Matt Rodriguez

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
TMH

Re: Matt Rodriguez

Post by TMH » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:39 pm

There are/were plenty of individuals with these kind of credentials out there in HS. I always wondered how well it translates into college. There are always questions about how well they can persevere when not getting those 1st period pins or how do they react from the bottom when they are rarely there?
On the flip side however, you can never really rule then out of a match either if they can pin at any time.

I haven't watched Rodriguez in action this year and I assume if I had access to all 61 matches, it would probably take less than an hour to watch so I have no idea how many pinning combinations he has used or whether he is just really adept at just a few. Time will tell but I expect a real learning curve at the next level.

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:54 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:20 pm
whiz wit wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:10 pm
NothingMeaningful wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:55 pm

Brandon Womack had 327 pins in high school (although that started in seventh grade). I'm guessing that a whole lot of them were first period pins. Alabama, but still...

Lewis Fernandes had 37 pins his senior year (out of 38 matches (he was challenged to score lots of points instead of pinning in that other match), 35 in the first period, and 24 in the first minute. His ten matches in the state tournaments (district/region/state) took 9:14 total. That's New Jersey.
That's also heavyweight. (Still very impressive, though.)
And as an undersized heavy, to boot:

"Fernandes only weighed 236 pounds at the state tournament this year. He was 225 last year when he won as the No. 6 seed."

Not sure 236 is much undersized at the high school level in N.J. And the big kids tend to be unathletic, under skilled fat boys.
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:39 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:39 pm ...

I haven't watched Rodriguez in action this year and I assume if I had access to all 61 matches, it would probably take less than an hour to watch so I have no idea how many pinning combinations he has used or whether he is just really adept at just a few. Time will tell but I expect a real learning curve at the next level.
I haven't seen much either, but what I've seen makes me think that Darian Cruz will be excellent coach for him. I hope that works out next year.

With the return of Cornell and Princeton there will be a couple of elite 125s coming back into the EIWA mix. Can't remember if the Penn blue chipper is 125 or 133 and am too lazy to look it up.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:59 pm

I'll take Lane over most. He's going to hurt a few tops seeds in St. Louis.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:24 pm

Interesting situation. Matt R has 5 years pf Eligibility. Suppose he could be 125 all years. But likely not. Maybe not at all.

And we have Seymour. 5 years left, likely all 125. Like Troy Minarovic. Never mnd

And we have lane, No idea how many years he will yet wrestle 2-5 (I was going to say 2-4 but he could get a 2024 Olympic RS,) And who knows final weight.

Like Mookie I would not be surprised if he wrestles as late as Friday night at St Louis
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:33 pm

LU in the Hub wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:39 pm
TMH wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:39 pm ...

I haven't seen much either, but what I've seen makes me think that Darian Cruz will be excellent coach for him. I hope that works out next year.

With the return of Cornell and Princeton there will be a couple of elite 125s coming back into the EIWA mix. Can't remember if the Penn blue chipper is 125 or 133 and am too lazy to look it up.
Colaiocco was at 125 last year (his freshman year). So he and Arujau will be sophomores, and Glory will be a junior. Manchio (who pinned Paetzell) from Columbia will also be a junior. Lots of competition next year at 125.

(There's also the outside chance that Arujau will be at 133 next year, and 125 filled by the next Diakomihalis)
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:05 pm

I've heard that the next time we see Colaiocco he'll be at 141. Gage Curry will be back for a 6th year, as will Kizhan Clarke at 149.

Lane's situation is odd since this year doesn't count and he can still file for a medical hardship replacement for his true freshman year. So he has three years of eligibility remaining if he wants and he hasn't redshirted yet. For the next few years I probably won't try to figure out what any wrestler's eligibility is. Between greyshirt years, redshirt years, Covid years, and multiple Olympic redshirt years, we're going to see guys closer to 30 than 20 by the time they graduate, or at least exhaust their eligibility.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:16 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:05 pm I've heard that the next time we see Colaiocco he'll be at 141. Gage Curry will be back for a 6th year, as will Kizhan Clarke at 149.

Lane's situation is odd since this year doesn't count and he can still file for a medical hardship replacement for his true freshman year. So he has three years of eligibility remaining if he wants and he hasn't redshirted yet. For the next few years I probably won't try to figure out what any wrestler's eligibility is. Between greyshirt years, redshirt years, Covid years, and multiple Olympic redshirt years, we're going to see guys closer to 30 than 20 by the time they graduate, or at least exhaust their eligibility.
Then there is the other interesting question of who will finish at the same school they started at. Most should be way past their undergraduate days.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:20 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:05 pm I've heard that the next time we see Colaiocco he'll be at 141.
Colaiocco wrestled Arujau at 125 on January 8. (who knows what the actual weight was), losing to Vito 11-0 in 3:40. Gonna go up two weight classes in nine months?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:24 pm

Matt Rodriguez just won the 132 lb state championship... isnt he more likely a 133 or 141 in college than a 125? Has he said he was wrestling “up” for more of a challenge or something?