For Cheesesteak Lovers

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: For Cheesesteak Lovers

Post by mookie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Ketchup on a hot dog? WTF?

Apparently no less an authority than National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, the official trade association based in Washington, DC, agrees. It has codified the rule in their paper on “Hot Dog Etiquette and everyday guidance for eating America’s sacred food.” There it is in black and white: “Don’t use ketchup on your hot dog after the age of 18.” In their video they add “We all have to grow up sometime”:

jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:47 pm

I don't like others telling me how I should eat my food. Along the way I've been told that the correct way to eat french fries is to put the ketchup directly on the fries instead of alongside them on the plate (in order to make sure that the fries are good and soggy by the time you eat them); that beef should be barely cooked so that there's plenty of pink and some red inside and that blood runs all over; and that you should eat the ice cream off the top of the cone instead of biting the very bottom of the cone off and letting the ice cream melt down. I don't use ketchup on hot dogs but if I want to it's nobody's business but mine.

Along those lines, Andy Van Hellemond (the world's greatest hockey referee) used to put applesauce on everything he ate. Presumably this included hot dogs, cheese steaks, french fries, rare steak, and ice cream. NHL players still stopped fighting when he pulled them apart.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:23 am

mookie wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:40 pm Ketchup on a hot dog? WTF?

Apparently no less an authority than National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, the official trade association based in Washington, DC, agrees. It has codified the rule in their paper on “Hot Dog Etiquette and everyday guidance for eating America’s sacred food.” There it is in black and white: “Don’t use ketchup on your hot dog after the age of 18.” In their video they add “We all have to grow up sometime”:
>>>>>>> I like ketchup on a hot dog. I like ketchup on a lot of things. Occasionally I use mustard on a hot dog if it's Nathan's with sauerkraut. Ketchup, unlike mustard, is it's own food group.
legger

Post by legger » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:44 am

**** The only time I eat hotdogs with a bun is from Potts, (chili, cheese and pickle). Otherwise since I am on KETO, I just microwave them with some cheddar cheese on top.
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Well, I have a few more places to hit for a good cheesesteak that I have not eaten. I like mine with provolone, onions, mushroom, sauce topped with whole poppers (peppers).

I like Jim's in Philly on South Street. Plenty of good options in Delaware Valley region.

Lehigh Valley. Still plenty of good options. Brass Rail (LEHIGH St./Downtown Allentown long gone) not what it once was.

Stahley's Cellarette has a good sandwich. Allentown
Crossroads I still like. Hellertown
Zandy's still one of my favorites. Good Pierogies there. Heck even Mike Scmidtt and Greg Luzinski are on the wall having eaten there. Bicentennial Park opening homerun derby. 1976. Allentown
Carl's. A wrestling standby for those who attend D11 or Regionals at Bethlehem High School.
Vassi's in Hellertown, but tough to compete against Crossroads.
Seward's/Before that John's Steaks is a Union Terrace landmark in Allentown.

Best cheesesteak west of Harrisburg!
Craziest place I had a great cheese steak. Mt. Hood Pizza. Turns out one of the original owners was from South Philly. Really good pizza too.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Best business model I know of. Philadelphia Steaks and Hoagies. It is on the periphery of the capitol complex in Harrisburg. 20,000 Office workers within a mile. When I worked at Dept of Revenue, it was right outside the fire and normal walking exit. They were only open 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM, Monday-Friday (not Holidays) Walk in get in the cheesesteak line or th Hoagie line. Big or little steak. Cheese whiz, Provolone, American, none. Onions or not. Marinara (sort of) sauce or not, Pickles or not. Hot or sweet or both or not. (Maybe mushrooms or not- I never special order fun guys) chips fries neither. Drink. From when you talk to the chef until you walk out maybe 80 seconds. At least 3 people a minute. Hoagies a little slower. Dine in, but most take it back to your desk.

About as good as any other I have encountered. They have a more conventional shop in Mechanicsburg.