Bucknell

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
jimk72

Re: Bucknell

Post by jimk72 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:40 am

Interesting that the opinion dam finally burst after this game on Brett's coaching ability. It's probably been on our collective minds for a while. Great recruiter, wonderful person, not so great fundamentals/game coach. Turnovers with defensive & rebounding inconsistency. The Holy Cross title game still drives me wild.

To be fair we all gave him credit for the coaching job he did with the injuries and the Alston transfer last year. And I think that was justified.

ArtVandelay

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:27 am

As others have said, I cannot figure this team out. When the are good they are good and when they are bad there is no one who steps up to get them on track.

Bad defense is the biggest problem, I don't know the stats, but my guess is they are averaging giving up about 75 points a game. In their 4 PL losses they have given up 91, 85, 84, 87. None of those games went to overtime, that is a lot of points in college basketball.

I am not ready to blame it all on Dr. yet, he has always sounded like a pre recorded message and I think is just a weird guy. This is basketball, not football, in game coaching doesn't matter all that much if you have a talented bunch if people and you practice well. A team like Bucknell proved last night they have a lot of threats so going into zone vs man to man probably doesn't matter, Reed obviously favors man to man which is fine, you just need to play good defense, which this team can't seem to do on a regular basis. You need to play a full 40 minutes and can't give up 85 points if you expect to win against Bucknell. A 5-8 minutes lapse last night cost them the game.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:34 am

Doc has his strengths. Certain situations , like Alston and working around injuries over the years. He has recruited very well both for talent and character.
He has a tendency to lecture in a dry rather pedantic manner. Kind of annoying for me but he is honest about games and zeroes in on what we did well and didnt do well. He sees the same lapses we do. The loss of focus on D in the 2nd half for extended minutes. Our Gs inability to beat Bucky's perimeter D. This is in game coaching which Doc has never mastered.
Bball to a large extent us matchups. Buckys have a decided edge there. We dont seem capable of scheming to limit that edge.
Last edited by RichH on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
van

Post by van » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:51 am

actually I think the lapse started in the last 37 seconds of the first half, watch that and you will see what I mean
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 am

Didnt see much of the last part of 1st and 1st 5-6 minutes of the 2nd half. 52 pts in the 2nd half!! We do miss Marques off the bench. He brought energy to D and O. One final point LT is a scorer. He can carry a game all by himself at times. When he doesnt score he becomes a liability as Dvis not in his tool box.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm

We knew from the beginning this year that we were going to live and die on the trey. 5/20 at Bucky is all you need to see. We shoot our season average, we win. Karnik and Lynch are projects, and maybe by next year they assert themselves, though Karnik is showing signs that he could become a force. Lehigh basketball in the past 12 years has probably had the winningest stretch in history. Bball was always an afterthought here behind wrestling and football. It is the crown jewel in Lewisburg. We've had some success in recent years and now we want more, which is good. But as long as we're "in the hunt", and the program is run correctly, administration will be satisfied. This is the Patriot League.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:16 pm

ngineer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm We knew from the beginning this year that we were going to live and die on the trey. 5/20 at Bucky is all you need to see. We shoot our season average, we win. Karnik and Lynch are projects, and maybe by next year they assert themselves, though Karnik is showing signs that he could become a force. Lehigh basketball in the past 12 years has probably had the winningest stretch in history. Bball was always an afterthought here behind wrestling and football. It is the crown jewel in Lewisburg. We've had some success in recent years and now we want more, which is good. But as long as we're "in the hunt", and the program is run correctly, administration will be satisfied. This is the Patriot League.
All true . A fine achievement. Certainly compared to my time on South Mt. It would take 2-3 years back then to get about the same numbers of Ws that we get now in a year.
What bothers me about this team is its unwillingness to play D with any consistency. We rely on shooting 3s to cover that defect. Our O is inflexible. What is our goto when 3s dont fall?
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Wow...how fickle we have become as fans. It wasn't too long ago when posters were complaining why the #1 3 point shooting team in the country was way down the list in # of 3 point shots attempted. For the record, we are #215 in 3 pt shots attempted in the NCAA.
As for the question of what we do when the 3 pointers don't fall, didn't Karnik score 21 points in the Bucknell game?

I remember a few years ago when our football team was struggling. Posters wanted a change at QB and a new offensive coordinator when we were the worst defensive team in the league. The last time I looked , Lehigh is leading the PL in points scored...but we are last in points allowed. Therein lies the problem and don't believe that Brett doesn't know that.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Fickle??
No I dont think so. It is great to see all those O stats. And no I'm not being sarcastic. My issue is the D. That is the issue derailing this team. I realize that coaches must see that also. So far they havent gotten that to change. So we need to outscore good teams to win. Our goto is the 3. We miss and we lose. Karnik's 21 pts a good start for sure. I hesitate to credit that overmuch as we lost the game.
van

Post by van » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:00 pm

problem with the D is pretty obvious to me, 2 of the three starters don't care to play D at the same level that they like to shoot