NCAAs

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

NCAAs

Post by Oracle » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:49 pm

Ok......I will say it: this corona virus scare is total bull-bleep. Over 37,000 people will die from the common flu this year. Why didn't we start this nonsense to combat that? Why weren't students sent home to nest before common flu season? The answer is because it's the flu -- some people catch it, some don't and some die from it if their health and age make them more vulnerable. It's always been this way. Always.

The PC culture has gone over the edge this time. If they cancel NCAAs due to this they will lose me as an attending fan forever. NCAA wrestling is a huge money maker as is March Madness. Hopefully, the line is drawn at profits and snowflakes can decide on other ways to get rid of a President they don't like.

The funny thing is, everyone knows it's bull-bleep but everyone goes along anyway so they can be viewed as extra sensitive. End of rant.
Last edited by Oracle on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whiz wit

Re: NCAAs

Post by whiz wit » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Amen.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:18 pm

Oracle wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:49 pm Ok......I will say it: this corona virus scare is total bull-bleep. Over 37,000 people will die from the common flu this year. Why didn't we start this nonsense to combat that? Why weren't students sent home to nest before common flu season? The answer is because it's the flu -- some people catch it, some don't and some die from it if their health and age make them more vulnerable. It's always been this way. Always.

The PC culture has gone over the edge this time. If they cancel NCAAs due to this they will lose me as an attending fan forever. NCAA wrestling is a huge money maker as is March Madness. Hopefully, the line is drawn at profits and snowflakes can decide on other ways to get rid of a President they don't like.

The funny thing is, everyone knows it's bull-bleep but everyone goes along anyway so they can be viewed as extra sensitive. End of rant.
Stick to subjects you apparently have some insight into. Public health isn't one of those subjects.

Fact 1: covid19's fatality rate is an order of magnitude greater than that of seasonal flu. At least.
Fact 2: we have no herd immunity to this *novel* coronavirus, so many more people will get it than will get the flu.
Fact 3: combine Fact 1 and Fact 2 and your 37,000 number (is that you, President Trump?) will be trivial in comparison.
Fact 4: I'm amazed that all of Europe and much of Asia is taking drastic steps, possibly tanking their individual country's economy, just to take down Trump.
Fact 5: you listen to Trump and Fox News more than is good for you. Try listening to people who actually know what they are talking about. Start here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ssertions/

As for losing you as a fan: don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:09 pm

No fans allowed.

Apples and oranges, my friend. Who says the risk at the specific locales are comparable? And since when do we follow what Europe does?

Double nonsecret amen.
Last edited by whiz wit on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Oracle wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:49 pm Ok......I will say it: this corona virus scare is total bull-bleep. Over 37,000 people will die from the common flu this year. Why didn't we start this nonsense to combat that? Why weren't students sent home to nest before common flu season? The answer is because it's the flu -- some people catch it, some don't and some die from it if their health and age make them more vulnerable. It's always been this way. Always.

A political screed filled with opinion rather than facts. True COVID-19 will be relatively safe for younger relatively adults and children. All of whom can spread the virus. The virus is deadly for those with other health issues and for the elderly with most any health issue.
It is a fact tho that large assemblies, schools are a major source of spread. None of us like the inability to attend and the lack of crowds and cheering but most of us have enough common decency not to put others in danger needlessly. It is a small price to pay. No matter that that it may only 3%. Even 1 death is too high a price for what is for fans an entertainment event. One would have to be totally self-centered to object to these measures. The matches and games will still go on. There will be winners and champions.
BTW, CDC estimate for 2019 thru 2/20 is 16000. The comparison tho is faulty. We have very little concrete numbers yet due to the lack of testing. But, some differences can be ascertained. The fatality numbers for the flu are greatly diminished by the active vaccine program here. There is no vaccine as yet for corona. The infection and fatality rates will be significantly higher.

In any event , why not suck it up Oracle and for this year watch the events on TV or livestream.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:54 pm

Oracle, I do think the reaction is a little over the top. However, to blame it on PC culture is totally off base.

Angela Merkel just stated that up to 70% of the German population could end up being infected by covid-19. 70% of 83 million is 58.1 million. If it has a 3% fatality rate, that is 1.74 million deaths in Germany alone. A country with an excellent health system. I'm sure she didn't make an inflammatory statement like that without a lot of input from people whose job it is to predict these sorts of outbreaks.

By the way, does everyone still think Lehigh's new College of Health, which is focused on population health, is a bad idea? Sounds like it was designed just for this type of research.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:56 pm

The problem is less about the people going as those same people coming back and mingling back home. It's possible most people exposed might not do more than carry without symptoms.
This is a little like the big herpes breakout from the mid-90s. I believe it was largely traced to a camp in the mid-west. I doubt there were thousands in attendance that all caught the disease. But enough did and then came home and spread it causing shutdowns of weeks mid-season.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:03 pm

NCAA just issued a statement that championships will be conducted with only essential staff and selected family members in attendance.
ikeremix

Post by ikeremix » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:30 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:18 pm [quote
Stick to subjects you apparently have some insight into. Public health isn't one of those subjects.

Fact 1: covid19's fatality rate is an order of magnitude greater than that of seasonal flu. At least.
Fact 2: we have no herd immunity to this *novel* coronavirus, so many more people will get it than will get the flu.
Fact 3: combine Fact 1 and Fact 2 and your 37,000 number (is that you, President Trump?) will be trivial in comparison.
Fact 4: I'm amazed that all of Europe and much of Asia is taking drastic steps, possibly tanking their individual country's economy, just to take down Trump.
Fact 5: you listen to Trump and Fox News more than is good for you. Try listening to people who actually know what they are talking about. Start here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ssertions/

As for losing you as a fan: don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
SNOWFLAKE
LU808

Post by LU808 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Dear NothingMeaningful

Per GlobalSecurity.org

Pandemic years are associated with many more cases of influenza and a higher case fatality rate than that seen in seasonal flu outbreaks. It is common to encounter clinical attack rate ranges for seasonal flu of 5% to 15% in the literature. For pandemic flu, clinical attack rates are reported in the range of 25% to 50%.

During a typical year in the United States, 30,000 to 50,000 persons die as a result of influenza viral infection. Frequently cited numbers are 20,000 deaths each year, and 37,000 annual deaths. About 5-10% of hospitalizations for influenza lead to fatal outcome in adults.

Per Johns Hopkins COVID-19 tracking web site. Mortality rate a shade over 3.6% worldwide with most countries reporting less than 2%. including the US.

Who is zooming who?