Pre-Exams Hoops Discussion

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
StablerBum

Pre-Exams Hoops Discussion

Post by StablerBum » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:55 am

As the squad takes its annual break for exams, thought it would be a good time to discuss how the team has looked through 9 games of the OOC season.
  • Kyle Leufroy has been an absolute stud and playing at a 1st Team All-PL Level
  • Lance Tejada still seems to be adjusting to his role, but we know he is capable of more
  • Andree and Cohen have performed to expectations I think, which were quite high for both of them
  • Nic Lynch is ready to contribute, but not necessarily be a focal point. Karnik hasn't been as consistent as you would like, but has been useful. And how nice is it to have two centers for the first time in a decade?!
  • I personally was expecting a larger role for Caleb Bennett as a sophomore, and I still think he is going to make a jump to an impact player at some point. Looks like it might not be until next year
  • No huge standout wins that you wouldn't expect, but no bad losses either. Think this team will finish top 3 in the regular season in the PL and then the tournament is anyone's game

van

Re: Pre-Exams Hoops Discussion

Post by van » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 pm

pretty solid analysis, Caleb seems just a little tentative, reminds me of Kyle early in his career, he has the skills just needs the experience

I would add, J Wilson has impressed as a FR, seems to have a lot of poise and very athletic, and of course M Wilson contributing nicely

would like to see more of Foley, bit of a mystery and when will Ed Porter put on a jersey
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Good question re: Porter. Assuming he comes back in the next couple of weeks, what do folks think his role will be? Hard for me to see him carving out more than 10 or so mpg.
Lehigh65

Post by Lehigh65 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Agree with you guys and wish to dig deeper by the numbers................

What's not to like about a team that ranks 5th in the nation shooting the "3" @ 43.7%?

When we examine the team 9-games played numbers below, there's even more to like in comparative team stats.

Assists: 15.3 to 13.6
Rebounds: 38.2 to 36.7
FG%: .457 to .383
3FG%: .437 to .310

Yet, all is not good when you take into consideration the following.....

Turnovers/Game: 14.2 to opponents' 11.4
Blocks/Game: 1.7 to opponents' 3.9
Points off Turnovers: 12.6 to 15.4

My concern is simply production at the "5." It's early, I know, but I was hoping for more.

JK
One 2-pt basket every 9.5 minutes of court time coupled with 1 pf every 6.5 minutes.
NL
One 2-pt basket every 6.2 minutes to go along with 1 pf every 6.4 minutes.

Thankful there are 20 more games to be contested before the start of March b-ball.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:38 pm

In keeping track of the competition, out Patriot League brethren, Bucknell gave Ohio State all they could handle today on the Big Ten Network. The Buckeyes can't lose often enough for me and the Bison almost got 'um. Navy & Orange had the ball at the end down 2 but couldn't get a good look. Shooter was maybe fouled, but you never get that call in the last second.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:20 pm

jimk72 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:38 pm In keeping track of the competition, out Patriot League brethren, Bucknell gave Ohio State all they could handle today on the Big Ten Network. The Buckeyes can't lose often enough for me and the Bison almost got 'um. Navy & Orange had the ball at the end down 2 but couldn't get a good look. Shooter was maybe fouled, but you never get that call in the last second.
Pretty impressive game by the Bison:

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/12/o ... -half.html
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 pm

In the most recent Lehigh Basketball Instagram post it looks like Ed Porter is going full speed in a scrimmage. Curious to see if he is back on Saturday and what his role might look like.

Have to imagine practices are much more spirited this year with the depth this squad has compared to years past. I would imagine the team would be sharper coming off the exam layoff given that they can scrimmage with intensity against solid competition.