PL preseason poll

Can Lehigh get back to the NCAA postseason?
RichH

PL preseason poll

Post by RichH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:45 pm

Lehigh picked 3rd behind LOM and Army. 5 All PL picks
Pettit at Attack
Eichelberger at Middie
Leggett at D
Gaffney at FO
McHugh at ShortStick Middie

van

Re: PL preseason poll

Post by van » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:38 pm

looking for Hicks to break out and Kirst on attack also, any FR standouts ready to surprise?
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:19 pm

There was a lot of hoopla about the quality of last year's freshman class and with the addition of a de-commit from Duke, Cornell and Army, this may be an even better class.

IMO. Christian Mule, the decommit from Duke may have the biggest impact from this freshman class Sidorski and Tiernan also had big time scoring reputations in HS. A lot of those sophs are ready to step up this year. Matt Marker from Allentown Central Catholic had a big fall campaign.

We have the potential to surprise teams this year. I don't know whether that includes #1 Penn State nor #2 Virginia.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Atrack is well set up if not as experienced. We will score. Gaffney gives us a solid edge. My concern is our LSM and depth on D. Frosh group a pleasant surprise. Outstanding. Back to back classes is a recruiting coup for Cassesse. We are deep and much more athletic than I can recall. How many can step up consistently will be the tale for us.
And we start the week back with a yoga session :D
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:00 pm

I'm not too concerned about our LSM. In most games (I believe) Chick split his time between LSM and D. Leggett filled in very well during the changeover as LSM. Interestingly, Teddy only started one game last year but is a pre-season all league selection. He was 2nd to only Gaffney in GBs.

If that isn't the plan, Hicks is a natural LSM and is very fast and athletic. With the absence of Brouhall for much of last season, Hagenberger got a few starts and a bunch of minutes. I also think Douglas is ready to take on a bigger role. Our D should be OK but as you say, quality depth may or may not be an issue there.

I can't believe the season is less than 3 weeks away.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:02 pm

IL picked Gaffney as a preseason All American.
van

Post by van » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:42 pm

RichH wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:02 pm IL picked Gaffney as a preseason All American.
I should hope so, his stats last year were beyond impressive
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:13 pm

van wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:42 pm
RichH wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:02 pm IL picked Gaffney as a preseason All American.
I should hope so, his stats last year were beyond impressive
You would think so although out of the top 12 based on FO % won last year, 11 return.

Gaffney at .697 was #4 and I think he deserved 3rd team. TD Ierlan, Yale (.758) and Alex Woodall, Towson (.742) were at another level, esp Ierlan. I'm still not sure how #15 Arceri got 3rd team unless he faced much stiffer competition.
Gaffney faces only 4 of the top 25 from last year this season
#6 O'Connell from Holy Cross, #15 Arceri Penn St., #18 LaSalla Virginia and #24 Christman, Boston U

He may have to other wordly in those games to break into the top 3. Remember the all time NCAA leader in CT, Craig Chick only got 3rd Team