Week-End Salvo

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Week-End Salvo

Post by Oracle » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:52 am

Good morning!

My dear friend mookie accuses me of being timid by showing, in his view, too much respect to Cornell. I don't think there is such a thing. Cornell has proven they have a deep room. The so-called toss-up bouts -- 141, 149, 165, 184 will determine who wins this. Baughman, Richard, Dawkins/Merola and, yes, even Loew are all capable of winning. On the flip side, our guys could also take these bouts. The point being: anyone saying this will be a blow-out is just blowing hot air. IMO, there will be no surprise appearances by The ORS Four. Cornell has resigned itself to making a title run next year.

What's really been fun is watching PSU struggle after years of having very little go wrong. Looks like Iowa is primed to win it all this year. They are wrestling really well. They have a harness on DeSanto and it's becoming. Still, I don't see Kemerer beating a healthy Kutler. I also believe that TD against Hall closes the gap and proves to Kutler he can win. Like the 1980 USA hockey team, it just takes one time.

Hoping to see Wood get back on track and dominate a little more. A good week end for him to make a statement.

Looks like Farro is the starter for now. Pomrinca and Karam need to kick it up a gear second semester. Karam, in particular, is playing with house money and should not hold back anything on his feet. Playing grab a$$ from neutral isn't what he wants to do. Take shots and keep taking shots. For what it's worth from my cheap seat.

Big week end for Chris Weiler. Highly ranked Louie DePrez and tough freshman Jonathan Loew. Another opportunity to make some rankings headway. Best to the team.

Have a great week end.

Spladle1989

Re: Week-End Salvo

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:27 am

Interesting probable starters lineup on wrestle notes for weekend.....hoping the reason some backups are listed is they may wrestle friday nite to keep starters healthy for saturday.....especially with backups noted at 125 and 157..........I see those as must wins for LU against Cornell, maybe even bonus wins......

Here's the Probable Starters from the Lehigh Match Notes:

125 No. 6 Brandon Paetzell (Jr., Phillipsburg, N.J.) 8-2 OR Luke Resnick (So., Chester Springs, Pa.) 4-5

133 Nick Farro (Jr., Morristown, N.J.) 7-3 OR Jaret Lane (So., Catawissa, Pa.) 11-5

141 Ryan Pomrinca (Sr., Annandale, N.J.) 6-5 OR Dan Moran (So., Bethlehem, Pa.) 8-2

149 Luke Karam (Jr., Bath, Pa.) 8-2

157 No. 9 Josh Humphreys (So., Parkersburg, W. Va.) 8-4 OR AJ Burkhart (Fr., Athens, Pa.) 6-7

165 Brian Meyer (Fr., Phillipsburg, N.J.) 5-11

174 No. 3 Jordan Kutler (Sr., Sparta, N.J.) 9-1

184 No. 19 Chris Weiler (Jr., Biglerville, Pa.) 9-5

197 No. 20 Jake Jakobsen (Jr., Sciota, Pa.) 8-4

285 No. 11 Jordan Wood (Jr., Gilbertsville, Pa.) 6-4
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:55 am

The only thing I would take issue with is the part about "very little going wrong" for Penn State. Plenty went wrong for Penn State, but they were so strong they were able to overcome it all. If we had as many guys transfer out as they did we'd be screaming about the direction of our program.

I agree about Weiler. DePrez is top 5 and Loew is probably in the 20s. This is a good opportunity to make a statement.

Nick Farro has really taken advantage of the opportunity, IMO. Nothing against Jaret Lane or the other lightweights on our roster, but did anyone think Nick would see a Top 10 ranking this year? That's where Flo has him right now.
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:57 am

Let's get serious now. Losing to Cornell with their depleted line up would be hugely embarrassing for Pat Santoro and as it should be.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:16 am

I really hope Farro has firmly committed to discipline his weight for the next 9 weeks. He has always had the tools to do well. He cannot fall back into a weighted yo-yo. Saps too much energy and strength. He has the ability to be an AA and could really give Lehigh a lot of points come tournament time.
BP-LU87

Post by BP-LU87 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:50 am

Farro matches up pretty well style wise with Tucker and wouldn't be surprised if he pulls an upset here. Thought he had Phillipi beat as well. Will there be a weight allowance for the Cornell match given Bing the night before?
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:16 pm

BP-LU87 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:50 am Farro matches up pretty well style wise with Tucker and wouldn't be surprised if he pulls an upset here. Thought he had Phillipi beat as well. Will there be a weight allowance for the Cornell match given Bing the night before?
I would think that is an affirmative on the allowance.
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 pm

mookie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:57 am Let's get serious now. Losing to Cornell with their depleted line up would be hugely embarrassing for Pat Santoro and as it should be.
>>>>>> In your original post, you made it sound like it would be easy. It won't be. With the ORS Four they would be favorites. Their back-ups are pretty decent. That's the point. Why disrespect an opponent on-line? What's the point ... who can be the most glib?
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:01 pm

Oracle wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 pm Why disrespect an opponent on-line? What's the point ... ?
because Cornell
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:16 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:01 pm
Oracle wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 pm Why disrespect an opponent on-line? What's the point ... ?
because Cornell

>>>>Are you 5 years old? Whoever thinks it's okay is re-living life as an undergraduate. ;-)