PL Hoops: Coaches Poll vs Final Standings - Last 4 Seasons

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
StablerBum

PL Hoops: Coaches Poll vs Final Standings - Last 4 Seasons

Post by StablerBum » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:36 am

I was curious about the idea on how badly Lehigh has been underachieving in hoops compared to preseason expectations. To take a quick look, I compared the preseason coaches poll vs the final order of finish of every school for the past 4 seasons (i.e. if you were picked 2nd but finished 4th you would get a "-2" for that season). Some of the results were pretty surprising to me. Ranked below from biggest overachievers (total difference between poll rank vs final standing rank) to underachievers:

Navy +13
Colgate +10
Bucknell +4
Army +2
Lafayette & Loyola +1
American -1
Lehigh -3
Holy Cross - 5
BU -6

- This is harsh on Bucknell as they have won or tied for each conference regular season championship - they have just been picked towards the top of the conference every year as well. So they have had very high expectations and still overachieved.
- Langel has been better than I realized over the past 4 years, and DeChellis as well deserves some respect for overachievement
- Lehigh was picked 1st in three of the last 4 seasons, finishing with two seconds and a third in those years
- Lehigh overachieved once in those 4 seasons, picked 4th in 17-18 and finishing third