Semi Sunday.....LU and Others

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
Hawk85

Re: Semi Sunday.....LU and Others

Post by Hawk85 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:36 pm

You spent a lot of energy pointing fingers at the coach and guards. Claiming Lehigh's superior talent and the disappointing "0-5 vs Bucknell and Colgate." Given a chance to replace the coach and PGs with the best PG in the history of the league you would think be sufficient to come out with a W in your view. OK, we'll chalk it up to culture and hence put it on the coach again...remember, for this make belief scenario, you were the coach, not Reed.

No doubt Davis and Langel are terrific coaches, but you are going over the top with your criticism of coaches and players. IMHO, the real culprit is your assertion of superior talent. If you scrutinize Lehigh's roster with Bucknell and/or Colgate you have mismatches that put Lehigh at a disadvantage. As these mismatches materialize in a game and the team falls behind, players/coaches adjust the style of play to compensate and hopefully change their fortunes.

From my perspective, you are capitalizing on these changes and claiming this is the reason we lose when the real reason we lose to these teams is the reason we needed to change our style of play in the first place.

Mhawk37

Post by Mhawk37 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. We can pick up this convo at the end of next season when i have a feeling we will all be having a similar discussion.
Hawk85

Post by Hawk85 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Of course, we can certainly agree to disagree. But, after reading all your posts, and I certainly could be wrong on this, it didn't sound like you would have much of a reason to care what is being said on this forum next year. If I am wrong, we'll pick up the conversation then.
Mhawk37

Post by Mhawk37 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm

I'll be back. Look forward to the many arguments ahead and hopefully having to eat crow as Doc gets named coach of the year and we win the PL title.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Mhawk37 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:17 pm To be fair, 20 wins is 20 wins, and the small group in this forum are just about the only people that seem to care about Lehigh basketball, so I know that nothing is going to happen. I simply don't like the trajectory of this program. I think we're a lot closer to becoming Lafayette than we are to becoming Bucknell.
An example of the importance of basketball to the Bison fan base and their community which has a longstanding basketball tradition.... Bucknell is offering a free ride to Hamilton for Wednesday's game for any fan who buys a ticket on the Bucknell website and pre-registers for a seat on their bus. Buses paid for by program sponsors. They are currently filling the fourth bus.
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Not sure how you could come to any conclusion other than Doc is an average (at best) coach. He has one regular season championship in twelve seasons (some in an 8 team league and some in a 10 team league). That is less championships than if they just rotated it around the league and let everybody take it home in equal share.

He has had the best player in league history, plus guys like Zahir Carrington, Marquis Hall, Gabe Knutsen, Kahron Ross, Tim Kempton, Mackey McKnight, Holden Grenier, Kyle Leufroy, etc. If you let every PL team create a roster of their best talent from the past 10 years, Lehigh would hands down have the best or second best roster in the league (to Bucknell). Despite this, he has one single regular season championship.

Yes, he can recruit. No, he cannot coach that talent to championships. And let's be real - the Duke win was CJ's work.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am

jimk72 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:58 pm
Mhawk37 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:17 pm To be fair, 20 wins is 20 wins, and the small group in this forum are just about the only people that seem to care about Lehigh basketball, so I know that nothing is going to happen. I simply don't like the trajectory of this program. I think we're a lot closer to becoming Lafayette than we are to becoming Bucknell.
An example of the importance of basketball to the Bison fan base and their community which has a longstanding basketball tradition.... Bucknell is offering a free ride to Hamilton for Wednesday's game for any fan who buys a ticket on the Bucknell website and pre-registers for a seat on their bus. Buses paid for by program sponsors. They are currently filling the fourth bus.

Unfortunately students are on break, so it won't be a very noisy contingent riding those buses up to Hamilton.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:38 pm

StablerBum wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:01 pm Not sure how you could come to any conclusion other than Doc is an average (at best) coach. He has one regular season championship in twelve seasons (some in an 8 team league and some in a 10 team league). That is less championships than if they just rotated it around the league and let everybody take it home in equal share.

He has had the best player in league history, plus guys like Zahir Carrington, Marquis Hall, Gabe Knutsen, Kahron Ross, Tim Kempton, Mackey McKnight, Holden Grenier, Kyle Leufroy, etc. If you let every PL team create a roster of their best talent from the past 10 years, Lehigh would hands down have the best or second best roster in the league (to Bucknell). Despite this, he has one single regular season championship.

Yes, he can recruit. No, he cannot coach that talent to championships. And let's be real - the Duke win was CJ's work.
+1