Game 17/6 - Bucknell

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
Travis23

Re: Game 17/6 - Bucknell

Post by Travis23 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:39 pm

Popped on the bison board to see what they are saying. I guess they could care less about the win. Half the members are more worried about Brett being called dr and so on. Lol

Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:52 pm

Travis23 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:39 pm Popped on the bison board to see what they are saying. I guess they could care less about the win. Half the members are more worried about Brett being called dr and so on. Lol

Huh???? There are 42 posts about the game and a small handful about Brett Reed needing to be called Doctor.
Travis23

Post by Travis23 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Lol true. I just thought it was very comical i was just reading comments about the game and then that started. No hard feelings. You guys are the better team right now. Need to steal one down there next month.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Just my take from one game.
Bucknell controls the paint. Their bigs are athletic and know how to use their body to create space.
Lehigh has the better perimeter game. Bucknell played tight on the outside and the guards tried to use that to create dribble penetration. Sometimes it worked. Other times not so much.
The difference in the game to me was Lehigh shooting 44% from the FT line in the 2nd half. Boy, did that come back to haunt them.
It was an outstanding game. I don't remember either team having more than a 6 point lead. I hate to lose any game but I'd rather do this is January instead of March.
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:18 pm

TMH wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:09 pm It was an outstanding game. I don't remember either team having more than a 6 point lead. I hate to lose any game but I'd rather do this is January instead of March.
Agree it is better to lose in January instead of March. Part of why this one grates me is that I feel pretty strongly Lehigh has the more talented roster and was at home. There were a few times Lehigh had a 5 or 6 point lead and gave up an offensive rebound or open 3. Just a bit more toughness to get a couple of those stops and extend the lead to 8 or so, and I don't think they lose. Will be harder to beat Bucknell on the road, in the regular season or the tournament.
Mhawk37

Post by Mhawk37 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:29 pm

Stablerbum- it’s ironic because I think we largely agree on this game. You look at the defense and rebounds and I think of a couple of bad offensive possessions where we got away from what we were doing and went solo. I don’t think our points are mutually exclusive. If each of us got our way we’d win by 15!
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:58 pm

Mhawk37 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:29 pm Stablerbum- it’s ironic because I think we largely agree on this game. You look at the defense and rebounds and I think of a couple of bad offensive possessions where we got away from what we were doing and went solo. I don’t think our points are mutually exclusive. If each of us got our way we’d win by 15!
Agree!!
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:44 am

Mhawk37 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:31 pm I was too blunt in saying rebounding isn’t an issue (it will be and has been against good opponents with legit frontlines). I just think it won’t be what ultimately does this team in. There aren’t a ton of big teams in this league and this team has more than enough talent to beat teams by being efficient and overcoming their size deficit. It often does for stretches of games and then the decision making, in my opinion, gets very selfish (see the 16 point collapse against American, the blown ten point lead against HC late and even the MSM game as examples). We play well and the right way for small stretches and the second we get any sort of lead guys start thinking about their stats.
+1

BTW: (I didn't watch this game. Sounds like there were lots of assists.) I've run into a few OLDER (55+) ex-NBA and major college players the past couple of years. I always ask what the biggest change in the game is from their playing days (even in high school). I now can predict the answer accurately: Selfish play. Guys force shots to get on ESPN and build stats as opposed to having the patience to work around and get the open shot. In the old days, coaches would have sat them for not being selfless, they claim.
Last edited by Sundayamqb on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:46 am

Bison_137 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:40 pm With the balance in the league this year, I will be stunned if both Bucknell and Lehigh don't each lose a few more games. I think 14-4 would be good enough to win the league outright.
Agreed!
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:38 am

Just read the post game story on Lehighsports.com. In the quote from "don't call me doctor!" Brett Reed, he mostly agreed with this boards observations: killers were Bison 2nd chance points in the paint and occasional lapses of focus that gave them open looks or easy transition. In a great close game. The little things that lose games to a very good team.

ps: foul shooting didn't help either!