Week-End Salvo

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Week-End Salvo

Post by Oracle » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:59 am

Olympic Qualifier will have some terrific battles in just about every weight. Barring injury, the U.S. will have a very strong team traveling to Japan this summer. The rest of the world is pretty formidable, but I like our chances to dominate -- that is, as much as any team can dominate.

Back to Lehigh.

There are those who perpetually see 'half-empty' when evaluating our program. Most of us do not prefer to live that way. These are young men who put in a tremendous amount of effort...sometimes they make it, sometimes not. Should they be ravaged for not measuring up? Should the coaching staff be criticized for not having a top 10 program? Not if you call yourself a fan of this particular program. Full disclosure? I have private conversations with other fans regarding wrestlers strengths and weaknesses. Emphasis on 'private.'

LU has 2 wrestlers who are proven national-caliber athletes: Wood (who has indicated he will return in 21-22) and Humphreys. Lehigh also have some guys who can definitely rise to the NCAA AA level by the time they graduate: Lane (almost placed in the first grouping), Hines, Lawrence, Logan....that's 60% of the line-up. Unknown quantities due to shortened COVID season and injuries: Paetzell, McGonagle, Bryant, Moran, Hoffman.

Does LU need recruiting help at a couple of weights? Yes. We could use 184/197 as everyone knows. Ryan Crookham and PJ Casale on-boarding after this year is a huge positive. No need to think coach Santoro can't find the guys he needs and then develop them. He always has. No way can we look at this past year and make any judgments or come to any conclusions about Lehigh wrestling. Just not fair.

Have a great weekend everyone!

gimpeltf

Re: Week-End Salvo

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:05 am

Oracle wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:59 am Olympic Qualifier will have some terrific battles in just about every weight. Barring injury, the U.S. will have a very strong team traveling to Japan this summer. The rest of the world is pretty formidable, but I like our chances to dominate -- that is, as much as any team can dominate.
I'm just now reading that J'Den Cox missed weight (and that's up a weight?)
BP-LU87

Post by BP-LU87 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:48 am

Suriano is out due to positive COVID result
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:19 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:05 am
Oracle wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:59 am Olympic Qualifier will have some terrific battles in just about every weight. Barring injury, the U.S. will have a very strong team traveling to Japan this summer. The rest of the world is pretty formidable, but I like our chances to dominate -- that is, as much as any team can dominate.
I'm just now reading that J'Den Cox missed weight (and that's up a weight?)
The story is that Cox was (just!) late to weigh-ins, and thus was out.

In EIWA-on-EIWA action, Wood lost his first match to Garrett Ryan (Columbia) 8-3. Wood was the aggressor throughout, but got tossed on a counter for four points in the second period to put it out of reach.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:00 pm

Good post by O ... fyi, I re-published excerpts from an Okla City paper which defended Daton Fix from reader posts; he, after all, is only a 2x NCAA 2nd and World medalist, called him a "disappointment" "pathetic" ..."choker" (just crushed Last Chance champion, Russell, 110-0 (it was ten).

I hear better remarks than that about our season, by far, but one of my readers asked if I thought J Wood was "HEW"
Actually, I don't -- but will address this more in my 4/15 LUWN. That heroic last sec TD/NF vs. Thomas was the cat's meow for caring.

I've now got critics who feel the sport has passed the staff by. Never mind how good Humphreys was before redshirting; never mind what Paetzell did last yr vs. this year's ncaa 2,3; never mind who got Covid in pro & college sports or was lucky enough not to. I have no idea how many got it on our roster but would bet a lot it was more than 2-3. The after effects can be short or can be long haul but getting it at all during such a short season? Their bodies, not ours as fans (how many of you got it?). Good job, O.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Regarding the OP, I'd list Paetzell as AA quality. I believe he was preseason 5 or 7 at 125. We saw him once...at 141. What a strange ride the season was for him. Love to hear his story someday.
legger

Post by legger » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 pm

**** I along with all 4 of us in our household were “Lucky Enough” to contract Covid. February was not a fun time. Personally I had a 103-104 fever for 2 weeks, extreme headache, body aches, nausea and fatigue the entire time. I lived on 4 quarts of ice water a day and some soup. My Dr. offered to write me a script so I could get a monoclonal infusion (Regeneron), which I did, and it kept me from having to be hospitalized.

I lost 15 pounds in the process. It is definitely something you don’t just bounce back from. Thankfully I am now almost 90% back strength and endurance-wise. I just received my 2nd vaccination today. I used to joke that I was too darn ornery to get Covid, but I did and it pretty much kicked my butt.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:10 pm

legger wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 pm **** I along with all 4 of us in our household were “Lucky Enough” to contract Covid. February was not a fun time. Personally I had a 103-104 fever for 2 weeks, extreme headache, body aches, nausea and fatigue the entire time. I lived on 4 quarts of ice water a day and some soup. My Dr. offered to write me a script so I could get a monoclonal infusion (Regeneron), which I did, and it kept me from having to be hospitalized.

I lost 15 pounds in the process. It is definitely something you don’t just bounce back from. Thankfully I am now almost 90% back strength and endurance-wise. I just received my 2nd vaccination today. I used to joke that I was too darn ornery to get Covid, but I did and it pretty much kicked my butt.
Supposedly the vaccine can eliminate long haul symptoms. Not sure if any vaccine but good luck.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:31 am

So Covid-19 is no better a way to lose 15-20 pounds than Giardia?
legger

Post by legger » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:23 pm

**** Rich B: I had that as well around 1980 from drinking from springs while hiking and camping on the Appalachian Trail. Also no fun but Covid was worse. I think I will pass on any other “little known diseases”. I did end up in the hospital for 2 days but a dose of Flagel and a couple bags of saline and I was fine.