EIWA

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
JAD77

Re: EIWA

Post by JAD77 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:24 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:21 pm Can I assume Bucknell's Hartman was OW? Defeating a 2 time champ?
Yes he was. Thought Lane might have had a shot at it too, as he only allowed one point.

Coaches' Trophy for Outstanding Wrestler of the EIWA Championships
Zach Hartman, Bucknell University

John Fletcher Memorial Award for most cumulative team points at the EIWA Championships during his
career
Jordan Wood, Lehigh University -- 87.0 points

Billy Sheridan Memorial Award for most falls in least time in the championship bracket
John Jakobsen, Lehigh University, 2 falls in 9:34

EIWA Coach of the Year, voted by the head coaches
Pat Santoro, Lehigh University

Good Sportsmanship Award, voted by the working officials of the EIWA Championships
Long Island University

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:47 pm

On the basketball forum I was recently reminded of Gettysburg college getting the recognition for national sportsmanship, 1975 I think their last year in D1. They lost to Lehigh's truly atrocious 1-23 Basketball team.

Sportsmanship award belongs at the NCAA tournament. But with 55-65 trams and 20-24 officials that could be rough
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:29 am

JAD77 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:24 pm
Richb-3 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:21 pm Can I assume Bucknell's Hartman was OW? Defeating a 2 time champ?
Yes he was. Thought Lane might have had a shot at it too, as he only allowed one point.

Coaches' Trophy for Outstanding Wrestler of the EIWA Championships
Zach Hartman, Bucknell University

John Fletcher Memorial Award for most cumulative team points at the EIWA Championships during his
career
Jordan Wood, Lehigh University -- 87.0 points

Billy Sheridan Memorial Award for most falls in least time in the championship bracket
John Jakobsen, Lehigh University, 2 falls in 9:34

EIWA Coach of the Year, voted by the head coaches
Pat Santoro, Lehigh University

Good Sportsmanship Award, voted by the working officials of the EIWA Championships
Long Island University
Sets up an interesting year for Wood at the 2022 EIWA. First 5x champ. Would his Fletcher calculation next year be based on his 5-year career or his past four seasons?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:12 pm

I thought about the Fletcher thing also. Probably should be based on 4 best tournaments. I think yesterday he did not get a bye point. If he did get a bye point, he should have gotten 1 for last year. Both only had 1 pin for bonus. I think he had a pin and a dft each of his first 2 years
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:48 pm

The Fletcher Award isn't up for our vote; it's run by a committee, currently chaired (I believe) by Wayne Hicks. Its rules are numerous.

I've wondered about Jordan coming back next year, but it's not as though any special accommodation has been made for him. Lots of people over the next half-decade can wrestle in five EIWAs -- Hines is off to a great start and he can compete in five tournaments. The only issue is that repeat winners need to win their weight class the second time around. DeStito, Mark Kerr, Jantzen, and Garrett have all done that.