2019-20 Out of Conference Schedule

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
Lehigh65

Re: 2019-20 Out of Conference Schedule

Post by Lehigh65 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:37 am

We will host SFU on Saturday, Dec. 22.

jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:42 am

Fire Reed? Huh? We won 20 games last year & four new quality scholarship players enrolled. The 2020 class is a little shaky so far but its early...... I agree that two ok walk on's left the program, but it was apparent they probably would never get significant playing time or a scholarship. I do agree losing Bennet was not good, but it's happening all over D-1.

As for Reed, I admit there are times I'd like to try for an upgrade in game management, but I would not fire a quality person who has done a generally good job with a historically under supported program.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:11 am

Lu15 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:17 pm November 16 @va tech
Hmmm. A big weekend for LU sports. Football at Sacred Heart to warm up for the Leotards, but wrestling taking on Oklahoma State at Stabler and now Bball getting hokie!
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:16 am

jimk72 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:42 am Fire Reed? Huh? We won 20 games last year & four new quality scholarship players enrolled. The 2020 class is a little shaky so far but its early...... I agree that two ok walk on's left the program, but it was apparent they probably would never get significant playing time or a scholarship. I do agree losing Bennet was not good, but it's happening all over D-1.

As for Reed, I admit there are times I'd like to try for an upgrade in game management, but I would not fire a quality person who has done a generally good job with a historically under supported program.
Well said. Reed has run an excellent program. Lehigh has had the longest consistent period of winning basketball that I can remember. From the 1970's (which were putrid), Lehigh has rarely had teams with predominantly winning records. We'd have a stretch of a year or two, but then relapse. Bball can swing quickly since it can be impacted so easily and quickly by the addition or subtraction of a key player or two. Overall, Reed has brought sustained success to the program and, imo, has now raised expectations that never were dreamt before. He represents the University very well and has his priorities straight.
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:19 am

jimk72 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:42 am Fire Reed? Huh? We won 20 games last year & four new quality scholarship players enrolled. The 2020 class is a little shaky so far but its early...... I agree that two ok walk on's left the program, but it was apparent they probably would never get significant playing time or a scholarship. I do agree losing Bennet was not good, but it's happening all over D-1.

It is a little frustrating that Lehigh often seems to somewhat underachieve under Brett Reed, but the Mountain Hawks have generally been better than average under Reed and almost always are competitive. Rooting for such a team sure beats where Lehigh basketball was for most of its history prior to Billy Taylor (who steered the ship in the right direction after the disaster known as Sal Mentesana) and Reed (who has kept the ship going in that direction and IMO elevated the program another step or at least a half-step up).
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:24 am

Off-topic, but I don't want to create another thread for this - Lafayette has posted its full 2019-20 schedule on the Lafayette athletics website. The men's basketball edition of the Lehigh/Lafayette rivalry will be renewed on Saturday 1/25 at Stabler Arena and Saturday 2/8 in Easton.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 am

jimk72 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:42 am I agree that two ok walk on's left the program, but it was apparent they probably would never get significant playing time or a scholarship. I do agree losing Bennet was not good, but it's happening all over D-1.

Curious why you think Joe Foley probably wouldn't have seen playing time. He played a fair amount in the latter part of the season, including giving them 18 good minutes in the PL semi-final. With four quality players gone, I would have expected him to have a real chance to be in the rotation. I know that LU has some well-regarded frosh arriving, but it's not always easy for a freshman to move ahead of an experienced player - especially one Reed showed confidence in.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:08 pm

The following is pure conjecture on my part :-)

PWOs, especially ones who are fairly highly credentialed come to a program with the promise of being given the chance to work themselves into a scholarship. Bennett announces that he is leaving the program. Perhaps instead of offering it to JF, they bring on Taylor.
There are all kinds of reasons players leave a program. We have been fortunate to bring in some high level recruits nationally but they all expect to start and we typically only go 8 deep. Couple that with home sickness and the writing may be on the wall for some.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Bison_137 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 am
jimk72 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:42 am I agree that two ok walk on's left the program, but it was apparent they probably would never get significant playing time or a scholarship. I do agree losing Bennet was not good, but it's happening all over D-1.

Curious why you think Joe Foley probably wouldn't have seen playing time. He played a fair amount in the latter part of the season, including giving them 18 good minutes in the PL semi-final. With four quality players gone, I would have expected him to have a real chance to be in the rotation. I know that LU has some well-regarded frosh arriving, but it's not always easy for a freshman to move ahead of an experienced player - especially one Reed showed confidence in.
In my opinion Joe got these late season minutes due to the injury to Caleb Bennett. He was somewhat valuable as a guard who could rebound a bit and had a decent first step and some quickness. Handle was marginal, and a bit suspect against quality defenders. In fairness the handle may have improved with game time. But he never took a mid or short range jump shot. In games, or in warm-ups. Never. ????
Lehigh65

Post by Lehigh65 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:04 am

It's now confirmed, we head south to take-on Auburn on Saturday, Dec. 21st.