Expectations-Wrestling

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
TMH

Expectations-Wrestling

Post by TMH » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:35 am

I posted this on the basketball thread but since many if not most fans don't follow both sports, I think it applies here too.

The beginning of the winter season (and all Lehigh Athletics) is only 1 week away. I've been trying to figure out where our expectations should be by listening to podcasts or reading articles on each of the sports. Pretty much across the board, coaches are setting the bar pretty low with regard to how we will perform.

The five week shutdown earlier due to a Covid outbreak apparently really affected conditioning and training. Regulations have impacted how we prepare for the season and with regard to basketball, the teams were going to be quite young with big, impactful freshman classes.

My rooting interest will always be there but I think I will be watching with an eye to the future more than the present. I have no idea how Covid has impacted other programs so maybe there is an equalizing impact but for now, I'm taking the bait and keeping my expectations low and focusing on the development of the young players because I have faith in the future. The present is still too uncertain.

Just my opinion.

D3 for LU

Re: Expectations-Wrestling

Post by D3 for LU » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:25 pm

For these days, it's a good bet to keep those expectations on the down/low.
If the team exceed those expectations, bonus for us! 8-)

Keep in mind, some individuals may (OR may not) test positive, and the second (or third) inline will have to step up and step in (AND perform.)
Some duals may get zorched, due to excessive positive results across the board.
Uncertain times ahead of us... take it one at a time.

But glad to see an attempt is being made at some semblance of a season.
D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:20 pm

I think wrestling differs from the other sports if only because of the weight class restrictions and the "in the face" kind of contact involved.

I'm told that wrestling was the hardest hit sport in terms of infections on campus during the October shutdown. Wrestlers primarily work out with those in the same or nearby weight class. I believe I read that the athletes are being tested 3 X per week. If one tests positive, how many others does that impact in terms of contact tracing and isolation. Depth may be a real issue not only at Lehigh but everywhere else. Handicapping any meet will be a real crapshoot in a sport that already deals with a plethora of injuries, illnesses, weight management and yes skin infections.

We are likely to see a whole lot of youngsters on the mat this year and as I said the opportunity to assess the future rather than the present but keep our rooting interests alive.

Here's to 2021.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:39 pm

TMH wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:20 pm We are likely to see a whole lot of youngsters on the mat this year
Other than that the projected tournament guys need enough bouts to get sharp and qualify, I don't see any downside to the true freshmen wrestling.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:51 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:39 pm
TMH wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:20 pm We are likely to see a whole lot of youngsters on the mat this year
Other than that the projected tournament guys need enough bouts to get sharp and qualify, I don't see any downside to the true freshmen wrestling.
Has there been any word on the qualification requirement with the abbreviated schedules, certain reductions in open tournaments and the lingering question of having to sit out due to covid?
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:34 am

TMH wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:51 pm
jdalu75 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:39 pm
Has there been any word on the qualification requirement with the abbreviated schedules, certain reductions in open tournaments and the lingering question of having to sit out due to covid?
Four Div I bouts minimum, or else a wrestler has to win his conference tournament outright. Pre-allocated spots based on an average of the past five years. A wrestler who doesn't win but finishes in one of the pre-allocated spots, without a total of four bouts, does not qualify. At-large spots are similar to past years, but there's no RPI this year; instead placing in the 2019 tournament or seeding for the 2020 tournament are factors.

In print, the four bouts must be at weight; I've been told that they actually don't need to be, but that's not in print yet.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:17 pm

It feels as if this will be almost like an exhibition season with people jockeying for tournament qualification. A good time to see what we have coming up. An * type season, but as is said, 'all you can do is beat who they put in front of you.'
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:58 pm

ngineer wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:17 pm It feels as if this will be almost like an exhibition season with people jockeying for tournament qualification. A good time to see what we have coming up. An * type season, but as is said, 'all you can do is beat who they put in front of you.'
Along those lines, I suspect that the "fifth year" the NCAA is allowing is designed to keep better wrestlers in the lineup for this season. Maybe they figured the best guys would figure a way to sit this one out otherwise.