Last chance

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
jimk72

Re: Last chance

Post by jimk72 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:26 pm

Bravo TMH. !!! Dead center on target !!!

RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:31 am

TMH wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:29 pm If your goal is simply to win National Championships...you are absolutely correct that we will never overtake the "athletic factories". That isn't the goal though and nor it should be. Maintaining the academic integrity of the University is and should be the #1 goal. Winning the Patriot League should be our goal. Playing David against some Goliaths is a welcome bi-product. Lehigh's soccer team this year played 3 Big 10 teams with every advantage in the world. They beat Northwestern, Rutgers and lost in OT to Wisconsin. The opportunity to play in front of some large crowds should be a bonus, complete with big pay days eg Women's basketball vs UConn or Notre Dame. The immense exposure of playing in the NCAA Basketball Tournament is a huge bonus. Beating Duke is enormous. Luring the best and brightest to Lehigh though is the goal.
Yup. Always felt that Lehigh strived to be the best at who we are and want to be.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:40 pm

It's like we want to be the "Canada" of athletic/academic institutions. Peering over the fence at Duke and Stanford and under the fence at the Ives.....viva la second tier!
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:36 pm

TMH makes a good point; I agree with many of TMH's comments: It IS great to play and compete with the Big Boys/Women ...

Problem is big wins are relatively inconsistent.

It's getting tougher for me to rationalize we preach to our students (and wrestlers) you are here to the THE BEST, period, but in other sports you're here to be the best you can be, and hopefully win the PL.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:36 pm TMH makes a good point; I agree with many of TMH's comments: It IS great to play and compete with the Big Boys/Women ...

It's getting tougher for me to rationalize we preach to our students (and wrestlers) you are here to the THE BEST, period, but in other sports you're here to be the best you can be, and hopefully win the PL.
I'm not going to try to generalize what motivates student athletes but I have talked to many of them over the years and there seems to be a common thread.

Truly elite athletes expect to pursue their passion beyond college, whether professionally or in the Olympics, so they choose the factory that will most likely produce the desired outcome.

There is a second level that remotely understands the odds of going on but want the opportunity of playing before big crowds. Academics is not particularly their highest priority.

The student athlete that Lehigh and the rest of PL goes after are looking to parlay their athletics skills and hard work in the classroom and on the field into the opportunity to get a high class education and the opportunity to test themselves at the Division 1 level. Yes they judge their success on the wins and losses as a team but they are also aware of their ability to perform individually against Div 1 opponents.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:29 pm

TMH wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:13 pm
Sundayamqb wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:36 pm TMH makes a good point; I agree with many of TMH's comments: It IS great to play and compete with the Big Boys/Women ...

I'm not going to try to generalize what motivates student athletes but I have talked to many of them over the years and there seems to be a common thread.

Truly elite athletes expect to pursue their passion beyond college, whether professionally or in the Olympics, so they choose the factory that will most likely produce the desired outcome.

There is a second level that remotely understands the odds of going on but want the opportunity of playing before big crowds. Academics is not particularly their highest priority.

The student athlete that Lehigh and the rest of PL goes after are looking to parlay their athletics skills and hard work in the classroom and on the field into the opportunity to get a high class education and the opportunity to test themselves at the Division 1 level. Yes they judge their success on the wins and losses as a team but they are also aware of their ability to perform individually against Div 1 opponents.
Makes sense ...