain has gotten much steeper since our undergraduate days. Something to do with volcanic activity I suspect. :-)
Oh so thats the reason. Gotcha. :D :D
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Quite possible.

I climbed Mt Whitney in 2006. The T-shirts you could buy(none in my size in shop) said 14,497 feet. Now the T-shirts say 14,503. Earthquake.

But I am quite serious in thinking that while the steepness of the campus creates conditioning advantages, it can aggravate injuries or slow healing. Of course sleeping in a zero gravity or even Martian level gravity bed would help in lots of injuries
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:10 pm Quite possible.

I climbed Mt Whitney in 2006. The T-shirts you could buy(none in my size in shop) said 14,497 feet. Now the T-shirts say 14,503. Earthquake.

But I am quite serious in thinking that while the steepness of the campus creates conditioning advantages, it can aggravate injuries or slow healing. Of course sleeping in a zero gravity or even Martian level gravity bed would help in lots of injuries
Now a Martian gravity bed, that I want to order right now. :D Those young'ins can wait their turn.
Your point is well taken about our Mountain.
I think it probably helps non athlete students. Athletes tho have enough stress on their bodies with the current emphasis on around the year training.
We need some Docs or pro trainers here for some expert opinions.