Bucknell

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
TMH

Re: Bucknell

Post by TMH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Sorry Rich,
After re-reading my post it came off a bit strong. I think my point is that our offense is just fine IMHO. We are very good at shooting the 3 but frankly we don't do it very much. Reed seems to really stress getting the ball inside.
I'm not sure if it is an effort problem or a schematic issue. We just don't seem to play tight on the perimeter. Part of it may be that we play a lot of help defense and the opponents then find the open man. Way to many times I see one of our defenders running toward the shooter with a hand in the air instead of being on him from the start.
Brett once told me that we have had a lot of recent success in February because the players were playing with more a sense of urgency. If they find that urgency soon, we may be a very tough opponent in the playoffs. (fingers crossed)

RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:36 pm

TMH wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:27 pm Sorry Rich,
After re-reading my post it came off a bit strong. I think my point is that our offense is just fine IMHO. We are very good at shooting the 3 but frankly we don't do it very much. Reed seems to really stress getting the ball inside.
I'm not sure if it is an effort problem or a schematic issue. We just don't seem to play tight on the perimeter. Part of it may be that we play a lot of help defense and the opponents then find the open man. Way to many times I see one of our defenders running toward the shooter with a hand in the air instead of being on him from the start.
Brett once told me that we have had a lot of recent success in February because the players were playing with more a sense of urgency. If they find that urgency soon, we may be a very tough opponent in the playoffs. (fingers crossed)
Hope so. And no you didnt. So there. :D :D
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:41 pm

ngineer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm We knew from the beginning this year that we were going to live and die on the trey. 5/20 at Bucky is all you need to see. We shoot our season average, we win.
FWIW Lehigh has shot 44.4% on threes in the two games vs Bucknell - slightly better than its season average.
van

Post by van » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:52 pm

Bison_137 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:41 pm
ngineer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm We knew from the beginning this year that we were going to live and die on the trey. 5/20 at Bucky is all you need to see. We shoot our season average, we win.
FWIW Lehigh has shot 44.4% on threes in the two games vs Bucknell - slightly better than its season average.
yes and played some ole' defense
phillychuck

Post by phillychuck » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:08 pm

I think the defensive issue is more subtle than just effort or even ability. The team plays very hard on defense, we just have a defense that doesn't accomplish much. They don't get deflections, they don't get steals, they get few blocks (outside of vs BU), they don't force violations, they don't force tough shots. I think there is a scheme/coaching element to what they are and are not accomplishing. I rarely see them try to trap and rotate on pick and rolls, they are deep enough to press but they don't ever press hard unless they're down, they don't play enough zone to be effective at it, but they DO work hard at getting the help rotations right. The problem is, getting the rotations right doesn't stop a team from getting a good look or two in a full 30 second clock, and there are enough athletic shooters in the PL that even if they don't get a good look one of the top shooters can get off a challenged shot that still has a decent chance of going in.

I think they need to take more chances on defense, and they need to change up the scheme throughout the game to confuse teams and force mistakes. I think Brett and the staff are locked into playing solid positional defense and not missing rotations. That works if you're way more athletic than your opposition, but we're just not at that level.

Look at how much trouble we had with 4 guards in the game vs. BU's press today. If we can't break it, we need to learn to run it and use it on other teams.

JMHO.
van

Post by van » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:36 pm

agree that we have the depth to press more often and that would add an additional challenge for opponents