Kutztown

We ain't rebuilding anymore. But we need a little more to take the next step.
TMH

Kutztown

Post by TMH » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Game #1 is in the books. Lehigh with a convincing 73-39 win. I'm not sure what to take away from a game like this.
Emma Grothaus certainly showed signs of being the real deal with 13 points, 11 rebounds in 17 minutes. Lehigh dominated the boards with 19 OR. Outside shooting and FT shooting needs to improve.

Central Connecticut St. on Saturday may be a bigger test.

RichH

Re: Kutztown

Post by RichH » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Good start for the ladies. 14 played tonite
Ben

Post by Ben » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:57 am

Exactly. Not much to take away after the Lehigh Midwest Hawks' first game.
Kutztown: 2 kids barely 6'0' tall. Lehigh: 9 of them. Still, no inside game. Once again a perimeter-oriented team composed of individuals with great skills but still thinking of themselves as high-school superstar players. They need to collectively work as a team.
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 am

You obviously have an axe to grind but I don't understand this critique at all. The game has changed at every level and both genders. Coaches have concluded that a 3 pt shot at 40% is equivalent to a contested layup at 60%. With that being said only about 1/3 of the shots taken were from 3 point range in this game which I suspect will be way below the NCAA average. This team doesn't have great finishers although Grothaus (ESPN Top 100 Recruit) may solve that issue. For this team to be successful, they need to limit turnovers. From my observations, most come from trying to force something inside that's not there.
This game is also one data point but if I had any concerns it's that outside Pascoe, we may not have any true sharpshooter from the outside. Foul shooting was also terrible but it's the first game so let's see how we progress.
This was the type of game that we would have made close in the past so personally I'm ecstatic about the outcome.