Week-End Salvo -Special Early East Coast Edition

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
RichH

Re: Week-End Salvo -Special Early East Coast Edition

Post by RichH » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:31 am

Oracle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:23 am Not so fast.....
NothingMeaningful, aside from a full disclosure handle, is asking a legit question. UPenn *has* recruited well as of late with little to show for it; Artalona in 2019 being the exception. It takes time, sure, but Reina 2.0 hasn't been easy. NothingMeaningful is just a Cornell fan which in and of itself is not a hanging offense.

The purpose of this board is not to have a bunch of guys who "go look it up" it's also about opinions and questions. Sometimes it feels like everyone thinks they're THE expert when in fact there are only a very few of us. :D
+1

jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:49 am

NothingMeaningful, aside from a full disclosure handle, is asking a legit question. UPenn *has* recruited well as of late with little to show for it; Artalona in 2019 being the exception. It takes time, sure, but Reina 2.0 hasn't been easy. NothingMeaningful is just a Cornell fan which in and of itself is not a hanging offense.

The purpose of this board is not to have a bunch of guys who "go look it up" it's also about opinions and questions. Sometimes it feels like everyone thinks they're THE expert when in fact there are only a very few of us. :D
That's your opinion. My opinion is that he's just pushing buttons, posting obvious questions to get someone to take lots of time researching and posting a response to something that he's not really interested in. And when someone does it he wins. Again, it's just my opinion that he's a waste of time.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:24 am

>>>Now there's a meaningful contribution.

>>Do tell how Penn's recruiting have made them competitive in the EIWA. With teams other than American

.........I'm sure you'll dig up a meaningful reply:

2014-- 77- Josh Terao, American
2017-- 88- Eric Hong, American

2017-- 92- Khamari Whimper, Penn
2018-- 27- Anthony Artalona, Penn
2018-- 86- Grant Aronoff,Penn
2019-- 39- Michael Colaiocco, Penn
2019-- 45- Lucas Revano, Penn
2020-- 58- Ryan Miller, Penn
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:49 am

FFS.

Kenneth Lehner, Cornell '80, parent Lehigh 2020. You want my home address or SSN?

Point me to some of these troublesome posts, and I'll see what I can do to improve. The post in question was pretty obvious: claim was made about Penn's recruiting and challenge to the top teams (and we know who they are), so I posted the lack of any real challenge presented by Penn. With rhetorical "flourishes."
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:52 am

jdalu75 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:49 am

That's your opinion. My opinion is that he's just pushing buttons, posting obvious questions to get someone to take lots of time researching and posting a response to something that he's not really interested in. And when someone does it he wins. Again, it's just my opinion that he's a waste of time.
What questions did I ask that even required a response? This post had obviously rhetorical questions. Claim was made, and I presented a reasonable rebuttal.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:56 am

drd5748 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:24 am >>>Now there's a meaningful contribution.

>>Do tell how Penn's recruiting have made them competitive in the EIWA. With teams other than American

.........I'm sure you'll dig up a meaningful reply:

2014-- 77- Josh Terao, American
2017-- 88- Eric Hong, American

2017-- 92- Khamari Whimper, Penn
2018-- 27- Anthony Artalona, Penn
2018-- 86- Grant Aronoff,Penn
2019-- 39- Michael Colaiocco, Penn
2019-- 45- Lucas Revano, Penn
2020-- 58- Ryan Miller, Penn
The explicit point was that Penn's recruiting has not made them competitive in the EIWA, not that their recruiting is competitive. They tied with American at this past EIWA tournament, hence my comparison. I have no idea, nor do I care, about the level of American's recruiting.

I'll assume you just misread what I posted, and not ascribe hostility.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:06 pm

I suppose that is the point drd.

Penn's recruiting has certainly improved over the last few years but thus far theyhave been pretty non-competitive in the EIWA finishing anywhere from 8th to 12th over the last 4 years in a conference that is certainly not 8 deep with quality.
That of course does not dictate future performance but his point is valid to date.

Princeton is another school that intrigues me. Over the last few years they have certainly brought into quite a few wrestlers that fall in the "whale" category and although they are thoroughly in the mix for #3 in the EIWA, I haven't yet seen the push for top 2 that I thought I would.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:49 pm

Princeton was 3rd three years in a row, 2017-19; in 2017 they were 4.5 points behind us for second place. As recently as 2012 Princeton was 12th in a 14-team conference. That was a pretty good push; they've also managed to beat Lehigh in two straight duals for the first time since the mid-1930s. Their problem has been depth; they've recruited a handful of top guys but haven't been able to field a solid team top to bottom. Ayres is probably dealing with a limited admit list that Cornell would sniff at but Harvard would love to have.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:26 pm

TMH wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:06 pm
Penn's recruiting has certainly improved over the last few years but thus far theyhave been pretty non-competitive in the EIWA finishing anywhere from 8th to 12th over the last 4 years in a conference that is certainly not 8 deep with quality.
That of course does not dictate future performance but his point is valid to date.
Regarding Penn's situation, I'll just point out that Rajah inherited a bare cupboard when he returned. His EIWA team in 2018, his first year back, was made up of 2 freshman, 1 soph, 6 seniors; Penn was unable to field an entry at 285. Their four placewinners were seniors.

In 2019 their EIWA team was 6 freshmen, 1 soph, 3 seniors. Only two on the team had wrestled at EIWAs previously and they'd never placed. They managed three placewinners, including one champion, who were all freshmen.

In 2020 their team was 5 freshmen, 4 sophs, and 1 senior. Penn led the conference in late scratches to their entry list, including their best guy, Anthony Artalona. Two freshmen and four sophs placed. Their best freshman, Mike Colaiocco, outgrew 125 during the season, struggled to make weight, and went 1-2. If he'd placed Penn would have finished 6th. Had Artalona been available they might have challenged Princeton for 5th.

Penn's incoming class is detailed here: https://pennathletics.com/news/2020/4/6 ... ruits.aspx Their best recruit is Ryan Miller, projected at 125 where they need immediate help. They have seven guys on the roster who have placed at EIWAs and they won't graduate anyone in 2021 that they'll miss.

Just my opinion of course, but I think a blind man could see the progress over the past few years.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:24 pm

Mr. Lehner posted nothing the least little bit offensive. And he certainly didn't make it personal. It has always surprised me when folks get ticked off at an opinion and react as if it was a personal attack. BTW, not all posts require a reply ... it's known as "over-posting." Better to keep quiet and let others think you're stupid than spout off and remove all doubt.

Denny has evolved to the point he doesn't bother to jump in every time he reads something he doesn't agree with. Sometimes (many times) a post speaks for itself and everyone knows it's silly when it's silly.