Extra Year

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
gimpeltf

Re: Extra Year

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:26 am

gimpeltf wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:01 pm I think this is the one. Although not at Stabler (at least I don't recognize that section :D )

Just realized this- Note how Kutler is the smartest one here given how they are holding the sword!

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:37 am

When I work as a Pirate i often have my sword in my teeth, especially thru pictures.

Ok, rubber sword
Mattlaubo

Post by Mattlaubo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Flo has stated, that the extra year seems more and more unlikely.
ikeremix

Post by ikeremix » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:38 pm

Mason Beckman in a Twitter post congratulating Jordan Kutler on an outstanding career provided a little insight into the missed weight at Bucknell's EIWA for JK.

"Only reason he didn’t make weight at EIWA’s was a concussion that prevented him from working out for 2 weeks or more so he got big again. Only had like 5 days to make weight. Got within a pound and almost killed himself trying before Santoro pulled the plug"

If Jordan doesn't get an extra year or doesn't take the year - he'll go down as one of the greats. Thank you JK!
LU808

Post by LU808 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:57 pm

According to college basketball insider Jeff Goodman, the NCAA will vote on whether winter and spring athletes will be granted an extra year of eligibility next Monday, March 30. :?:
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Check it out yourself, so you won't be surprised (if the NCAA allows it) if JK does come back.

His company that hired him has already okayed it.

https://www.wfmz.com/video/jordan-kutle ... 0036a.html
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:40 pm

I can see at the spring sports getting an extra year as they had a full season wiped out. But winter sports were all but done except for the tournaments. Move on. People survived in the past without a trophy.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:22 am

Apologies if I posted this on this forum already but I believe I posted this thought on TheMat.
Wrestling is fairly unique as regards this situation. If you allow Kutler, for example, a 6th year in the normal sense it prevents our other potential 174s from getting their year. So just because it seems they got screwed, by letting the ones that "lost" this year have the year back all the ones that were figuring on wrestling next year "lose" next year instead. So we are just replacing one loss for another.
Team sports could simply spread out playing time during the year and if that team makes the post season all of the kids are eligible and they all share in whatever awards are given. Even Track/Swimming are better off since they allow multiple entries and often the post season is determined by performance so even though there would still be some displacement it wouldn't be as much.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:17 am

It's not just the seniors who lost out. The only "fair" solution would be to allow everyone who qualified for the NCAA tournament (the others already had concluded their seasons) an additional semester or year, and to allow every other wrestler an extra year as well because you don't know who's going to be displaced from the lineup.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:08 am

jdalu75 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:17 am It's not just the seniors who lost out. The only "fair" solution would be to allow everyone who qualified for the NCAA tournament (the others already had concluded their seasons) an additional semester or year, and to allow every other wrestler an extra year as well because you don't know who's going to be displaced from the lineup.
Then what happens the next year- the same thing. It would never stop because somewhere someone else loses.

A friend of mine has a suggestion that would allow the 2020 qualifiers an option that would qualify them for 2021 in addition to the normal 330. It's interesting and addresses the question to some extent. Personally I don't think you'd find that many that would willingly do another year in school and away from a job just for this but you would get some.