Greg Strobel Passes

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Greg Strobel Passes

Post by jdalu75 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:21 pm

I just heard the shocking news that Greg Strobel passed away in his sleep last night. Paul Weibel's father had a fishing date with him this morning and found him.

I just found out within the past five minutes; I don't have any details yet.

legger

Re: Greg Strobel Passes

Post by legger » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:49 pm

**** I just cannot believe it. How do you describe Greg? Whatever you say doesn’t do him justice. Everyone who met him was better because of knowing him. I often have thought back to the times we played golf. Greg was “real”, no pretense or excuses. He tried to have time for everyone. Most of all I considered Greg a friend. Rest In Peace. One of the greats is gone.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:54 pm

legger wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:49 pm **** I just cannot believe it. How do you describe Greg? Whatever you say doesn’t do him justice. Everyone who met him was better because of knowing him. I often have thought back to the times we played golf. Greg was “real”, no pretense or excuses. He tried to have time for everyone. Most of all I considered Greg a friend. Rest In Peace. One of the greats is gone.
One of my favorite Strobelisms is when he would say that he HAD to play golf the next day!
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:49 am

Morning Call article:
https://www.mcall.com/sports/college/mc ... story.html

:cry: He was, and always will be... the Coach.

He was the kind of coach, imho, you would walk through walls. climb mountains, jump impossible barriers for.
For the wrestlers he mentored in the past he made them into a better people... it's so heartbreaking to know he has passed on (and so SUDDENLY, as well!)

This is truly, a sad day for all of us.
I surely will miss his presence at the matches.
David D. Day aka D3 for LU
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
ms64

Post by ms64 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:18 am

Legger and D3 are good enough for me.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:34 am

Really shocking news....Greg was a giant for Lehigh. What he did for our program can not be over-stated. And he did it with class. Even the worst calls didn't prevent him from showing restraint and respect for the officials. He made all Lehigh alums proud to be fans. RIP my friend.
HFO

Post by HFO » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:45 am

I cannot recall a sadder day in decades for LEHIGH. Greg always had a smile and a level of compassion rare in life. So sad for his daughters. LEHIGH community must do him proud. Rally around the needs of his family. Do something good for both LEHIGH and USA Wrestling. This makes me sad today, but in face of tragedy at Foxcatcher so happy that Greg and his family made LEHIGH their home. GOD, he was beyond a fine human being. Will miss seeing him at matches same as the day Gerry was not there anymore.
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 am

One of the all time great 190 lbrs. Saw him wrestle at Grace Hall. Total stud.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:32 am

OMG. At such a young age. Amazing what he accomplished in the sport of wrestling in his life. As a Lehigh fan I will forever be thankful for what he did for the program. A good man and a class act.
ikeremix

Post by ikeremix » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:38 am

Great coach and man.

I had a couple interactions with him while on campus - but my first was as an ignorant and arrogant freshman in 2004. The interaction came in the form of email correspondence. One of the Ciasulli (can't remember if it was Seth or Matt) brothers hadn't wrestled the first few duals of the season. After one of the matches and a night of drinking on the Hill I decided to email Coach Strobel (who I didn't know), whose email was readily available on LUs website.

The point of my obnoxiously long email was that I grew up in the Lehigh Valley and knew Matt/Seth's talent was better than what we were putting out there at the weight. And like the entitled and arrogant kid that I was, I wanted to know why he wasn't wrestling for us at the time.

Waking up the next morning, after a trip to the Goose, I was a little embarrassed having remembered the email. But forgot about it, knowing there was no way in Hell he would read it, let alone respond to a random student's email that was sent at 4am in the morning. Well later that week I received a lengthy response from Coach Strobel - first thanking me for my support and interest in the team/program. He then went on to delicately explain that Matt/Seth needed some extra time to acclimate to his new weight but they expected him back in the near future.

One of the classiest emails i've received in response to probably one of the least classy emails i've ever written. Very sad to hear this news, but I'm sure he's left his impact on many.