Game 10 - AWP

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
TMH

Re: Game 10 - AWP

Post by TMH » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:20 pm

jimk72,

I wouldn't take a whole lot from yesterday's game. Yes, it was exciting to the very end and the team was really scrapping but for some reason the stars aligned just right over Stabler to make the basket appear large.
Even after last night's .435 3 pt shooting, they are 165 th in the nation in that department at .338 for the season.
What's even stranger is that even after Army's .526 shooting night and Funk's other worldly performance, they are even worse at 187th and a .332 shooting percentage. In the last game before Army (American). we shot 3 for 19. The game prior to that (Lafayette)we were 5 for 18. Yes we are capable of having hot nights but we aren't near consistent enough to be competitive enough in this league. Brett had been building this team based on 6-4 snipers and so we lack height in the front court especially with Karnik's injury.
Unfortunately, I'm told that there is no snipers in next year's class either.

With that being said,I think we do have the capability of surprising some teams when our injured players return. They play hard but are undermanned right now.

Just my opinion.

jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:20 pm jimk72,

I wouldn't take a whole lot from yesterday's game. Yes, it was exciting to the very end and the team was really scrapping but for some reason the stars aligned just right over Stabler to make the basket appear large.
Even after last night's .435 3 pt shooting, they are 165 th in the nation in that department at .338 for the season.
What's even stranger is that even after Army's .526 shooting night and Funk's other worldly performance, they are even worse at 187th and a .332 shooting percentage. In the last game before Army (American). we shot 3 for 19. The game prior to that (Lafayette)we were 5 for 18. Yes we are capable of having hot nights but we aren't near consistent enough to be competitive enough in this league. Brett had been building this team based on 6-4 snipers and so we lack height in the front court especially with Karnik's injury.
Unfortunately, I'm told that there is no snipers in next year's class either.

With that being said,I think we do have the capability of surprising some teams when our injured players return. They play hard but are undermanned right now.

Just my opinion.
I may be just an old optimist about what we have in house talent wise at this point, so we will see. You mentioned next year's class. We have a 5'10" 185# speedster point guard (Jalin Sinclair) who looks like a jitter bug on film, a 6'6" 225# "small" forward (Ben Li) who is anything but small, and a 6'8" power forward (no weight listed) (J T Tan) who also takes up substantial real estate. Brett went really "big" with this class. Of the three, Ben Li may be a shooter, based on the You Tube that's available. At the very least this will be a very interesting group.

Odd how the highlight films almost never show their misses......
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:30 pm

LOL...I had that same conversation with Brett with regard to hi-light films. I was optimistic about Li until I saw he was shooting 3s at about 28%. Tan doesn't shoot them at all. Your description of Sinclair appears to be very accurate although I'm told he is really not a long range shooter either.
We have some real potential. My hope is that Fenton develops into a 40% shooter as he progresses. I hope MWilson gets back to the sniper he showed when he first burst on to the scene. Taylor is perhaps our best right now percentage wise but he doesn't shoot from there much. The art of outside shooting sometimes is as much mental as physical and players need to practice endlessly so they have the confidence at game time.
Next year however we may have some really good size depth for the 1st time in a long while.
van

Post by van » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:50 pm

since we are on to next years team already, I am very concerned about PG next year, don't see anyone on the bench that can come close to JC's minutes, defense, or scoring on a team that is struggling this year, Reed, Marques and Evan have ability to up there scoring, thinking our next great PG is still in high school, hopefully not a Soph
van

Post by van » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 pm

van wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:50 pm since we are on to next years team already, I am very concerned about PG next year, don't see anyone on the bench that can come close to JC's minutes, defense, or scoring on a team that is struggling this year, Reed, Marques and Evan do have ability to up there scoring and can make up for some of Jordan's pts, but I am thinking our next great PG is still in high school, hopefully not a Soph
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:35 pm

Personally, I think next year's point guard is playing at Suffield Academy right now. Jalin Sinclair appears to be a very good floor general, defender and did score 42 points in a game this year on something like 17 of 21 shooting.

It's not unusual to start a freshman at PG at Lehigh. I think Marquis Hall manned it from 2006-2010, Mackey McKnight took over from 2010-2014 and Kahron Ross held it down from 2014-2018 before being handed off to Cohen.

Just my guess though.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:15 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:35 pm Personally, I think next year's point guard is playing at Suffield Academy right now. Jalin Sinclair appears to be a very good floor general, defender and did score 42 points in a game this year on something like 17 of 21 shooting.

It's not unusual to start a freshman at PG at Lehigh. I think Marquis Hall manned it from 2006-2010, Mackey McKnight took over from 2010-2014 and Kahron Ross held it down from 2014-2018 before being handed off to Cohen.

Just my guess though.
I thought Betlow might be next at point, but based on what I've seen this year I'm hoping Sinclair is as advertised.
van

Post by van » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:40 pm

agree on Betlow, seems lost at times, still only a FR, room to grow