Starters?

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
lehigh90

Starters?

Post by lehigh90 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Any ideas with this group?

Is Tejada your PG, primary ball handler?

Is Leufroy back in the starting lineup as a senior?

Is Lynch a starter at the 5, moving Karnik to the 4?

Does Wilson remain a starter, like he was last year late?

I am going to go with the following (big lineup):

Tejada
Leufroy
Andree
Karnik
Lynch (my gut tells me this guy is a 4 year starter at the 5, a la Gabe and Kempton)

Gives us a ball handler, 3 capable perimeter shooters, and hopefully, a couple posts who can bang.

van

Re: Starters?

Post by van » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:29 pm

not sure if Lynch is ready for big minutes right yet but if he is, can Karnik match up at the 4?

I like Cohen at the point with Leufroy off the bench but either way all 3 should get lot of minutes

coach has real quality depth this year with Bennett, Wilson, Porter and the frosh
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Based on a conversation a few months ago, Cohen is penciled in to be our PG, I'm also pretty certain that Karnik and Andree will be your Fs. The biggest question is who starts at the wings but barring injuries, there is some real serious depth there.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:23 pm

van wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:29 pm not sure if Lynch is ready for big minutes right yet but if he is, can Karnik match up at the 4?

I like Cohen at the point with Leufroy off the bench but either way all 3 should get lot of minutes

coach has real quality depth this year with Bennett, Wilson, Porter and the frosh

I doubt both Lynch and Karnik will play much at the same time. I expect Karnik to start. I agree that Cohen will start at the PG. I expect starting lineup to be Karnik, Andree, Wilson, Tejada, and Cohen. As you say, lots of depth. Clearly the most talent in the league this year.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Surprised people aren't higher on Lynch preseason. 3 star recruit, who held an offer from Washington, from a very good high school program. It sounded from the high school write-ups that he had a fairly polished low post game. Legit 6'10", 255 lbs. I know Karnik had a good freshman year, but I think Lynch may have more upside.

I don't like Cohen as a big minute guy on the ball. He's limited, and I think, more of a backup PG at this level. I like him for 15-20 minutes per game. Again, I think Tejada and Leufroy bring higher ceilings.

If Andree is on the floor with one big (for argument Karnik), we are going to struggle to rebound the basketball.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:15 pm

I also like Cohen at point. Potentially one of the best in league. Lynch's and Karnic's progress will determine how much Andree has to play at 4.. had the chance talk to coach in June at Iron Pigs game. He likes Lynch a lot. Tejada is the back up at point and may be stuck backing up Wilson at SG as well. Ideally Andree is starter at 3. The 3 could be any of The new J. Wilson, Leufroy, Bennet, etc at times. And then the mysterious Jack Leib. Is he finally ready? Alot more questions this year. Very good questions.My dark horse at 3 is Bennett if Andree has to play 4 more. A real athletic scrapper.
van

Post by van » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:24 pm

as the season went on last year, Andree became a better rebounder, granted it is not his strong suit but he does have the size to mix it up
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:58 pm

lehigh90 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:05 pm

If Andree is on the floor with one big (for argument Karnik), we are going to struggle to rebound the basketball.

Curious why you would be pessimistic about that combo's rebounding. With one exception (Kempton), those two had the two best defensive rebounding rates of any LU player in the last decade - any position. And Karnik had the best overall rebounding rate of any LU player other than Kempton in over a decade.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Again, just from conversation....Coach really likes big men who can shoot. It's a mismatch problem that he loves to exploit. We talked about the BU game last year. We struggled as a tem getting our shot off because we were being defended by bigger players. Andree is the man
I doubt Lynch will start but he certainly gives us depth in an area we haven't had it in awhile. His PT will probably be determined by match ups and how he performs in practice and the minutes he is given.
I'm thinking Wilson and Tejada at the wings with a lot of rotation in and out. That situation remains really fluid I think.
I think Cohen will surprise a lot of people. Besides having the highest returning shooting % of our top 8 minutes players (2nd only behind Ross last year). He led the team in FT %, had almost a 2 to 1 assist/TO ratio, was 4th on the team in rebounding and 3rd in blocked shots (1 behind Karnik)
van

Post by van » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Bison_137 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:58 pm
lehigh90 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Curious why you would be pessimistic about that combo's rebounding. With one exception (Kempton), those two had the two best defensive rebounding rates of any LU player in the last decade - any position. And Karnik had the best overall rebounding rate of any LU player other than Kempton in over a decade.
hey, we're Lehigh fans, we can be pessimistic about just about anything :D