Game 29/18 - LOM

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
Mhawk37

Re: Game 29/18 - LOM

Post by Mhawk37 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:44 pm

I don’t disagree. Trying to remain hopeful. This is just tremendously disappointing. Colgate and Bucknell are just in a different class...wonder why that is. Seems like it shouldn’t be that way.

Travis23

Post by Travis23 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:05 pm

What’s the story with pat? Any news on Karnik. Heard he got hurt tonight. Things not looking good. Could be another early exit. Don’t understand how Loyola takes it to us that bad.
Mhawk37

Post by Mhawk37 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:34 pm

Not sure on Karnik. I’m guessing with Andree it’s a concussion. “Undisclosed Injury” doesn’t sound great. Also, last we saw him he took a tough elbow to the head and was bloodied. I think schools generally try to keep those injuries quiet given the stigma.
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:30 pm

van wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:42 pm not likely to happen, we have already been swept by the 1 and 2 seeds and lost to HC and LOM down the stretch, seems like a death spiral to me
I wouldn't worry about the Loyola game; after Colgate and Bucknell won earlier in the day it became meaningless for Lehigh. The Mountain Hawks were probably already thinking ahead to their game with Army on Thursday.
Mhawk37

Post by Mhawk37 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:44 pm

So rather than tuning up for the playoffs they gave up 92 points to the worst team in the PL? I’d agree with you if this was a normal loss, getting our butts kicked like that to me is a huge problem. I think we’ve been playing with fire all year and relying on superior talent but bad basketball. I’m scared our luck has run out... this is what happens when coaches let bad habits fester... the toll eventually comes due for all teams. It’s playoff time. I truly hope my gut instinct is wrong. Unfortunately, I don’t think it is. Bucknell and Colgate outclass us. Holy Cross, Boston and Army could easily out coach us. Let’s roll the dice and hope for luck.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 am

CHIP72 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:30 pm
van wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:42 pm not likely to happen, we have already been swept by the 1 and 2 seeds and lost to HC and LOM down the stretch, seems like a death spiral to me
I wouldn't worry about the Loyola game; after Colgate and Bucknell won earlier in the day it became meaningless for Lehigh. The Mountain Hawks were probably already thinking ahead to their game with Army on Thursday.
Not meaningless if they cared about being PL co-champions. Except for seeding, they would own the championship as much as Colgate or Bucknell, which likely would mean something to the players and would give them a banner to put up.
Mhawk37

Post by Mhawk37 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:42 am

Agreed Bison. And to the extent anyone believes there was a let down because “the game didn’t mean anything” then I think there needs to be real questions answered about the mindset of this team. That’s the type of excuse for guys who are pros and make millions. Not for a group of kids who get 100 games to play over 4 years and then largely become working professionals. Bucknell and Colgate have lost some games they shouldn’t in this “balanced” patriot league. They haven’t gotten slaughtered by terrible teams.
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:18 am

I think it comes down to the injuries. Andree, Karnik, Bennett, and while not an injury, Marques Wilson being out has left this team with no depth.
I agree that Andree is probably a concussion. Karnik went out with an ankle according to radio guy. Hopefully they are back Thursday or at least for a semi final game, if we get past Army
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 am

Bison_137 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 am
CHIP72 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:30 pm
Not meaningless if they cared about being PL co-champions. Except for seeding, they would own the championship as much as Colgate or Bucknell, which likely would mean something to the players and would give them a banner to put up.
To be frank, I don't think many people care about being co-regular season champions in a league if they don't win the tiebreaker, especially if they were winless against the other co-champions.

Did Bucknell cut down any nets after winning their game yesterday? Colgate did after beating Lafayette in Easton. I have a feeling Lehigh wouldn't have cut down any nets to celebrate their "co-championship" had they beaten Loyola.
Lehigh65

Post by Lehigh65 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:23 am

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not pleased with the way we played but let’s give credit where credit is due. Loyola is, and has proven in the past to be a team not to be taken lightly. In the Patriot League, you can say that about almost everybody this year. But, let’s remember that the Greyhounds did beat: Army, American, Boston U., Holy Cross, Colgate, American, and Navy before proving too much for us to handle last night. They do own two of the League’s best scoring weapons in Andrew Kostecka (#1 @22.3 ppg) and Isaiah Hart (#18 @ 12.8ppg). Last night the two combined for 37 points going 12 for 25 and 10 of 13 from the line. Additionally, the Greyhounds seemingly couldn’t miss from “3,” connecting on 12 of 16. Tack on the fact that, has been mentioned above, we sorely missed the “big” presence of PA and JK, leaving us only Lynch, Porter and Wilson to fill the void up front. The three – principally Lynch - connected on just 6 of 18 attempts.

Here’s hoping PA and JK make it back for a Playoff run that begins on Thursday. There, I contend, anything is possible. And, I can all but guarantee you that Tavaras Hardy, Loyola’s Head Coach, is telling his troops the same thing this morning, after looking over the Playoff Schedule where he sees BU, CU, AU, and Navy all to be on their side of the bracket - teams his squad as already beaten this year. PL Playoff Basketball is here! It doesn’t get much better than this.

See you on Thursday at Stabler.