Coaching Change

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
toddcudd

Re: Coaching Change

Post by toddcudd » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:27 pm

Agree that Kroogs was a significant loss. Players liked him, and I'm afraid the same is true with Wyche. Meanwhile, we lose players to transfer.

lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Shouldn't our first call for Associate Head Coach position be to Matt Logie? Seems like a no-brainer. I would hope we could pay more than D3 Head Coach money (maybe not?). Logie is back home, but he'd be a nice "in waiting" at Lehigh.

He had a "down" year this year and won 21 games. I think his winning percentage through 7-8 years in D3 is about 85%. I think he was winningest D3 coach, in the nation, over the his tenure.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:17 pm

lehigh90 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:12 pm Shouldn't our first call for Associate Head Coach position be to Matt Logie? Seems like a no-brainer. I would hope we could pay more than D3 Head Coach money (maybe not?). Logie is back home, but he'd be a nice "in waiting" at Lehigh.

He had a "down" year this year and won 21 games. I think his winning percentage through 7-8 years in D3 is about 85%. I think he was winningest D3 coach, in the nation, over the his tenure.
+1
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:01 pm

lehigh90 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:12 pm Shouldn't our first call for Associate Head Coach position be to Matt Logie? Seems like a no-brainer. I would hope we could pay more than D3 Head Coach money (maybe not?). Logie is back home, but he'd be a nice "in waiting" at Lehigh.

Most PL assistants make less than good D3 coaches. LU hasn't been known for generosity in paying hoops coaches, so I don't know it would be an upgrade for Logie. He certainly would have to come in as the top assistant for the pay to possibly be comparable.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Would be interesting to know Brett's long term aspirations. He's been sideways regarding success here lately. At this point if he's looking to go beyond this level, taking a top assistant position in a power conference would be a potential next move. It would probably be a pay upgrade of sorts. Otherwise he's thinking of being a lifer here? Coaching or administration?

If Brett would be out for any reason, I'd scream for Matt Logie. Only concern is why hasn't he exiting Whitworth?
He's done all you can do there.

http://www.whitworthpirates.com/informa ... e?view=bio
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:51 pm

I thought. at the time, that Fran McCaffrey was crazy to leave a D1 head coaching job at Lehigh to be an assistant at Notre Dame. And, he looked crazy after only parlaying the ND assistant job, years later (11 seasons at ND), into the head coaching job at UNCG. He was average at UNCG (.500 over 6 seasons), and looked to be near the end of the line, but he was able to parlay that into a very successful stint at Siena, and now 9 years at Iowa.

So, he could have probably still been the coach at Lehigh, now 31 years after he left. My guess is over those 31 years, his pay may have averaged $150,000-200,000 adjusted for inflation, or roughly $5M. He probably made more at Notre Dame anyway than Lehigh. He probably didn't make much at UNCG over his tenure there, probably slightly more or same as Lehigh. But, probably doubled his pay plus at Siena, and now making $2M base per season at Iowa. So, in retrospect, his move from Lehigh probably made his $20M+ over the long run. Not too shabby.

So, would make sense for Reed to jump to an assistant position at a Power conference school. I never got the impression he wanted to be a lifer like his counterpart in Easton, who is a very good coach, and probably should be somewhere better at this point. I look at a former Lehigh player like Kyle Neptune, who seems very close to parlaying Villanova's success into a D1 head coaching job. He has no real head coaching experience, but will jump ahead of Reed in the pecking order when hired somewhere, probably next season. And, I agree with another thread that Langel should be jumping from Colgate in the near future as well. St. Joseph's seemed like a logical spot, but I'm told the alumni didn't think he was a big enough name to excite people on Hawk Hill. He would have been a decent hire at Temple as well, since he was there as an assistant, but they went for the name in Aaron McKie. I wouldn't be surprised to see Langel back at Temple at some point. He has done a lot, with very little, at Colgate.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:58 pm

I think most fans who follow the PL would take Langel in a second ahead of Billy Lange. It's St. Joes' mistake apparently - going for name recognition instead of coaching ability.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Another good comparison for Reed is Monte Ross, who just got hired to be Aaron McKie's top assistant at Temple. Monte was an assistant for a year or two at Lehigh in the '90's. He went on to be HC at Delaware for 10 years and had a limited success, maybe 3-4 winning seasons. If he can get named as a top assistant at a solid program like Temple, than Reed could likely do the same.

The argument for being a lifer for Reed is Billy Taylor. His jump from Lehigh has been pretty disasterous. He's now at Belmont Abbey in NC, which is D2. I often thought that Reed could end up as an assistant at Iowa at some point, like Billy Taylor did, as they all sort of flow from that McCaffrey Lehigh/Notre Dame/UNCG tree.
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:37 pm

Logie was the associate head coach at Lehigh when he left. He's won a ton of games at Whitworth but limited tournament success despite the gaudy records. No way he comes back to Lehigh for the same title he left a number of years ago.

I'd take a shot on Logie or Neptune over Reed though. We've seen Reed's ceiling (coaching in the PL with a lottery pick). Let's give soemone else a shot.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:58 pm

StablerBum wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:37 pm

Logie was the associate head coach at Lehigh when he left. He's won a ton of games at Whitworth but limited tournament success despite the gaudy records. No way he comes back to Lehigh for the same title he left a number of years ago.

I'd take a shot on Logie or Neptune over Reed though. We've seen Reed's ceiling (coaching in the PL with a lottery pick). Let's give soemone else a shot.
Bball may benefit from new voices. A very high bar tho. No matter all our complaints Doc has built a strong program both athletically and academically. His lack of consistent success et al are valid but whoever we propose has to do better..