EIWA This Weekend: Nov 1 - Nov 3

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
gimpeltf

Re: EIWA This Weekend: Nov 1 - Nov 3

Post by gimpeltf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:49 pm

TMH wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:11 pm I apologize for being ignorant on this matter but if the merged EWL/MAC was looking for a 16th team wouldn't it be the ideal landing spot for LIU?
Who knows if they were looking for a 16th but the geography makes more sense with EIWA. A fledgling program would have to travel a lot more than they will with the EIWA.

gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:10 pm

As to the seeding issue- I don't know the criteria but to me it would be a negative experience. The NCAAs were pretty much a mess last year trying to do much the same. Stoll was a top 4-5 kid (if done subjectively). He beat the 5th seed (as 28- he was lower and someone dropped out) and then the 12th lost to 4 close. He lost after that but had a miserable draw- although not as bad as they guys he beat.
165- Joe Smith wasn't necessarily a top 5 kid but he also wasn't 33rd which forced him to wrestle Marinelli- number 1.
The fact that there were two fairly obvious mis-seeds at NCAAs doesn't bode well for EIWAs if we are in fact doing the same thing. At least, at NCAAs you can add in data from the conferences. Suppose Yianni starts off with Olympic redshirting and doesn't fare well enough to make the team? He could know all this prior to conferences and come back in second semester. Would he be seeded 17th? It wouldn't hurt him at all. Seeding isn't as much about the person being seeded as much as the guys they wrestle. It can be unfair to the other guys. Seeding should be about giving all the best guys the best chance to make it through and to represent the conference at NCAAs.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:58 pm

But is the EIWA seeding strictly by formula, or would Yianni be seeded #1 simply on being ~60-1 with 2 NCAA titles?

About a decade ago a kid from my school got in trouble for sexting the third weekend of football. In the end, he as not allowed to wrestle, regular season. So he came into sectionals 0-0. seeding for sectionals is, almost, strictly a formula. But challenging is allowed. As he had district and regionals titles, and a sixth and seventh at states, he easily had his way challenged to #1 seed.

So does EIWA allow coaches judgement.

Also remember that, unlike NCAA, were maybe 325 guys have winning records, the candidates for 16-17 seeds are likely to have records like 3-14 or 2-11
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:21 am

Richb-3 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:58 pm But is the EIWA seeding strictly by formula, or would Yianni be seeded #1 simply on being ~60-1 with 2 NCAA titles?

About a decade ago a kid from my school got in trouble for sexting the third weekend of football. In the end, he as not allowed to wrestle, regular season. So he came into sectionals 0-0. seeding for sectionals is, almost, strictly a formula. But challenging is allowed. As he had district and regionals titles, and a sixth and seventh at states, he easily had his way challenged to #1 seed.

Also remember that, unlike NCAA, were maybe 325 guys have winning records, the candidates for 16-17 seeds are likely to have records like 3-14 or 2-11
Prior season results do not count when it comes to seeding.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:28 am

lu_alum wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:21 am
Richb-3 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:58 pm But is the EIWA seeding strictly by formula, or would Yianni be seeded #1 simply on being ~60-1 with 2 NCAA titles?

EIWA seeding is whatever the EIWA coaches decide it is.
I haven't seen the formula (if there was an actually decided one yet). From what I gather the coaches that proposed this weren't going to include last year a la NCAA but I don't think everyone agreed.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:26 am

lu_alum wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:21 am

NCAA does not consider last year results, officially, now. EIWA can, if they want. PIAA, and most states, specifically consider past results, extra points for being a state place winner or beating a state place winner.

Even in NCAA, is there an example where a defending champion X, 20-0. is seeded behind 22-0 Y. When the two have very similar strength of schedule( both gold standard etc) when X is 4-0 against Y the two prior years?
Mattlaubo

Post by Mattlaubo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:49 pm

Does anyone know who Lehigh will be sending for the Princeton Open? Santoro said he would use tournaments to help set the lineup. Farro vs McGonagle, Hines vs Pomrinca, Hoffman vs Karam (although Hoffman looked much better at the wrestle-off and might have earned the spot already.) And whatever we are doing at 165.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Mattlaubo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:49 pm Does anyone know who Lehigh will be sending for the Princeton Open? Santoro said he would use tournaments to help set the lineup. Farro vs McGonagle, Hines vs Pomrinca, Hoffman vs Karam (although Hoffman looked much better at the wrestle-off and might have earned the spot already.) And whatever we are doing at 165.
Supposed to be sending the top kids - unlike previous years.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:59 pm

It is an official date, so likely everyone of sufficient health