EIWA Tournament

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
ngineer

EIWA Tournament

Post by ngineer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:24 pm

Preliminary seeds have Preisch at #3 behind Dean and DePrez, which is a bit disappointing, but should not have a significant effect on outcome of bracket. If you are the best, beat 'em. Jakobsen will be going at 197 and assuming a 'clean bill of health', could really be a surprise at #7 seed. He's had several weeks to rest up and could be 'fresher' than others, plus he should have a chip on his shoulder about not getting into the tournament last year with something to prove. We will need a few to wrestle above expectations to knock off the Red Menace this year. While we will likely have one more seeded wrestler, Cornell has more higher seeds. Should come down to us and Cornell, with Army and Princeton battling for 3rd. I am looking for Wolf and Humphreys to possibly give us an unexpected boost, a well. Off to Binghamton!!

ngineer

Re: EIWA Tournament

Post by ngineer » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:05 pm

ngineer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:24 pm Preliminary seeds have Preisch at #3 behind Dean and DePrez, which is a bit disappointing, but should not have a significant effect on outcome of bracket. If you are the best, beat 'em. Jakobsen will be going at 197 and assuming a 'clean bill of health', could really be a surprise at #7 seed. He's had several weeks to rest up and could be 'fresher' than others, plus he should have a chip on his shoulder about not getting into the tournament last year with something to prove. We will need a few to wrestle above expectations to knock off the Red Menace this year. While we will likely have one more seeded wrestler, Cornell has more higher seeds. Should come down to us and Cornell, with Army and Princeton battling for 3rd. I am looking for Wolf and Humphreys to possibly give us an unexpected boost, a well. Off to Binghamton!!
I feel like a soothsayer! What a fantastic tournament. For this team to come back from such a dreadful start this season and win the EIWA is tremendous. These guys did not quit and kept plugging and getting better. The "backups' took on the challenge. Humphreys is going to be very special. Besides winning 157, he wins the Sheridan Award. Not sure the last time a true freshman did that.Jake finished 5th and is getting stronger, and Wolf was his usual unconventional self that drives you nuts at times, but he is always looking to score from whatever postion. I think our best shot at a finalist, though dependent on seeding, is Wood at 285. If seeded 4th he could get Steveson, though that change due to the Big 10 outcome. Kutler and Preisch should get on the podium, but high will be tricky. How many points can be generated by the non-place winners will likely determine if we can crack the top 10. Humphreys, again, could be a big surprise with points--especially some bonus. Currently sending 8, although an outside shot at Pomrinca getting a WC.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:31 pm

I think Mark Lieberman won the Sheridan as a True frosh, (with four falls) He redshirted his second year.

Wood is fourth seed, White is first, I think he has a better shot against him than Stevson or Casar), Although none of the other likely 3 will be walkovers.

Pomrinca doesn't get a wildcard, The guy who beat him in the consi semi's does. And the guy who beat him for the fifth is the weight's alternate.

l
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Yes, I thought it would be a long shot. Those losses were extremely close and two in OT. He's got one more year, yet, and hopefully learns to acquire an 'attack mode'. He certainly has strength for his class, and good moves, but does not seem to have a attack instinct, and wastes a lot of time standing there thinking. Nice kid that I'd like to see really succeed.