Basketball Update

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
TMH

Basketball Update

Post by TMH » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Talked to Coach today.
Leib is still not ready. Porter is rehabbing a shoulder. I have no idea of availability. Don't expect Karnick and Lynch to share the floor all that often.The college game is changing. Coach likes the analytics of the open three vs the contested two. The two may be in at the same time for defensive purposes and I suspect foul trouble.

Bison_137

Re: Basketball Update

Post by Bison_137 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:25 pm

I'll be surprised if Karnik and Lynch ever share the floor.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 am

What is Lieb's injury?
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:44 pm

My understanding is that he broke a bone in a foot before his freshman season began. . They repaired it surgically and put a screw in. After it healed they found out it was the wrong approach, wrong size screw or something. More surgery. In the meantime the foot atrophied. After that ? Obviously I don't really know but this came from a usually reliable non-university source who is in the building a lot. So he is now academically a junior???
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Strange. Seems like the most common basketball injury these days is the Jones fracture of the 5th metatarsal with screw placement (CJ, Ben Simmons, Zhaire Smith, Durant, etc). That is usually 6-8 weeks non-weight bearing/boot and say, twice that in rehab after cast off. 3-4 months total. Even if super super conservative, like Simmons, it is a year off. CJ rebroke his after the Lehigh fracture, as a rookie, and probably missed a year total between 2 injuries. Obviously, Lieb may have had something very different, but at this length of time out, he must have had numerous complications. Even if screw placed, then hardware removed, and more hardware placed, or re-fracture you would think 2-3 years would be plenty of time for healing and rehab. Maybe he is having a chronic problem of stress fractures in the foot. Every time he was non-weight bearing you would get some atrophy (can happen quickly) but something must have gone very wrong with him. Although, big men and feet can be very problematic. Don't think we can really count on him, after this length of time. Shame. We haven't had a great track record with big men and injuries (McCarthy, Sedore, Lieb).
Travis23

Post by Travis23 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:47 pm

Good feeling the season is right around the corner. This could be our deepest team in a few years. Hopefully porter issue isn’t anything major. I haven’t heard anything on jack. I was hoping there would be talk that he might be ready this year. I feel bad for the kid. Wonder how far away he is from recovery and what exactly happened. Does he have nerve damage. The fact that he is on roster still and coming out makes me think possibly he might make a return. Who knows. Any word on sedore. I heard a rumor or two he wasn’t playing. Any truth.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:45 pm

Sedore no longer appears on the roster. ACL tear freshman year then a re-rupture as a sophomore. Guess it was too much to come back from, although he got a little run last year. Tough career. See pickinsplinters article about him.
Travis23

Post by Travis23 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:35 pm

I know he suffered a concussion last year to
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:27 pm

TMH wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:20 pm Porter is rehabbing a shoulder. I have no idea of availability.

Blue Ribbon yearbook came out the other day. Based on their interview with Reed, they report that Porter will miss the early part of the season due to shoulder surgery, but is expected back for the league games.