Week-End Salvo

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Week-End Salvo

Post by Oracle » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:24 am

Final dual of the year tonight where Lehigh will beat Arizona State to run their winning streak to 11 and finsih the year 12-3. Just think, it very easily could have been 14-1. We've had a tremendously balanced year with numerous guys stepping up to fill-in and getting the job done. In fact, there is so much competition, there will be 2 late season wrestle-offs tomorrow for post season spots at 133 and 141. Fans would be reminded each wrestler has busted their tails. It's not who we like better, or what's fair -- it's about who the best guy is. Sometimes it comes down to 1 bout to find out.

News of Zahid Valencia, a guy with a 120-3 career record, 2 NCAA titles and a 3rd place finish -- has been suspended 'indefinitely' by ASU. How does 'indefinitely' get defined? That' unclear, but probably not lifted in time for tonihght's tilt with Lehigh. That pretty much decides the outcome as it's likely a 7 point swing in an otherwise close 'pick em' dual.

BTW, I personally couldn't care less if a guy smokes weed now and again. Or any so-called recreational drug. PEDs are a different story. Seriously, if someone drinks beer (and almost every one does) or tokes up -- who cares? If they can win while doing things that do not enhance their training, more power to them. Most guys need every edge. Apparently Big Val didn't -- he's that much better than everyone else at 184. IMO, he will be reinstated in time for the Pac 12 qualifier.

It would be unfair not to point out just how good a job coach Santoro and his staff have done preparing this group for the post season. The team appears to be peaking at just the right time. The EIWAs will be a battle even on our home mats. Lehigh, Princeton, Army, Cornell are my top 4. Just about impossible to predict what order they will finish. Should make it great for the fans. Predictions prior to tournament in 2 weeks.

Have a great week end everyone!

Spladle1989

Re: Week-End Salvo

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:43 am

My assumption was weed but seems like every wrestling "source" said it was coke, which is an upper.....going to be interesting to see how all this plays out as Daton Fix supposedly failed the same test? Hard to believe they were just sitting around doing blow, one wonders if they were slipped something or it was in some "clean" supplement they they were taking.......

Either way puts a big dark spot on an otherwise crazy good career.......
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:56 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:43 am My assumption was weed but seems like every wrestling "source" said it was coke, which is an upper.....going to be interesting to see how all this plays out as Daton Fix supposedly failed the same test? Hard to believe they were just sitting around doing blow, one wonders if they were slipped something or it was in some "clean" supplement they they were taking.......

Either way puts a big dark spot on an otherwise crazy good career.......
>>>>>>> Interesting reply. Fueling rumors was not the intent of my post.
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:17 am

Hate to see this happen, regardless of what it was...

Tonight will depend on Jimmy and Jake's health. No point in taking any risks just to try to win this dual, but it would be great if both are good to go.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:22 am

who is our back up 197 at this point if we decide to err on the side of caution at 197? Grape? Shedleski? Or since it's senior night Ammerman?
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:10 pm

I didn't realize it until just now but Jake has wrestled in every dual until now. My guess is that Eli Grape would wrestle if he can't go tonight.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:45 pm

Everyone should be allowed to let their hair down once in a while :D Regardless of why Zahid was suspended, I just hope he is back in time for the NCAA's. He is a very special talent and is fun to watch wrestle.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:50 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:22 am who is our back up 197 at this point if we decide to err on the side of caution at 197? Grape? Shedleski? Or since it's senior night Ammerman?
Gallick?
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:35 am

gimpeltf wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:50 pm
Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:22 am who is our back up 197 at this point if we decide to err on the side of caution at 197? Grape? Shedleski? Or since it's senior night Ammerman?
Gallick?
GALLICK! So much heart last night. Loved watching this kid fight like a Comanche his whole career. He was constantly looking for the big move against Norfleet and seemed close a couple times. Kept it to a decision when it wasn't even needed at that point. Great job Chase!
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:50 am

In this context... sometimes, you win.
(... even when, you lose. ;) )
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.