Game 29/18 - LOM

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
Bison_137

Re: Game 29/18 - LOM

Post by Bison_137 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:01 pm

CHIP72 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 am
Bison_137 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 am
CHIP72 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:30 pm

I wouldn't worry about the Loyola game; after Colgate and Bucknell won earlier in the day it became meaningless for Lehigh. The Mountain Hawks were probably already thinking ahead to their game with Army on Thursday.
Not meaningless if they cared about being PL co-champions. Except for seeding, they would own the championship as much as Colgate or Bucknell, which likely would mean something to the players and would give them a banner to put up.
To be frank, I don't think many people care about being co-regular season champions in a league if they don't win the tiebreaker, especially if they were winless against the other co-champions.

Did Bucknell cut down any nets after winning their game yesterday? Colgate did after beating Lafayette in Easton. I have a feeling Lehigh wouldn't have cut down any nets to celebrate their "co-championship" had they beaten Loyola.

Bucknell has never cut down the nets after a regular season title - and it has absolutely nothing to do with whether they are outright champs or co-champs. But they do put up the championship banner for a co-championship, and they are honored as champs in the PL Record Book. Hard to believe players wouldn't care about winning a championship if the team didn't happen to win a convoluted tiebreaker that ONLY applies to seeding.

As for Colgate, they cut down the nets only because they haven't been in that situation for 20 years. I doubt LU would have cut down the nets if they were champs or if they were co-champs.

Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Hawktalker wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:18 am I think it comes down to the injuries. Andree, Karnik, Bennett, and while not an injury, Marques Wilson being out has left this team with no depth.
I agree that Andree is probably a concussion. Karnik went out with an ankle according to radio guy. Hopefully they are back Thursday or at least for a semi final game, if we get past Army
+1

An annual problem.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:30 pm I follow Lehigh hoops just enough to know what's going on. With that said, what is going on tonight against a bad Loyola team with so much on the line? Down 15 in the second half? The team seems to lack intensity game in and game out.
Aside from the injury situation, there is nothing "on the line". Lehigh had nothing to gain and was automatic third seed. No excuse for playing lousy, but understandable if they are short handed and playing a game that is meaningless regarding tournament position.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:50 pm

A lot of things said on this thread and a lot to agree with. To me the overwhelming statistic is Loyola shot 75% (12-16) from three, and 53+% overall (32-60). That's Swiss cheese defense. And Saturday it really fell apart after the apparently demoralizing injury to James. Is it fair to say it's been a problem for this year and before?

Why are some teams noted for consistently good defense year in and year out? And others not? It probably bothers Brett a great deal....... because the answer is obviously coaching.
van

Post by van » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:04 pm

may also be the kind of players you recruit, we all (most all of us) focus on recruits offensive skills; guy is a dead eye shooter, can really slash to the hoop, finishes around the rim with authority, etc
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:53 am

Could it be that, with all the injuries and a 3 seed guaranteed, the staff thought it might be a good idea to come out with one final tinkered lineup against Loyola? In the PL it all comes down to the tournament and it may have been a shrewder play to just see one last defensive look to see how it works. It didn't, but it's not something that sinks the season.

In the playoffs everything is different, and I'm guessing we'll see a different Lehigh team out there vs. Army. Even if guys are 50%, 60%, there's no need to hold them back, all hands on deck. That seems like it should make a difference.
van

Post by van » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:16 am

really concerned about Karnik, need him 100%