Navy

Can Lehigh get back to the NCAA postseason?
RichH

Navy

Post by RichH » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:50 pm

LU 15- Navy 8
1st half a battle. Spence kept us in the game in goal. We took the game over in the 2nd. So many highlights. For me, Gaf getting his 1st goal unassisted was the topper.

grad81

Re: Navy

Post by grad81 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:47 pm

Lehigh sleep walked through the first half but caught fire in the second. Impressive offensive effort. Lucas Spence is an absolute warrior and James Spence has been tremendous in goal during this winning streak. The defense played so well that the absence of LSM Teddy Leggett due to a concussion was not felt. The freshmen D really stepped up as did sophomore #66 Douglas with eight ground balls. Hopefully Leggett will be back for the BU game. This team just continues to overcome one injury after another!
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:03 pm

Douglas is maturing. Phenomenal upside.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:59 pm

grad81 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:47 pm Lehigh sleep walked through the first half but caught fire in the second. Impressive offensive effort. Lucas Spence is an absolute warrior and James Spence has been tremendous in goal during this winning streak. The defense played so well that the absence of LSM Teddy Leggett due to a concussion was not felt. The freshmen D really stepped up as did sophomore #66 Douglas with eight ground balls. Hopefully Leggett will be back for the BU game. This team just continues to overcome one injury after another!
Similar to what the wrestling team experienced this winter. Goes to show what quality recruiting can do so there is adequate depth for quality backups, together with good coaching in developing the talent. Too early to be crowing, but this could be a real special year if they continue to playe with the necessary intensity.
grad81

Post by grad81 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Yes, there are certainly a lot of similarities between the wrestling and lacrosse teams. Both entered their respective seasons with high expectations and national rankings. Injuries resulted in tough starts for both programs and forced freshmen and sophomores into action before expected. Losing players of the caliber of Pettit and Bouhall for the season would devastate most teams but the talent behind them has really stepped up. Not looking past BU, but we will definitely see just how far this team has come against Loyola. Spencer is the best player in the PL and arguably in the country. If the coaches can figure out a way to minimize the damage he causes, we can beat them. It would be nice to get a win against those guys.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Hope you're right grad. I've watched Loyola.. They are not a one trick pony. Just real good. I think we may have an edge in depth even with the injuries.
grad81

Post by grad81 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:39 pm

I think we are better than Loyola defensively despite the loss of Bouhall and Spence’s play in goal has been as good or better than Stover’s. On paper, we should have a decided advantage at x and despite the loss of Pettit, this year’s offense moves the ball better than any Lehigh team since the 2012 and 2013 PL championship teams. Even with Bouhall in the line up, Lehigh predominately plays a zone defense which they do very well. Unfortunately, it gives really good players like Spencer too much time to sit back and read the field and he has shown he can pick a zone apart. I think they need to deny him the ball and force Loyola to play a 5 on 5 game. That was somewhat successful in the first half of the PL finals last year but the team ran out of gas in the second half. I’m sure the coaches will come up with a good game plan. In the interim, take care of business against BU!