Semi Sunday.....LU and Others

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
Lehigh65

Semi Sunday.....LU and Others

Post by Lehigh65 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Game Notes

LU’s

https://static.lehighsports.com/customp ... 1510069857

How KenPom Sees It

Navy #281…4 and 2 over their last 6
@
Colgate #103 … riding a 9 game winning streak
Colgate wins by 13 (76-63)

Series Record
Navy won by 6 on 1/3 @ Navy
CU won by 22 on 2/23 @ Colgate

Lehigh # 165…4 and 2 over their last 6
@
Bucknell # 150…3 and 3 over their last 6
Bucknell wins by 5 (82-77)

Series Record
Bucknell won by 2 on 1/19 @ Lehigh
Bucknell won by 12 ob 2/11 @ Bucknell

KenPom PL Stats of Interest

Home Team Won 61% (55 of 90 games)
Close Contests (4 pts. of less or OT) 27.8% (25 of 90 games)
Blowouts (> 9 pts.) 10% (9 of 90 games)

RichH

Re: Semi Sunday.....LU and Others

Post by RichH » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:16 pm

About a minute left down by 20. A butt whupping start to finish. An ugly end to the season.
We dont play D . Depth part of that for sure. Misiing CB and MW a killer. Still our effort on D is just sad.
A 20 W season should leave at least some positive sense. Hard to find much here. So much talent but too few starters willing to play D.
Another year of disappointed expectations.
Mhawk37

Post by Mhawk37 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Unfortunately, I think we all saw this coming. 10 assists, 13 turnovers. A ton of forced offense. Really disappointing season. One of the things that struck me in all three Bucknell matchups and the two Colgate matchups is the incredible culture at both of those programs. You see a guy open in the corner of your eye and within half a second that guy has the ball. An Achilles heel for us all season was just how iso heavy we played, especially once patriot league play started and our two point guards tried to create more often as the talent level of their opponents dropped. I found myself thinking “wow we’re really going to take that shot” and “real lucky that went in” or “wow real thankful the ref gave us that call” a lot more than “what a great extra pass to a wide open guy.” Good teams make you pay for playing that way. 0-5 against the class of the league. We lose a lot of talent next year, and I predict we will have at least one player transfer (and probably more). We could have all just loved through the “peak” of Lehigh basketball. Next year could be ugly. Thank god for CJ or we’d have nothing to hang our hat on in the Doc era.
LehighGuy

Post by LehighGuy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:23 pm

Most disapointing award goes to Pat Andre
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Naah LG. That is a team award this year.
Mhawk37

Post by Mhawk37 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Think it gets kind of hard to be anyone but Jordan or Lance in this offense. This team looks zero fun to be a part of unless you’re one of those two guys. Pat and Kyle got pushed aside for the LT and JC show after being by far our most consistent and reliable players in the non conference. Can’t think of many meaningful touches either Kyle or Pat got today. Andree and Kyle combined for 12 shots today and if memory serves got those shots at the end of a shot clock. Hard to get any flow as a scorer when your two point guards are probing their third dribble combination move of a posession.
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Not that it would have changed anything but the Morning Call story says Karnik was hurt in practice yesterday and the swelling intensified during the game.
This season was disappointing. Injuries left us with no depth.
I don't think we drop off as much next season as some on this board do. Cohen made great strides this year. JW has a lot of upside. MW and CB come back. Andree, who took an elbow to the head today, will be back.
Bucknell will always be Bucknell Langel has really turned Colgate around but we'll be among the top three again, I think
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:04 pm

Assuming all return we should be competitive. My question is whether we will be any less frustrating. :cry: :x :
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Been home for two hours. Still a bit numb because that last game loss always ends the season with a thud. I understand the disappointment of this game and the season. In fairness Bucknell is a very nice Patriot League team. And on balance, 20 wins by any division one program isn't exactly terrible. Here's whats frustrating to me: with a few exceptions, very few of our kids seem to get fundamentally better during their careers. Defensively or offensively. And we end up with the same fundamental failures. With talent most think is as good as anybody in the league.

Today in the league's best home court environment I thought we played pretty decent defense for the first 15 minutes and then when Bucknell hit a couple of shots, defense went all to hell. For the rest of the game. And once we got behind we seemed to force the offensive flow through two people, against their bigs. I don't mind Cohen in that mode in the right circumstances but that is not Lance's game. Can't the coaching staff control that? Can't they sit these guys down and get them to relax and work for better shots? And wake up on defense?

In summary I lay it all on the coaching staff. I know we were missing people and James and Pat were not 100%. But I doubt Caleb or Marques or better health would have made much difference. Until we get better, consistent fundamentals we will under achieve our talent. We will outscore lesser teams most of the time and almost always struggle against better teams. The head coach hires the assistants and sets the tone. The assistants coach the positions. If 20 wins isn't good enough, something in that mix has to change.

An finally some positives. 20 wins, M. Wilson is going to be very good, two talented upper class starters return, on paper the three recruits have very nice credentials, and only seven months until next season. Hope you all have great summer!
Travis23

Post by Travis23 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:07 pm

I have been back for a few hours myself. Rough game. Jmk I am in the same boat. I am very down the season is over. Last game. Especially with a loss is tough. I love this team and going to games with my family. Talking hoops with them in a group chat. Coming on here and talking to everyone. Hard to believe another year is in the books. Bucknell is simply a better team all around. They have better players then we do. We have a few guys who don’t defend very well and good teams will take advantage of that. Bennet and Wilson would have been a plus not sure a huge difference tho. I love the way bucknell continues to move and move and move the ball. Very nice offense they run at times. Kimbal is amazing. Class act to. Props to bucknell. I may need to stop going down there lost 4 outta last five there I believe. And we go every year.

I’m a tad worried. Losing the scoring of lance and Kyle is going to hurt us. Who is going to fill that void besides Jordan. Pat. We deff are going to need 2 of the 3 new kids coming in to make an impact. Not sure who said about kids transferring ? But I seriously doubt we lose anyone. American. Army. Bucknell Colgate are all going to be very good next year. It’s getting late. I’m beat. Long day. I will be in here to post more
Thoughts when I can think clearly. But let’s all stay in touch in here. I need my hoops talk fix lol