Ben Li

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
Travis23

Ben Li

Post by Travis23 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Commited

RichH

Re: Ben Li

Post by RichH » Fri May 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Now that's goid news heading into the weekend.
Football Bball and softball with commits this week. :D
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:03 pm

Welcome aboard Ben!
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue May 28, 2019 1:56 am

From Hoop Group Southern Jamfest Notebook

BEN LI, TEAM LOADED VA GOLD 17U

A recent Lehigh commit, Li made his Team Loaded debut in Hampton, scoring 9 points in a 65-56 win over BWSL Meech.

“Education is No. 1 for me,” Li said, “and I wanted to go to a school that had a perfect balance of education and basketball. So I think Lehigh was a great spot for me. I had school talking to me like NC State and all those high major schools, but I felt like I wanted something I could rely on after I stop playing basketball, so I want to go to Lehigh and get a good Business degree and also play good basketball and hopefully a certain amount of years of pro after that.”

A transfer from Thornlea Secondary School in Ontario, Canada, Li enjoyed a strong first season at Middleburg Academy (Va.), averaging close to 20 points and 11 rebounds per game/

“It was a good transition for me and it went smoothly thanks to my coaches at Middleburg,” Li said. “It was just a great decision to come down here from Canada; I felt like I definitely improved and it provided a platform to showcase myself.”

Li said the biggest thing he had to adjust to was playing against taller and more physical players, but added that the strong level of competition in Canada helped him ease into his new surroundings.

At 6-foot-6, 230 pounds, Li has a nice frame and good strength, along with nice hands and a nice inside-outside game. With his commitment done, he’s focusing on improving his all-around game and preparing for the next level.

“The reason I committed early is just to get it out the way and get a head start on getting ready for college. I want to get a year early to get my body right and mentally right.”
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue May 28, 2019 2:01 am

A few other comments from recent tournaments

First time seeing Lehigh commit Ben Li play today and lets just say: LEHIGH IS GETTING A STUD! Big body, can rebound, defend and finish above the rim.

What a get for Lehigh in Team Loaded Va Ben Li
6’6 stretch forward with feel & high basketball IQ. Perimeter game mixed with strength & athleticism. Will excel in Patriot League
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Wed May 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Love it. Nice offer list for Li as well. Like that Reed is bringing in some bigger bodies too. Li looks like a load at the 3 and agile enough for the 4 as well. Given the historic rebounding challenges, it's nice to have some versatile size. Would include J Wilson and hopefully Evan Taylor in there as well.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Really good highlight video of Ben in a couple of tournament games this week.

I was not aware of his outside shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpAvzWPVp48
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:32 pm

Wow. Inside and out. Guess we are no longer a G centric team. :D
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:27 am

Can we fly him in and get him eligible for tonight?
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:59 pm

With all this talk of home sickness and Men's Basketball, I suddenly noticed that Li transferred back to his old HS in Canada sometime during the 1st semester.