OOC Slate of Games

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
lehigh90

OOC Slate of Games

Post by lehigh90 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 pm

I see Lehigh at 5-6 on the OOC. If we bust .500 I will be happy.

Losses at Monmouth, Miami, WVU, K State. Think those are the definites.

Also think we lose at Yale and MSM. Win rest.

StablerBum

Re: OOC Slate of Games

Post by StablerBum » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am

lehigh90 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 pm I see Lehigh at 5-6 on the OOC. If we bust .500 I will be happy.

Losses at Monmouth, Miami, WVU, K State. Think those are the definites.

Also think we lose at Yale and MSM. Win rest.
I wouldn't put Monmouth in a definite or even likely loss category. They were middling last year (despite winning in Stabler), and are expected to be a middle of the pack MAAC team again this year. The Power 5 road games are always tough, and I expect Yale and Princeton to both be very good. Winning either of those would be an accomplishment. St. Francis returns 5 starters from an 18 win team, and is picked to win the NEC.

Siena will be transitioning to a new coach and a new playing style, but Jamion Christian is really good and could have them improved year 1. More likely they make a jump next year I think. Marist and MSM will similarly be in in the first year of new regimes, and both are expected to be poor. Arkansas State should be improved and have some talent.

I agree that 5 wins would be pretty impressive, with hopefully 3 coming from MSM, Marist, Monmouth, and Siena plus sneaking 2-3 from the other 7. A winning OOC record would be a very positive sign and should be the goal.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Monmouth definitely winnable, but always a tough spot to open on the road. Although, we won at Marist last season in the opener.

The fortunate thing on the schedule is we get 3 the of the weaklings in the MAAC. Also, get Princeton and Ark St in Stabler, which, i think, makes those winnable.

Obviously, 3 baked in losses vs Power 5.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:58 pm

Come on guys, this Board is dead. Where are all the usual suspects? Time to talk some hoops. Football season is over. We hit the hardwood in about 3 weeks.

Andree home game at Monmouth. He could drop 30.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:29 am

Its tough to talk about much when we get virtually no news on the team from the athletic department or its pr department. The last bit of info was 9/28 advising that it was the first day of practice. We already knew that. At least get some quotes from Reed on how the new guys look. Even if its the usual coachspeak. Or more importantly is there any time line on Lieb?

I sound grumpy. Maybe I've read too much of the football threads. As mentioned above, football is over for this year.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 am

As I think about the season, I think our success is going to ride on the backs of two guys, Tejada and Andree. Their upside is First Team PL, but both have struggled to perform night in and night out. I want to see both get 30 minutes a night and lead the team in shots taken. They both excel at the 3 point shot, which is what basketball is about these days. Both can be 40+% shooters from distance. They both should be high teen scorers.

If this team going to have a big run, I think Reed needs to find a rotation early on and get guys comfortable in their roles. Is Cohen going to be primarily ball handler? If so, keep Tejada off the ball. As I’ve said before, I like Tejada more than Cohen and I wouldn’t mind Tejada in a lead guard spot, on the ball, dominating it, like a Russell Westbrook. But, don’t see Reed going that way. He’s likely going to play him as a 2 and backup 1. That is going to severely limit Leufroy, I would think. I like Leufroy, but his role really dropped last year.

Andree going to play away from the basket, whether you call him a 3 or 4. He needs consistent minutes and shots. If he is confident, he will score. The roles of Wilson/Bennett need to be figured out. Are those guys starters? Are they splitting a spot? Then figure out how to split up big man minutes. Karnak, Lynch, Lieb?, Porter, and J Wilson. The quicker these roles get solidified, the better. I’d like to see a fairly set rotation long before OOC games end. This team always struggles early then puts it together late. I’d like to see a quicker start and I think the HC needs to get the roles set early.
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 am

Appreciate the posts '90 - I'm excited to talk some hoops! A few thoughts of mine.

- Don't think we should have any expectations for Lieb. Hasn't played for Lehigh and has missed 3 full seasons in his last 4 dating back to high school and prep school
- Porter is a useful depth piece, and I hope he is able to come back sooner rather than later
- I prefer Cohen at the 1 and Tejada off the ball to start the game. I think Tejada is at his best when he is focused on putting the ball in the hoop and less concerned about running the team
- What excites me about the wing spot is that for the first time in years (3? 5?) there are some options that present different looks - Bennett and J. Wilson add more length and athleticism than Lehigh has seen in a long time, while Tejada, Luefroy, and M. Wilson are all very capable scorers and shooters. Getting those guys in the right match-ups is a great problem to have.
- In years past, Lehigh has been sometimes brutally undermanned from a size and athleticism perspective. With 6'6 guys in the post and 6'1 guys on the wing and only going 7 or 8 scholarship players deep. This year, if Reed wanted to roll out a line-up of Cohen/Tejada, Bennett, J. Wilson, Andree, and Karnik/Lynch that would be legitimate D1 size and athleticism across the board. Or even slide Andree to the three and put Karnik at the 4 if getting killed on the glass.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:41 am

Will Doc actually put Karnik and Lynch on the floor at the same time? The better option for rebounding and depth may be Porter with either of them.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:32 pm

I hope to see him at least try them together, with Lynch at 5 and Karnik at the 4. You might need their size in the Power 5 games, and may be a good time to see if they can play together. I think Lynch is going to get minutes, and quite a bit of them.
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:12 pm

RichH wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:41 am Will Doc actually put Karnik and Lynch on the floor at the same time? The better option for rebounding and depth may be Porter with either of them.
I don't think it will happen much, if at all. I'm just excited that there are two healthy (fingers crossed) scholarship big men on the roster for the first time in 6 seasons. I don't think Lehigh has had a backup center since Maneri was behind Knutson in 2012.