wrestle offs

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
RichH

Re: wrestle offs

Post by RichH » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Onto to Princeton Open and the Journeyman before season.

van

Post by van » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:38 am

video highlights and coaches comments on lehigh wrestling facebook page for those interested
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:51 am

Actually the entire wrestle off is available for view on facebook live at Lehigh's Wrestling homepage.....apparently it was streamed live on this format last nite after we were told there would be NO video just audio.....is our sports information department just daft?? Would have been nice to know BEFORE this morning......
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Although I liked the lineup for wrestle-offs this year, they are generally boring. It appears that the fan base, including me likes to have a rooting interest and the familiarity is so great that the action in general is limited.
From the very limited evidence so far, this year's team may resemble last year's in that the 2nd half of the lineup will be far more aggressive than the 1st 4 weight classes.
We will learn far more at the Princeton Tournament. I would be very surprised if any true frosh are in the lineup this year although I suspect that may be more than ready after their red shirt season.

This is only just my opinion however.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:12 pm

133, 141, 149 and 165 are going to be very interesting over the next few weeks.

None of the freshman dominated there opponent by score (and thats all I can go by at least till tonite when I scout the facebook page), so I would guess they all will be red shirting barring the return of the injury bug.

Wonder how Meyer and Ruth do in "the room". Honestly was hoping Gallik would win out that spot, fun guy to watch and dangerous in a Gordon Wolf kind of way.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Wolfman's still around. There are some comments on the streaming of the Intrasquad meet on facebook and one is by Wolfman in which he says that he heard that Scott Parker has been granted another year of eligibility. :D . Another by Ed Ruth rooting for his brother.

I think 125 may also be competitive. Polito and Paetzell have similar high school resumes and while the latter has much more D1 experience at this point, I wouldn't rule Polito out. In the NJ final two years ago he gave a very competitive bout to Robbie Howard who's still in high school, I believe, but was a big star even back then.
van

Post by van » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:12 pm 133, 141, 149 and 165 are going to be very interesting over the next few weeks.

None of the freshman dominated there opponent by score (and thats all I can go by at least till tonite when I scout the facebook page), so I would guess they all will be red shirting barring the return of the injury bug.

Wonder how Meyer and Ruth do in "the room". Honestly was hoping Gallik would win out that spot, fun guy to watch and dangerous in a Gordon Wolf kind of way.
was very impressed with Hines, just needs a little D1 horsepower to go with his quickness and skills, he will get that in time
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:56 pm

I just found out this forum exists -- TheMat.com's good for something after all.

Richie Lewis has retired; is no longer affiliated with the LVWC.

Dan Moran limped off the mat during practice one day last week (I was there). Nothing extremely major but evidently enough to keep him out of wrestle-offs.

For the LWC members amongst you, the 2019-20 Fall Mat Wrap closed today and is headed for the printer. We had two late changes -- at this time Lehigh will only be wrestling three duals at South Beach since Oklahoma withdrew; and Mark Lieberman's election to the National Wrestling HOF was announced on Tuesday and we snuck in mention of it.

I don't understand why some have issue with Pat Santoro's communication. He doesn't communicate information regarding injuries or anything else that's now considered to be a violation of a student's privacy. He's interviewed after every broadcast dual meet, he meets with the Wrestling Club at lunches three times a year where he answers questions. If you're going to hold up Rob Koll's newsletters as the gold standard of communication I have to wonder what you've been smoking. They're better than nothing, but you'll notice that the coach tends to talk up wrestlers who are rarely seen outside of their workout room, never discusses why anyone leaves the program, and often projects his wrestlers at weights they haven't made since junior year of high school. If you prefer that to the various information feeds from the Lehigh program, you're welcome.

Coaches frequently won't discuss the reasons why wrestlers leave the program. Good luck getting Navy to explain why Quentin Hovis and Jared Prince aren't on the roster.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:00 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:12 pm Wonder how Meyer and Ruth do in "the room".
Ruth is a good deal bigger. I think Meyer is likely to wrestle 157-165, with Ruth at 174. Ruth looks like he has zero body fat.
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:57 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:56 pm I just found out this forum exists -- TheMat.com's good for something after all.

*** Agree! ***

Coaches frequently won't discuss the reasons why wrestlers leave the program. Good luck getting Navy to explain why Quentin Hovis and Jared Prince aren't on the roster.
Wow. Isn't Jared Prince a Junior or Senior? None of our business, of course, but if no Prince for Navy that's a huge surprise.

I haven't watched all the wrestle-offs on FB yet, but the Freshmen seem like they did really well.