wrestle offs

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
van

wrestle offs

Post by van » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:21 am

4 days until wrestle offs, no news to speak of, cone of silence in full effect I guess

RichH

Re: wrestle offs

Post by RichH » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:10 am

Yup. Not having WrestlngReport up removes the best source of scuttlebutt. :(
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:46 pm

I am expecting some very close competition in our light weights. If Paetzel can get down and hold without losing stamina/strength, then he should be a lock and, imo, AA worthy. If not, he goes 133 and Reznick and Lane fight it out. Reznick showed a lot of promise last February-March. Farro can be "the man" at 133, but he's been unreliable on weight control, which to me spells trouble. Gotta be disciplined and if he's not, then, he really doesn't want it. 141 will be a food fight. Pomrinca returns, but with what kind of mental approach. Most inactive wrestler I can recall in recent times, for a light weight; yet, he has excellent strength and moves. Doesn't seem to have the confidence to initiate. I think Moran is capable of beating him, but we shall see. Karam back and healthy at 149 but is he improved on his feet? Hoffman seems quite capable of knocking him off if Jody's not ready. 157--no brainer with Humphreys; 165 could also be a free-for-all with Kent Lane and Chase Gallik, if Chase can get down there. I am expecting a Red Shirt for Ruth, but who knows? 174-285 are all locked in with Kutler, Weiler, Jakobsen and Wood. Only question lingering is Jake's status from his 'blackout' incidents from last year. They seemed to have dissipated or disappeared, but something that could recur. Only real backup at 197 is Andy McDonald, unless one of the backups at 184 jumps up.

Assuming full health, this lineup has the potential of 7 AA's and most ,if not all, placing at EIWA.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:53 am

Santoro and staff take zero initiative to communicate to fans. Cornell, Minnesota, Ohio State, PSU, Iowa, Rutgers to name a few all provide regular fan updates.

Meanwhile Lehigh attendance declines every year.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:59 am

mookie wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:53 am Santoro and staff take zero initiative to communicate to fans. Cornell, Minnesota, Ohio State, PSU, Iowa, Rutgers to name a few all provide regular fan updates.

Meanwhile Lehigh attendance declines every year.
Obviously you are not subscribing to Denny Diehls newsletter. He Sent out his wrestle-offs preview newsletter yesterday. DennyDiehl@aol.com some of the is usually encapsulated in the Booster club website.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:40 am

Rob Koll (Cornell), Scott Goodale (Rutgers), Brandon Eggum (Minnesota), John Smith (Ok.St.) send out their unvarnished overviews no charge. Fans want to hear from coaches not just some pay service.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:03 pm

AGREE!
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Richb,
Did I miss something? Did Denny's newsletter give the lineup for wrestleoffs? I only remember a listing of who will be competing for Lehigh by weight class.

My complaint is that wrestle-offs have now become a mandatory fundraiser much like pre-season games in football at about the same price as an in season match. It may be nostalgic but wrestle-offs were a big deal when I was in school and it really got everyone ready for the season. Not so much now.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Usually the day before the event DRD comes up with an actual list of bouts. Then they day of, inside speculation one or two of the maybe 14 bouts is eliminated. Then one or two disappear at the start of the event. For what is worth, Denny's list seems to exclude about 10 guys not likely to compete. So I might like to see a new guy like Haubert or if HammerMan doesn't return (yet?) I know not to be upset.