Jack Wilt

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
gimpeltf

Re: Jack Wilt

Post by gimpeltf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:05 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:59 am Rankings and seedings are different? Wow man, news flash, thanks for that tidbit of information...I never would have guessed.....
You're the one that brought it up

Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:16 am

Lol, no kidding?

I brought up that in this case it seems odd, not that there isn't any difference, you don't have to be a wrestling savant to know that.....
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:39 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:16 am Lol, no kidding?

I brought up that in this case it seems odd, not that there isn't any difference, you don't have to be a wrestling savant to know that.....
Then why bring it up and why attack me for answering? NJ normally uses specific criteria based on previous year's performance. And you're applauding yourself for knowing the answer.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:04 am

I'm applauding myself for not knowing the answer.....lol

Feel like you're more applauding yourself for stating the obvious instead of providing specifics applying to Mr. Wilt's seeding....Is asking for any knowledge concerning a wrestler's specific seeding somehow crossing one of this forum's mysterious "lines"? The target keeps moving on what is "acceptable" to discuss and how it is "acceptable" to be discussed thus limiting pretty much any discussion at all......maybe that's the goal......
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:04 am I'm applauding myself for not knowing the answer.....lol

Feel like you're more applauding yourself for stating the obvious instead of providing specifics applying to Mr. Wilt's seeding....Is asking for any knowledge concerning a wrestler's specific seeding somehow crossing one of this forum's mysterious "lines"? The target keeps moving on what is "acceptable" to discuss and how it is "acceptable" to be discussed thus limiting pretty much any discussion at all......maybe that's the goal......
Wow. Who was limiting discussion? And why would any of us here know the specifics? Agreed at one point a few years back I might have been able to be more specific. Had you asked me directly if I knew I would have answered differently. But you put out a Captain Obvious question. The basic answer should have been obvious and then when given you still complain.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:30 am

OK chief, whatever you say......you're wrong.....but OK.....

Since we've now firmly established interpretation is strongly lacking on this board and some individuals in particular (working with computers seems to make one not understand nuance, not that I'm pointing fingers at anyone in particular)... does anyone know why Mr Wilt is only seeded third in region when he is ranked first in the state by NJ.com.....I understand criteria and how it works but being from Western NY I don't have a strong grasp of his record versus opponents, weight movement and so on in NJ..... Is he "over ranked" at being #1? Does NJ.com have a history of poor ranking quality? Does anyone from NJ or really anyone have a better understanding of his situation?
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am

I think the problem is that this has been a very strange and short season for NJ wrestling. Some schools wrestled little. There were very few head to head matchups and sometimes even common opponents.

Wilt is somewhat of a strange phenomena. He wrestled at 160# last year. Comparisons are tough when you are wrestling 35# heavier. He wrestled 1 bout at 220# this year.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:46 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:30 am OK chief, whatever you say......you're wrong.....but OK.....

Since we've now firmly established interpretation is strongly lacking on this board and some individuals in particular (working with computers seems to make one not understand nuance, not that I'm pointing fingers at anyone in particular)... does anyone know why Mr Wilt is only seeded third in region when he is ranked first in the state by NJ.com.....I understand criteria and how it works but being from Western NY I don't have a strong grasp of his record versus opponents, weight movement and so on in NJ..... Is he "over ranked" at being #1? Does NJ.com have a history of poor ranking quality? Does anyone from NJ or really anyone have a better understanding of his situation?
And again, you ask the same question that you claim to understand. Not the one about what is the criteria, that's fine but asking why the ranking is different from the seeding. They're different because the concepts are different. Some years back when I was working the event and was at the seeding meeting they were doing 103. An incoming freshman was likely the best kid (at least from a ranking standpoint) at the weight. They seeded the 8 region champs at that point. He had no criteria so guess what? He was seeded 8th! I said something about it but was rebuffed as in they had no choice. He lost a tight match in the finals to Clendenin beating the top seed in the quarters. I realize this kid (Wilt) isn't a freshman but the point remains the same. (And I see TMH just added he's moved up a few weights since last year-Wilt not TMH) Rankings are subjective and at least in NJ seedings are objective. It doesn't mean the seeds are bad nor does it mean the rankings are bad. They are simply different and this does confirm what you said about interpretations being lacking on this board. Look in the mirror!
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 am

You really just don't get it do you? Fascinating......

Thanks for the info provided TMH
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:38 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 am You really just don't get it do you? Fascinating......

Thanks for the info provided TMH
Absolutely right. I don't get that you don't get it. It's very simple.