Transfer portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Justafan

Re: Transfer portal

Post by Justafan » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

George Porgie wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm
Justafan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:42 pm Yes, it's him. He was always sort of an enigma. An absolute stud in HS but also the consummate tweener. He did his wresting at 220 but at the time was rumored to go 197 based on the Pan Am games I think. By now, he is too big for 197 and likely too small for 285 but who knows.

Does anyone know exactly how hard we chase transfers. I believe Beard came to us first. I don't remember Samuelson nor Mays showing up on the portal and certainly not in any discussion until they arrived. I always thought that the lure was the academics and wrestling was a means to that end.

Just my opinion.

The combination of wrestling and academics is what we have to offer. I wouldn't come here to solely be a Gold medal Olympian. While possible, the big things about Lehigh are alumni interest, quality education and participation in a high level collegiate wrestling program. That's how we approach music students. You can get a great education while participating in a music program that rivals many conservatories, maybe not Julliard or Curtis, but when you graduate you can get a job.
+1

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

IMO, he staff was proactive in finding NIL money for Ryan Crookham. And the Historic Hotel Bethlehem was wise to step forward. Win-win.

The transfer portal and NIL are connected in that neither is a marker for Lehigh for the uber elites. LU struck gold with Crookham. Beard was previously recruited, and Stanich wasn't uber elite, but turned in an uber elite NCAA perfomance nonetheless. Taylor has been groomed and is blossoming. That's 40% of next year's team, or 30% if Stanich defers.

So who steps up and make an impact at the NCAA level? We have just seen that high EIWA success, even with the Ivies, does not translate to NCAA success -- which is unforgiving. You're either top 8, or you're not.

The only guy who has a shot, IMO, is Sheldon Seymour. He has the experience and the strength to compete at that level. Honestly, right now, today, there is no one else at that level. Perhaps a few will develop to that level -- we all hope so. There's several quality guys who could be really solid D1 college wrestlers. The reason I say Seymour is he is good on his feet and he's strong. Anyone aspiring to NCAA success has to have both; not one or the other -- both. No gray area on that. The top game only works, if the other two are there. And of course, you have to get off bottom at least once.
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Well...the top portal prospect took all of 2 days to disappear, Dean Hamiti.
165 Caleb Fish ranked #16 is a graduating business major. Plenty of option is COB. He would be an upgrade over Mays.
157 Chase Saldate was a premier recruit out of CA. Less of priority with Max, who I expect to wrestle his final year and not redshirt.

The portal cannot be ignored. It is a tool to improve a team and improve a points in a weight class and for NCAA. Gives a college grad to come to Lehigh for graduate school for a year, complete that degree and be more marketable in the workplace.

If all these weightclasses already had the horses, I also would say go organic, but we do not and it has been now for 2-3 years for some of them. Time for coaches to use tools available and find graduate transfers. If there is a rare undergrad transfer who wants to come, that is good, but that route is tough at Lehigh, then accept very few Sophomore transfers and near none for Junior transfers.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:02 pm

HFO wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm Well...the top portal prospect took all of 2 days to disappear, Dean Hamiti.
165 Caleb Fish ranked #16 is a graduating business major. Plenty of option is COB. He would be an upgrade over Mays.
157 Chase Saldate was a premier recruit out of CA. Less of priority with Max, who I expect to wrestle his final year and not redshirt.

The portal cannot be ignored. It is a tool to improve a team and improve a points in a weight class and for NCAA. Gives a college grad to come to Lehigh for graduate school for a year, complete that degree and be more marketable in the workplace.

If all these weightclasses already had the horses, I also would say go organic, but we do not and it has been now for 2-3 years for some of them. Time for coaches to use tools available and find graduate transfers. If there is a rare undergrad transfer who wants to come, that is good, but that route is tough at Lehigh, then accept very few Sophomore transfers and near none for Junior transfers.
Saldate is gone. Going to Michigan.

Remaining "Best' available for LEHGH.

Athlete 2024-25 Year Weight Entered Portal Transferring From
Sammy Alvarez Graduate 149 25-Mar Oklahoma State
Jason Kraisser Graduate 157 25-Mar Iowa State
Brock McMillen Junior 157 20-Mar Pitt
Caleb Fish Graduate 165 27-Mar Michigan State
Carson Miller Freshman 165 27-Mar Pitt
Brock Delsignore Junior 184 20-Mar NC State
Connor Strong Senior 184 20-Mar Penn

Carson Miller is son of former Nazareth wrestler and Wilkes NCAA qualifier Ron Miller who died young. Former VA State Champion. Ron had 2 other younger sons behind Carson. Ron's brother was 2x State Champion Mike Miller of Nazareth and NCAA Qualifer for Clemson.

https://www.chinnbakerfuneralservice.co ... ald-miller
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:27 am

Hearing there is movement from the Ferrari family to bring the boys the the Lehigh Valley. Think of the weight classes we could fill. Apparently they need checks to be written so get out your wallets. Mr Fast Twitch seems like the perfect fit here.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:56 am

Mountain Hawk wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:27 am Hearing there is movement from the Ferrari family to bring the boys the the Lehigh Valley. Think of the weight classes we could fill. Apparently they need checks to be written so get out your wallets. Mr Fast Twitch seems like the perfect fit here.
The Kid

Post by The Kid » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:25 am

Is the check in the mail?
legger

Post by legger » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:26 am

Mountain Hawk wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:27 am Hearing there is movement from the Ferrari family to bring the boys the the Lehigh Valley. Think of the weight classes we could fill. Apparently they need checks to be written so get out your wallets. Mr Fast Twitch seems like the perfect fit here.
**** Are you telling the truth or is this a Red Herring just to stir up the board? Like you I too live in reality. If you are telling the truth, the question that comes to mind is as good as the Ferraris may be are they worth the collateral damage associated with their history and trying to deal with their father? If checks are required, they probably would be large and unless things have changed at Lehigh, I am not aware of a deep NIL bank account currently.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:33 am

Personally i think this information is perfectly viable and it makes all the sense in the world. Strong Italian-American population in Bethlehem and some of the best lawyers in the nation, some of whom have been looking for an NIL beneficiary. This confirms a rumor I heard that AJ senior has been seen on campus sitting in on some classes and saying he is a new student. I say let's give them a shot - whatever happened to second chances?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:52 am

you mean 3rd or 4th chances? no thanks......