Princeton

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
lehigh90

Princeton

Post by lehigh90 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Hideous first half. Shot terribly, but leading.

I’ve been preaching the gospel of Lynch. He clearly should be a starter.

lehigh90

Re: Princeton

Post by lehigh90 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:42 pm

Nice win. Got hot in early second half.

Lynch 16 and 9.
Karnik 0 and 0, 5 fouls.

Time to move young Mr. Lynch into the starting lineup.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:44 pm

Game wasnt that close. Tigers had noone to contest Lynch. Dominant inside.LU called it a double-double for him.
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:41 pm

This team has my attention. Back to back wins against Marist and Princeton are good mid-major wins (though maybe the win against Monmouth wasn't a season-maker). And has there ever been a Lehigh team with this depth? I can't recall one.
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:47 pm

I was at the game tonight, and took advantage of the $1 ticket offer for having a Lehigh/Lafayette football ticket. Lehigh's defense, both inside and outside, was excellent throughout the game and was the primary reason they won. Yeah, Princeton missed some shots, but they also had to put up a lot of tough, contested shots. Lehigh will be a tough team to play if they play defense like they did tonight.

Lynch had a fine game and showed great effort on both ends of the floor; the big thing he needs to work on is passing back out to the shooters when he's in a post-up position and doesn't have a high percentage shot opportunity. A number of other guys, particularly Tejada and Leufroy, also played key roles.

Good win for the Mountain Hawks.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:57 pm

Ditto to all of the above. This is some of the best team defense in years from a Lehigh team. To go with very balanced scoring and rebounding. 49 to 37 us on the boards. As to big Nic, I am also a fan:

He's got better hands than Kempton. He seems as athletic, or maybe more athletic than Kempton. And he seems more natural offensively around the basket. I'm not saying he's as good as Kempton. But I think he has the potential to be better than Tim. Maybe a lot better.

Coach needs to keep James interested for when foul trouble sets in, but I don't know how Brett can NOT start Nic soon, if not next game against Siena.

For any others who attended tonight, was the officiating really that bad, or was that just the officiating response to a real rock fight under the glass? Play seemed really rough and tumble in the paint tonight. 40 fouls called between the two combatants.
van

Post by van » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 am

not to be overlooked in this conversation, frosh JW is contributing nicely
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Agree that Lynch is has been very productive thus far and is an exciting prospect. I don't think there is an issue with him not starting though as he is already playing more minutes than Karnik. The bigger issue is that Karnik is not playing to his potential.

We know from last season that he can play and be productive at this level. I think the question for Reed to figure out is how he can maximize the production from the 5 spot between those two. Will coming off the bench reduce pressure on Karnik and get him back to his form last season? Or will it hurt his confidence, which may be the issue for him right now in the first place? The actual starting lineup is irrelevant compared to minutes distribution and maximizing production.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:36 pm

I agree that minutes distribution is the ultimate question, but Lynch has had to get minutes because Karnik constantly in foul trouble. Both, commit a ton of fouls.

I think this is an interesting dilemma for Reed and brings up one of the major issues of the modern day college athlete. Transferring has become a critical area in today’s college game. And, Lehigh has been hit hard over the last several years with transfers. We’ve lost many more than we have gained. For a player like Karnik (soph who started and played well as a frosh) to be moved behind a freshman, who you may not beat out the rest of your college career, it creates a bit of an issue. For Lynch, who is starring early, to sit behind a lesser player, it also could create an issue. Perhaps, he thinks he deserves to start and could move somewhere else to star. The head coach has to massage the egos of his players these days, or they simply transfer. So, I’m eager to see how he manages this situation.

I’m certainly not saying that either is leaving Lehigh, but these things all need to be considered by the current college HC. If I was HC, I would also be trying to figure out how to put some fans and students in the seats. No kids want to play in front of empty seats. Attendance looked dismal on feed last night. Looked like 100 men in their 70’s with a lot of gray and white hair in the arena and nobody else. Of course, no offense to the 10-15 on here who truly follow the program on a game to game basis.
Travis23

Post by Travis23 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:15 pm

The attendence has been an issue for years. Kids just don’t come out. Unless it laf game or playoffs. Even then not impressed. Sad. Marketing needs to do something to get more people in the seats Nic looked very good the other night. Like how we are playing right now