UVA 11. LU. 8

Can Lehigh get back to the NCAA postseason?
RichH

UVA 11. LU. 8

Post by RichH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:15 pm

One hell of an effort by a shorthanded squad. Gaffney was outstanding at FOGO. We took a 6-3 lead in the 1st. UVA tied us at 6-6. We battled but UVA had more gas left in the tank to close out the game.

grad81

Re: UVA 11. LU. 8

Post by grad81 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:35 am

The team battled the whole game given the tough circumstances. Losing your top two scorers would be hard for any team to overcome. Moving the game up a day I think disrupted their preparation/routine, which given the long trip, contributed to the outcome. While the effort was there, at the end of the day, 22 turnovers did them in. Way too many empty possessions. At times it looked like they had trouble throwing and catching. I believe they were only 11 of 18 on clears. They also benefited from 7 UVA penalties, scoring three man up goals but they had trouble at even strength, especially in the second half. UVA struggled against the zone in the first half but had the ball for most of the third and fourth quarters and ultimately just wore down the defense. Hopefully the older Spence will be able to go once the Patriot League schedule begins. If he can't, the offensive struggles will continue unfortunately.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Perhaps an explanation of other players out indefinitely. Just readvthat 7 lax players are academically ineligible.
Can anyone verify??
grad81

Post by grad81 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:14 pm

The only player of the seven that I heard was academically ineligible is Sisselberger, the freshman FOGO. Not sure if it is for the entire season. Spence and McHugh were injured in the Hofstra game. Regarding the remaining four, I would assume that it is academic issues since none of them I believe have seen any playing time unless they were hurt in practice. I have heard secondhand that Coach Cassese is "optimistic" that the injured players (excluding Pettit) will be back by the time Patriot League play begins in early March. Fingers crossed. A real shame that we will not be able to see what the full squad would have been capable of. Unfortunately as well, Loyola has been dominate in the early going and once again look like they are going to run away with the PL title.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks 81.
Upside may be the added PT for our frosh and soph players. May not benefit OOC record but it could be a big help come PL schedule.
grad81

Post by grad81 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 am

Hope you are correct. The underclassmen are going to grow up in a hurry!